Author Topic: Why so many poster sizes?  (Read 16204 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Why so many poster sizes?
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
Historically speaking, does anyone know how the different poster sizes were used?

The insert, 1/2 sheet, lobby card set and one sheet, I can imagine them in front of theaters.

But why did they need window cards, 3 sheets in 2 pieces, 30x40in with white borders on the side, 40x60in or 6 sheets?  How did they put them up?  Where were they located?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Why so many poster sizes?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:48 AM »
Window cards were placed all over the town literally in shop windows

Not necessarily at the theatre itself...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:40:13 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »
3 sheets, 6 sheets, LC were often in displays at the (outside) front of the theaters, to the left and right of the ticket window, in display windows, or cases.

This awesome thread really shows many of the sizes and styles and how they were displayed, back in the day, too! :   thumbup

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5703.0.html

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:17:49 AM »
And just to answer the 3sht's in two pieces..

Most printers only take a 60x40 sheet, so there would be a run of the main section, and then the smaller piece would be printed twice on the same piece of 60x40 paper, and cut into two.

This is the case in the UK, I assume it's the same for the States..

Yes there are bigger printers, but the cost of them, don't make sense to buy when your most common poster size is smaller. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »
Are there any pictures of a 6 sheet in front of a theater?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:29 AM »
T,

Here's a 6 sheet in the open foyer, on the bottom, center-right of the photo, facing out to the street, for the 1940 movie, called Boss of Bullion City.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:20 AM »
depending on what theatre, 1sh, 3sh & lc's were displayed out front. half sheets and inserts in the outside lobby or the inside lobby.
one of the theatres I went to as a kid had a 6 sheet approx ground level on the side of the theatre around the corner from the entrance and a billboard above with a 24 sheet

30x40 were displayed in various areas inside and outside. 40x60 were for the most part used at drive-ins

window cards were usually displayed in store windows. In cities only in stores near the theatre, in small towns many stores would have them. The theatre usually gave free seats to store owners for displaying the cards or some other promotional consideration

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
But why did they need 3 sheets in 2 pieces?

Actually, 3-sheets were originally in 3 pieces. The first presses could only accommodate a 28 x 42 sheet (some places printed that size, and others 27 x 41). When larger sizes were created, they were just multiples of that, so 3-sheets printed on 3 one-sheet sized pieces (laid on their sides, to measure 41 x 81), 6-sheets printed on 6 one-sheet sized pieces, and 24-sheets printed on 24 one-sheet sized pieces. This was true into the late 1920s. In England, the "sheet" was 30 x 40, so English 3-sheets measured 40 x 90 or so.

In the late 1920s, presses that could print larger "two-sheet sized" pieces were developed, and three-sheets became two sections, six-sheets became 4 sections, and 24-sheets became 12 sections. It wasn't for many decades until a press was made that could print a three-sheet in one-section.

Almost no theaters had three-sheet or six-sheet frames. The vast majority of them were pasted or tacked or taped directly outdoors onto walls of buildings, which is why the bulk of them either survive in VERY "used condition" or in great condition (if they were unused). These posters were meant to be seen as you were driving or walking down the street from a good distance away, which is why the close detail is often not so carefully done (like where the sections matched) because one wouldn't notice such stuff from 50 or 100 feet away.

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
Actually, 3-sheets were originally in 3 pieces. The first presses could only accommodate a 28 x 42 sheet (some places printed that size, and others 27 x 41). When larger sizes were created, they were just multiples of that, so 3-sheets printed on 3 one-sheet sized pieces (laid on their sides, to measure 41 x 81), 6-sheets printed on 6 one-sheet sized pieces, and 24-sheets printed on 24 one-sheet sized pieces. This was true into the late 1920s. In England, the "sheet" was 30 x 40, so English 3-sheets measured 40 x 90 or so.

In the late 1920s, presses that could print larger "two-sheet sized" pieces were developed, and three-sheets became two sections, six-sheets became 4 sections, and 24-sheets became 12 sections. It wasn't for many decades until a press was made that could print a three-sheet in one-section.

Almost no theaters had three-sheet or six-sheet frames. The vast majority of them were pasted or tacked or taped directly outdoors onto walls of buildings, which is why the bulk of them either survive in VERY "used condition" or in great condition (if they were unused). These posters were meant to be seen as you were driving or walking down the street from a good distance away, which is why the close detail is often not so carefully done (like where the sections matched) because one wouldn't notice such stuff from 50 or 100 feet away.

this is v helpful. I always thought six-sheet posters  were meant for drive in cinemas...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:40:02 PM by Mirosae »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
Bruce the 40x90 are called 6 sheets over here, 3 sheets are smaller, about 40x81-82 same as the U.S.

Also over here they were printing using the 60x40 size since the late 1800's..

And the "sheet" over here was not the 40x30, it's always been the 30x20 Double Crown, which all other sizes are based on.

EG.  Single Crown 20x15, Double Crown 30x20, Quad Crown 40x30, UK 4 sheet 60x40, UK 6 sheet 90x40, etc.. 

"just saying"   ;)

boxofficebrian

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
WOW just seeing the old photographs with the posters on display and the over the top marquees...

I can just imagine putting on my sunday's finest and heading to an evening show.

I was born in the wrong era  :'(

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
Bruce the 40x90 are called 6 sheets over here, 3 sheets are smaller, about 40x81-82 same as the U.S.

And the "sheet" over here was not the 40x30, it's always been the 30x20 Double Crown, which all other sizes are based on.

EG.  Single Crown 20x15, Double Crown 30x20, Quad Crown 40x30, UK 4 sheet 60x40, UK 6 sheet 90x40, etc.. 

"just saying"   ;)

I stand corrected!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:44 PM »
So what's the point of 30x40in?  I mean, why did they have to make a 27x41 wider?  And it's not so much that they re-designed the poster, like they did with Insert, 1/2 sheet, 3 sheets and 6 sheets.  They just added white borders on each side.  I don't get it.  Rich said they were used inside and outside, but why not use a 1 sheet?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
I have heard many o' tale about 6 sheets being proudly and majestically displayed in the lobby of huge 'palace'/opera houses for full effect.

One of my recent 6sh acquisitions was prominently displayed in the center of the lobby at a very old theater from downtown Louisville.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
So what's the point of 30x40in?  I mean, why did they have to make a 27x41 wider?  And it's not so much that they re-designed the poster, like they did with Insert, 1/2 sheet, 3 sheets and 6 sheets.  They just added white borders on each side.  I don't get it.  Rich said they were used inside and outside, but why not use a 1 sheet?

T

In old pressbooks, most 30x40s cost $1.50, while one-sheets cost 10 cents and 15 cents. They were printed on much better paper stock, but I can't see what theaters would have paid so much more for them. I fear it is a mystery that will never be solved!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

T

just for fitting different displays Thierry

if you go to the UK that have that display, whose name I forget, that fits a quad, foh set & another quad
it has a specific name and I forget what it is. It was generally supplied by this one company that did different posters. Stew was kind enough to send me one poster for Farewell My Lovely that was used for these displays

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »

"just saying"   ;)

Paul, I have seen a lot of English "six-sheets" that measure 40x85, NOT 40x81. What time period are you referring to?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
just for fitting different displays Thierry

I understand that, Rich, but why would a theater need a specific 30x40in display when a 27x41in can be put up at the exact same location.  30x40in must have been designed for a specific reason.  Were the extra white borders hidden underneath the display and used to hold the poster, which you obviously couldn't do with a OS?

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
30x40s were a more expensive alternative, so I suspect not all theatres used them. if you look at the thread we have of theatre setups on this forum (the old thread) you can see lots of them

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
So it sounds like the 30x40s, done on heavier card stock and often using the silk screen process, were a more pricey alternative, for those theaters that wanted to "pony up?"

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:12:59 AM »
Paul, I have seen a lot of English "six-sheets" that measure 40x85, NOT 40x81. What time period are you referring to?

You will find that Bruce, there's up to two inches of over lap on the two pieces, plus the cutting to take into account, as you will know the sizes are never spot on every go..

And the 40x81 will most likely be a 3 sheet.  Sometimes the size is printed on the poster, eg: six sheet.  I'll see if I can find one of mine with it on, and post a pic.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
It is a fascinating question and one that I have mulled over in times past too - dunno why I did not create the thread to ask the very same.

I sense Thierry's frustration with the 30x40 question and subsequent lack of answers.  A thicker card stock for those theatres that wanted to pay more still does not explain why the size shifted slightly from the 1 Sheet.

A 1 Sheet could have been printed on heavier card stock, if card stock was the requirement.  Why go to the bother of adding borders and presumably having to erect an alternate method of mounting the poster in the foyer...?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
if you go to the UK that have that display, whose name I forget, that fits a quad, foh set & another quad
it has a specific name and I forget what it is. It was generally supplied by this one company that did different posters. Stew was kind enough to send me one poster for Farewell My Lovely that was used for these displays

Fella - not sure if I am thinking at cross purposes, but would you be talking about the Marler Haley set?

If so, the presentation was two quads and four DCs, not an FOH set.  Although, to confuse matters, a selection of the FOH 10x8 stills were pasted to the secondary quad poster and / or the DCs.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
Here's the printing from a 12 sht, and a 6 sht..

And most of the time the Marler Haley sets only had one Quad.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Oh, these pics are from the early, and mid 30's.