Author Topic: Buying New Posters Directly from the Studios  (Read 48938 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Buying New Posters Directly from the Studios
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Heres one:

http://drafthousefilms.com/

Some interesting movies.  It took me a minute to find the posters, but you just click the thumbnail for the movie, and then there are a bunch of items on the left margin, such as posters, DVDs, t-shirts, etc.  There's some cool art on the posters, and fair prices.  8)  thumbup
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:47:21 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 12:25:52 AM »
You can buy three full-size re-release quads, including Metropolis, from Eureka here:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/posters.html

Cheaper priced copies (but not repros) are popping up on ebay. One example, of DI, here for $20.00 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARBARA-STANWYCK-Billy-Wilder-DOUBLE-INDEMNITY-2012-Quad-Poster-30X40-Rolled-/351072443805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bd8c5d9d
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:27:13 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
I haven't had time to find any more than the two mentioned in my first comment, but if I see any other distributors or studios selling originals or prints directly to the public, I'll post them here.

Thanks for that !!!    So I wouldn't say "any person can buy these" but "any person with knowledge of where to look can buy these" :)

As for the flippers, doing all this for less than 10 USD profit, it is worst than a dog's life !!  But then flippers are no more than dogs

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
Thanks for that !!!    So I wouldn't say "any person can buy these" but "any person with knowledge of where to look can buy these" :)

As for the flippers, doing all this for less than 10 USD profit, it is worst than a dog's life !! 

No problem.

The Under the Skin and Spring Breakers one sheets, Metropolis re-release quad, and probably others, have sold for several times more than the distributor sells them for.

But then flippers are no more than dogs

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
Back in the late 60's you could write to Hammer films for certain posters and they would forward them to you for free. Now-a-days those posters are worth 3 figure sums... Go figure.. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

captonron

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
I can't seem to win with A24

I ordered the Under the Skin poster.  The first one came with a rip in it.  So I emailed them and told them.  They sent a replacement, but this ones edges are all crinkled from sliding around in the tube.

I guess I just won't have a decent Under the Skin poster

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
They must be morons there. How difficult can it be to ship a rolled poster the right way? It ain't rocket science.

Especially since Neo emailed them a while ago, and told them of their less-than-stellar shipping for this poster.

Either that... or they just don't care.  :-X
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:32:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
I forgot to update my experience with A24.  I sent an email about the damaged Under the Skin one sheet, and they sent me a replacement the same day, and emailed me the tracking number. 

In the email I sent them about the damaged poster, I told them about rolling the poster in a sheet of Kraft paper, wider than the poster, and just shorter than the tube, to protect the ends.  The new one did arrive with Kraft paper, but the poster wasn't rolled in it, the Kraft paper was just in the tube, so the poster could still slosh around, very strange.  Luckily, FedEx didn't handle the package like a maraca, and the poster was undamaged.  8)

captonron

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
Both of my posters came with the paper around it, but both of them are damaged.

I don't have it in me to email them again about it.  I'll just live with the damage...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
I was lucky.  Paper around it, and it arrive in perfect shape.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
My copy was undamaged, and there was a handwritten note thanking me for my order   :D

I'd buy from them again.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
Both of my posters came with the paper around it, but both of them are damaged.

I don't have it in me to email them again about it.  I'll just live with the damage...

Yeah, that stinks.  Was the poster rolled in the Kraft paper?  Mine was not.  It was like they took a sheet of Kraft paper, rolled it and put it in the tube, and then rolled the poster and stuck it inside of the roll of Kraft paper.  :-\ 

If that's what happened to you, I'd recommend just sending them an email and describing that they have to actually place the poster on top of the Kraft paper, then roll the two together, and tape the Kraft paper, so the poster can't slosh around freely in the tube.  They seem like reasonable people and would probably appreciate knowing the correct method, and may make it right.

captonron

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
Yes, both times, the poster was actually rolled in the paper.

First time, it was rolled in the paper, and had crumbled up paper on each end of the tube to prevent sliding.  But they rolled it up with the stiff COA they give you and the poster tore. The tear is right at the edge of where the COA was. I'm assuming it tore during packaging trying to get the COA to roll up enough to fit in the tube.

Second time, it was rolled in the paper, but there wasn't any crumbled paper at each end of the tube, so the poster just slide around and damaged the ends of the poster.  The COA was in the triangular tube they ship the poster tube in, instead of rolled up with the poster.

I really wanted a mint or close to it poster, but I just can't contact them again about.  From the stories of others here, there haven't been any issues really. I'm 2 for 2 with damage and I don't think they will believe that I'm having these issues when others don't seem to be.  And simply, just don't want to go through the process again.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that, CR.  It sounds like on the second try, even though they rolled the poster in Kraft paper, they didn't make the Kraft paper wide enough to protect the ends, that is, wider than the poster and just shorter than the tube (with or without padding on the ends).

I'm kind of the same way, after more than one attempt, I don't expect the seller to figure out how to package the item correctly.

On the bright side, at least you scored a cool Under the Skin one sheet for a small fraction of what the eBay scalpers are selling them for.  8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:55:16 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
These character one sheets for The Rover (2014) are now available at A24. 

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
Since this thread is titled "Buying New Posters Directly From Studios", I ask, can one buy posters directly from the studio and/or distributors. Who does sell these posters? Other than the buyers I see on the internet or ebay, where do they get their posters to sell online?

Look I am not interested in making money by reselling posters (especially new releases) but mainly interested in expanding my collection. But it would seem we could all benefit by collectively buying from a distributor and stop the overpaying that occurs from sellers on EBAY. Agree? cool1
Rudy

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
Since this thread is titled "Buying New Posters Directly From Studios", I ask, can one buy posters directly from the studio and/or distributors.

There are a few sellers on eBay and elsewhere who buy posters directly from distributors, usually in bulk quantities.  As others have said here, most studios and distributors don't sell items individually to folks like us.

it would seem we could all benefit by collectively buying from a distributor and stop the overpaying that occurs from sellers on EBAY. Agree? cool1

Agreed.

cheers

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
As said before, the days of buying directly from the studios is over and even when that was going on it was normally 1K - 5K plus posters you had to buy to get them. They also were not being sold for fractions of a dollar like the stone age NSS selling days, the studios were making money on these sales, think thousands here, not $500 gets you 1000 posters. There is not a title out there that would sell that kind of quantity anymore. While the hobby is still strong on the collectible side, the casual home theater, bedroom wall buyer base is probably a 1/3 of what it was 10 years ago or even 5 years ago for that matter.

Some of the smaller studios, if you catch them on a good day, might sell from time to time, but those are few and far between as well.

I am speaking to my pricing, but this holds water as a general rule, 90% of the new releases on ebay are priced below what you can buy them for on the "wholesale" market, so I really dont see the price gouging at all. The top 10-20 box office films a year you may have to pay what is considered retail unless you roll the dice and buy at auction and get your poster shipped to you in a triangle mailer or a wrapping paper core.

Even if you could still buy into a run, raise your hand if you want to gamble on 1000 pieces of a film that tanks and you have 975 of them left you cant get rid of.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
As said before, the days of buying directly from the studios is over and even when that was going on it was normally 1K - 5K plus posters you had to buy to get them. They also were not being sold for fractions of a dollar like the stone age NSS selling days, the studios were making money on these sales, think thousands here, not $500 gets you 1000 posters. There is not a title out there that would sell that kind of quantity anymore. While the hobby is still strong on the collectible side, the casual home theater, bedroom wall buyer base is probably a 1/3 of what it was 10 years ago or even 5 years ago for that matter.

Some of the smaller studios, if you catch them on a good day, might sell from time to time, but those are few and far between as well.

I am speaking to my pricing, but this holds water as a general rule, 90% of the new releases on ebay are priced below what you can buy them for on the "wholesale" market, so I really dont see the price gouging at all. The top 10-20 box office films a year you may have to pay what is considered retail unless you roll the dice and buy at auction and get your poster shipped to you in a triangle mailer or a wrapping paper core.

Even if you could still buy into a run, raise your hand if you want to gamble on 1000 pieces of a film that tanks and you have 975 of them left you cant get rid of.

Thanks for the info, Dale.  Them times back in the good ole days with the NSS sales, Hammer studio, etc. are really incredible.  I was under the impression that some people still bought posters from the studios, in fairly large bulk lots and not necessarily all for the same title, for newer films.  Interesting to know that's not the case any more, and that explains why some sellers have a few (maybe a handful) for newer titles, and then they're apparently sold out.  If you ever find out and want to let us know about some of the smaller studios selling their stuff from time to time, that would be cool.

The only price gouging I was referring to here is about the few posters that are available from distributors such as A24.  In cases like that, this thread is very helpful for people who may not have known about being able to buy them directly from the distributors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:25:17 PM by NeoLoco »

guest4637

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
I took a chance and ordered an UNDER THE SKIN poster from A24 directly. I hope it ships safely.

Thanks to this thread and op for pointing out the sales here. I had no idea otherwise and scoured ebay and almost forked over twice the amount.

thumbsup.gif

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
The poster for 'Tusk' is up at A24 now too

http://a24films.bigcartel.com/product/tusk-br-official-poster

guest4637

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 01:00:26 AM »
I got my UNDER THE SKIN poster, I ordered it thursday it arrived on friday! Wrapped in oversized paper and a sturdy tube. Perfect and super fast! A24 is terrific!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 04:10:07 AM »
I got my UNDER THE SKIN poster, I ordered it thursday it arrived on friday! Wrapped in oversized paper and a sturdy tube. Perfect and super fast! A24 is terrific!
I tried to contact them, despite the option to choose which country to ship to from a massive drop down that lists ALL the countries, they indicated that they could not ship outside the U.S. due to merchandising rights.   :(

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »
Good eye Wonka...

I must be older than you 'cause I saw this when I saw that.