Author Topic: Posters in Tubes  (Read 12034 times)

Rage1073

Posters in Tubes
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:31:40 PM »
Is it ok to leave posters in the tubes? And if it is for how long?
Is it better to have them vertical or horizontal?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Posters in Tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
Is it ok to leave posters in the tubes? And if it is for how long?
Is it better to have them vertical or horizontal?

It is fine to keep them in tubes.  I keep my rolled posters in rolls of 50 in a plastic sleeve (to keep them from insects) and inside a tube.  I keep the tubes vertical because if you keep them horizontal the weight of the posters will crease the posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:24 AM »
I hate it. If you just want to store I guess it's ok. But if you need to access them for me it's a nightmare. And a pain to get flat again for taking pics or whatever.
But I don't like unfolded posters anyway. At least on one sheet or larger size. Gimme folds. I'd trade every unfolded poster I own title for title for a machine folded version. Except smaller formats.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:45:59 AM »
..... I keep the tubes vertical because if you keep them horizontal the weight of the posters will crease the posters.
T

I always thought they should be stored horizontally so the weight of the rolled posters is not directed down on to the vulnerable edges. You do roll a lot of posters together Thierry so maybe there are different considerations in your case.

Mark

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
It is fine to keep them in tubes.  I keep my rolled posters in rolls of 50 in a plastic sleeve (to keep them from insects) and inside a tube.  I keep the tubes vertical because if you keep them horizontal the weight of the posters will crease the posters.

T

T.

The few posters i have now are in rolls of 20 in tubes, wrapped in tissue paper and laying horizontal. Will that crease them?
I thought having them on their end would crush the edges?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
My posters are tightly rolled.  They kind of all hold each other, so no damage can be done.  To be honest, I don't even think a few posters put together can be damaged vertically.  A poster is not heavy enough, and the more you put together, the more they hold each other.  You need to make sure they are perfectly aligned.  The best way to do that is to get them in a tube one after the other, from the outside in. 

Now, if you keep them horizontal over a long period of time, the weight of the posters will eventually flatten them and create a slight horizontal crease.  Nothing major.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »
My posters are tightly rolled.  They kind of all hold each other, so no damage can be done.  To be honest, I don't even think a few posters put together can be damaged vertically.  A poster is not heavy enough, and the more you put together, the more they hold each other.  You need to make sure they are perfectly aligned.  The best way to do that is to get them in a tube one after the other, from the outside in. 

Now, if you keep them horizontal over a long period of time, the weight of the posters will eventually flatten them and create a slight horizontal crease.  Nothing major.

T
Totally agree with T

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

Yup.

And now I'm scared that all of Mark's one of a kinds and nifty selections are in the hands of a mad man!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »
Wouldn't leave them in regular cardboard tubes for years and years due to the acidity of the cardboard...
Chris

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

T

My posters are tightly rolled too. There's no spongy-ness when you squeeze them.
One end of them are lined up pretty much flat so if I'm gonna put them on their end it would be that end?

I really have no room for them stored vertically so what if i turn the tubes every few months? Would that stop any creasing issues or create more?

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
My posters are tightly rolled too. There's no spongy-ness when you squeeze them.
One end of them are lined up pretty much flat so if I'm gonna put them on their end it would be that end?

I really have no room for them stored vertically so what if i turn the tubes every few months? Would that stop any creasing issues or create more?
That is what I do. I store them horizontally and just rotate every few months. I have not noticed any horizontal creases at all. But I make sure I rotate them on a regular basis every couple of months. I am like you HG I do not have the room to store them vertically or even flat for that matter. I wish I could store them flat and I probably would if I had a flat file. I would make room for a flat file if I could get one for cheap.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »
I agree with Mark here, I too roll many posters in one, and store them Horizontally. As Mark says, there is more chance of damage if stored Vertical, to the edges. When even the minimum of 10 are rolled together they are very sturdy and won't flatten out, unless a great weight is on top of them. Though I also have other rolled posters on top of those, and there has been no deflection in the bottom ones in the last 5 years..

My main problem is these mostly Vinyl Banners, how to store them. I still have most in the original box's, but the space they take up is unreal. I do have quite a few loose ones rolled together, but some have "knobs" on to hang them by (Que the jokes) , which get in the way some-what when rolling them, and slightly distort the edge.   Any ideas......Stop getting them!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
I agree with Mark here, I too roll many posters in one, and store them Horizontally. As Mark says, there is more chance of damage if stored Vertical, to the edges. When even the minimum of 10 are rolled together they are very sturdy and won't flatten out, unless a great weight is on top of them. Though I also have other rolled posters on top of those, and there has been no deflection in the bottom ones in the last 5 years..

My main problem is these mostly Vinyl Banners, how to store them. I still have most in the original box's, but the space they take up is unreal. I do have quite a few loose ones rolled together, but some have "knobs" on to hang them by (Que the jokes) , which get in the way some-what when rolling them, and slightly distort the edge.   Any ideas......Stop getting them!

I roll all my banners around a large diameter tube, like a 6 incher, prevents and fixes rippling. I know what ya mean about one side of banners making it difficult to roll evenly. The tube system helps. Secure the loose end with some packing tape and let them stand up

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
Horizontal versus vertical makes no difference in long term storage for the most part. The issue being when you stand them on end if the edges are not aligned perfectly, you just crushed some poster edges. When laying them down, the key is the density of the roll, a "soft" roll is eventually going to collapse on you, but as long as the color is not broke on a poster, the oblong roll will eventually still lay flat with no damage. I recommend laying them down especially if you collect newer stuff as the width of posters various from studio to studio and title to title and you have to really watch your rolls to not damage the edges. If you do stand them on end, make sure to at least roll 5-10 posters of the same size together at a time to create a consistent edge if you will. If you are mixing sizes and standing them up you are asking for a disaster.

Obviously laying everything flat is the ideal solution, but storage space is the issue for many and not always an option.

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
Wouldn't leave them in regular cardboard tubes for years and years due to the acidity of the cardboard...

Do you also mean deacidified or restored posters? I thought that restored posters will be Ok in tubes for longer periods given that they had been treated.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
The cardboard tubes themselves are somewhat acidic, so long periods of storage could potentially make even backed and de-acidified posters turn slightly tan, as acids from the tube slowly leached back into the paper and linen. I think if the rolled, backed posters are put in a mylar sleeve (and then placed in the tube) could prevent this from happening.

(Modern backed posters, printed on glossy paper, might be a different story, when it comes to this question, tho. Is modern, glossy paper more resistant to acid damage from storage tubes?)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:05:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »
Ah...Ok..i see I got it wrong.  Thanks for clarifying.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
A glimpse at my setup. 

About 50 posters per tubes, in a plastic wrapping and perfectly aligned.  I stack the tubes vertical on top of each others.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »
Looks like a fire hazard
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
I'll take the box with 2 Jurassic Park, 4 Skyfall and and 3 Gladiator in it and the tube of subway posters beside it.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
You can have that modern stuff!  I'd go for the tube of French 1ps on linen. Because you know if T owns something on linen he must have really wanted it.  thumbup

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
I'll take the box with 2 Jurassic Park, 4 Skyfall and and 3 Gladiator in it and the tube of subway posters beside it.

HA!!!  They're all banners...

My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »
You can have that modern stuff!  I'd go for the tube of French 1ps on linen. Because you know if T owns something on linen he must have really wanted it.  thumbup

You'd be right, Matt.  There's some good stuff in that one.

T
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:56:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
How do you roll so many posters so neatly? I'm so rubbish at that, they are always uneven. The times I have had to send three or more posters together, it had taken me about 10 goes to roll them together nicely!

I store my posters flat in a plan chest.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
A glimpse at my setup. 

About 50 posters per tubes, in a plastic wrapping and perfectly aligned.  I stack the tubes vertical on top of each others.

T

Where are the lenticulars hiding? :D