Author Topic: Why so many poster sizes?  (Read 16068 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Why so many poster sizes?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
I sense Thierry's frustration with the 30x40 question and subsequent lack of answers.  A thicker card stock for those theatres that wanted to pay more still does not explain why the size shifted slightly from the 1 Sheet.

What's quite fascinating to me is that even though we all collect this crap, we still don't have an answer as to why it even exists.

You're right, a little frustrating.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
It's called Advertising, or publicity. The more places you advertise the more people you reach, so to maximise to possibilities, you need big ones, little ones, ones that stick on buses, in windows, bill-boards, shops, bus-stops, anywhere people may see it and want to go to a view what's happening..    

Don't forget, when posters started, there was no Internet, T.V. or other means of advertising your promotion other than posters, or word of mouth. As the digital age moves on, we are seeing a lot less paper advertising, as they are now not need as such.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:32:24 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
And seriously what is up with those one step up from a medium sized French posters?!  What are those called again?  ;)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
Fella - not sure if I am thinking at cross purposes, but would you be talking about the Marler Haley set?

If so, the presentation was two quads and four DCs, not an FOH set.  Although, to confuse matters, a selection of the FOH 10x8 stills were pasted to the secondary quad poster and / or the DCs.

yes that's the one

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
There is a size I never see or hear about.  That would be long skinny ones that went above the windows on the inside of buses.  I certainly remember seeing those as a kid.  Were they locally produced, or simply a lost size?  These are the ones I am talking about
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
There is a size I never see or hear about.  That would be long skinny ones that went above the windows on the inside of buses.  I certainly remember seeing those as a kid.  Were they locally produced, or simply a lost size?  These are the ones I am talking about

in NYC there were (are still?) on trains and buses. A local company(s) printed and maintained their display. Sometimes you would be on a train and the guy would get on at one stop, swap out banners and get off at the next stop.

I tried to get some removed ones from a guy once and he was like "oh no.. we can't give these out.. uh-uh.. no."

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
What's quite fascinating to me is that even though we all collect this crap, we still don't have an answer as to why it even exists.

You're right, a little frustrating.

T

Splendid.  Hilarious.

Thankfully, I s'pose, the reason has more to do with the image and less to with the size. 

Indeed this is an idealogy that suits many scenarios - I tell myself...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
30x40 vs. 1S for "The Wrong Man":  They look similar but there are not the same:

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »

Like these from the late 60's, they are still used over her  , but are slightly bigger now..

It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »
Ohhhh ohhhhh. .. I want it 2.. :)