Author Topic: Lookng forward to being a member!  (Read 8489 times)

boxofficebrian

Lookng forward to being a member!
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
Hello all!

I'm Brian and I'm from Pittsburgh PA... I'm a big fan of movies and craft beer. I also maintain the website www.Boxofficebrewreview.com.

I just recently got into the world of original movie posters and I'm trying not to get consumed to quickly...for space and financial reasons ;) and for my wife's health ROFL.

For years I've been a collector of original Fantasy art (primarily Magic the Gathering) and my walls are plastered with paintings.

I decided that I’d love to have a one sheet in my living room/ home theater…My wife made me a deal and said that if I sold a painting that she disliked, I could buy a poster and hang it in the painting’s place.

When I was a child, I was given a Star Wars poster and told to hold onto it because it might be worth something some day. In college, I sold it on Ebay for quick cash and didn’t think about the sentimental aspects.

I regretted it for years and have wanted to replace it. This was my chance!

It turns out that the one I was given in my youth was a video store version… I decided to get my hands on a real one sheet- so this is my first poster and it shall remain on my wall forever!

I lurked this forum for weeks and read through countless threads… I wanted to make sure that I was buying the real McCoy and that I handled and framed it accordingly. My framer had experience with one sheets and used UV filtered Plexi, acid free foam board and NO adhesive of any kind – (He only charged me $268! Because I have so much framed)

Now that I have my first piece, I’m hooked… I just picked up a 78 re-release for Gone With the Wind for $18 (I’ll be hitting Dario up soon to look into linen backing.)

I also have my first regret- I passed up an Anatomy of Murder one sheet (the yellow and white one that says #1) for $26… it was in REALLY bad shape, but definitely restorable… It would have been cool on my walls… you live and learn.

Well, I’ll stop yapping… but looking forward to being here!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Lookng forward to being a member!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
 welcome1 , Brian.

What a great back story you posted, as well. And your framed SW poster looks great!

Just curious, is your '78RR for GWTW damaged or torn at all? Or are you wanting to linen back it to remove and flatten the folds?

Have fun!

Jeff

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Hi Jeff :)

My GWTW is in pretty good shape over all... I used a grading chart I found online (cinemasterpieces) and I'd call it a C7 to be conservative- but it's probably a solid C8. (i'll try and take some pictures tonight and post)

I figured with it not being very valuable, it might look better framed if it were linen backed for the folds.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
Good to know, Brian. And that's why I was curious about its condition.

When you said you paid $18.00 for the poster, I was curious if it needed repair, or if you were doing it more for the aesthetics, as the backing cost will be another 85-90.00.

Look forward to the pics, too.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
Welcome!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
Now what are your thoughts on folded vs. rolled posters?   ;D
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
And Brian, what a cool looking brew review site, you have.

I'm one that will try new, local or micro brews that might catch my eye, either in a pub or found in the local grocer's.

cheers

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
Now what are your thoughts on folded vs. rolled posters?   ;D

Thanks for the welcome Chris!

Boy- this is tough... I personally prefer rolled to hang on my walls.

I eventually want to hang in my house (rotating basis):
Legend
Goonies
GWTW
Star Wars (permant home)
American Tail

I would like all of these linen backed, or rolled...for presentation sake.

BUT... I would LOVE to one day own something along the lines of Casablanca, Kane, it's a Wonderful Life (prob. my #1 grail, dream poster to own), something bright and colorful from the 30's-50's that catches my fancy...

With those, I'd want folded and unrestored... there's just something about the folds, marks, pinholes- that I view as the history of those particular posters... as if they could sit down and talk to you about a forgotten age of cinema and the experience it was.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Chris!

Boy- this is tough... I personally prefer rolled to hang on my walls.

Legend
Goonies
GWTW
Star Wars (permant home)
American Tail

I would like all of these linen backed, or rolled...for presentation sake.

BUT... I would LOVE to one day own something along the lines of Casablanca, Kane, it's a Wonderful Life (prob. my #1 grail, dream poster to own), something bright and colorful from the 30's-50's that catches my fancy...

With those, I'd want folded and unrestored... there's just something about the folds, marks, pinholes- that I view as the history of those particular posters... as if they could sit down and talk to you about a forgotten age of cinema and the experience it was.

So very true.

clap clap

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »
And Brian, what a cool looking brew review site, you have.

I'm one that will try new, local or micro brews that might catch my eye, either in a pub or found in the local grocer's.

cheers

Thanks Jeff- it's a labor of love for sure! If you are ever curious for suggestions of things to try just shoot me a PM and let me know what styles you enjoy :)    I think it's amazing how many thousands of beers there are and each one is esssetially made from the same basic ingrediants!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Legend
Goonies
GWTW
Star Wars (permant home)
American Tail

Hi Brian, welcome and good luck on your quest.  You'll have no problems finding Legend, Goonies and American Tail rolled.  They are all easy to find and cheap posters.  SW rolled is also available, but might cost you a little more.  GWTW, of course, would have to be linenbacked and the closer you get to 39' the more expensive it will be.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
OMG...You brought beer!

Welcome Brian! ..... to the show that never ends.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »
OMG...You brought beer!

Welcome Brian! ..... to the show that never ends.

cheers cheers cheers cheers

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
Welcome!
Witty signature goes here.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com