Author Topic: Selwyns Print Sleeves Vs. Mylar Sleeves w/ Backing Board  (Read 11164 times)

nebu1ou5

Selwyns Print Sleeves Vs. Mylar Sleeves w/ Backing Board
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Selwyns print sleeves for long-term storage?
(http://www.displays4sale.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx?p=Classic-Poster-Sleeves)
(http://www.selwyns.com/sleeves.php)

Would anyone recommend them?

I am at the beginning stages of coming up with an archival system for storing my prints. I was about ready to follow what was discussed in the EB Print Storage Wiki (http://expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/Storing_Your_Print) but out of nowhere a local frame shop unexpectedly offered to sell me used Selwyns print sleeves for a very cheap price (cheaper than the cost of Mylar sleeves by themselves). The frame shop said that the only things that were stored in the used Selwyns sleeves were giclées and offset prints (no toxic oil paintings, etc).

Does anyone have any opinions or know of any reasons to avoid these Selwyns sleeves? Thanks!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Selwyns Print Sleeves Vs. Mylar Sleeves w/ Backing Board
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:06 AM »
I do not use sleeves of any kind to store my posters, though I do separate the posters with a one sheet bag (no insertions, just a bag, a poster, a bag, a poster, layered. helps eliminate folds

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
I have around 15 Selwyn sleeves that I have picked up over the years. I find them to be great quality and very useful for when rolled posters need flattening (feed them into the sleeve and leave them). They are made from archival quality materials such as Polyester, so should be good for long term storage I think. I suspect I'll turn to dust before my junky posters do though :)

The only negative I can think of is that as they have board and corners, they're thicker than Mylar/PVC sleeves you'd get from somewhere like bags unlimited...so they need a bit more space for storage.

nebu1ou5

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
That is a good point. How thick are the Selwyns sleeves?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Crikey, I'm late to this...

If you didn't get sorted out, here's a bit of info..

There are two types the thickest are about 5mm at the thickest part of the sleeve (the boarder) and the thinner ones are maybe 3mm.

Selwyns were taken over a couple of months/year back, and the quality had dropped off somewhat, if you can get early ones they are great, as these can be used to just stick a poster up for a while and put it away when not needed. I use them all over the house....sometimes ;)
like in this pic... it's just stood in front of the bedroom TV.

They are great for handling, and temporary display of posters. I have about 40 of these for some of the better/more expensive posters.
The down side is as Tob says, space if you want to store lots, but worth having for the select few posters.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
Correction, I've 95 of these..who'd a thought.... :-\

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Dracula in that Selwyns looks really good there Paul. Do you need to use a backing board or something similar? I might get some of those thumbsup.gif

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
They are a backing board with pockets to slide the posters in, both sides, so you can store two, one each side....That said some of mine have more than one poster per side.. it's all good..  :D

I'll take a pic with the poster part out and you'll get the idea...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Hopefully you can see how they work.... ;)

I always have some up over my flat files, in front of the Telly if not watching it, anywhere you can think, even stood up in the passage, and they go away as soon as Yvonne is sick of looking at them... ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
MANY THANKS PAUL, that´s incredibly helpful!. Great pics and what a brilliant idea for temp displays. I think you guys just solved my problem :)

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
Glad to be of help, they are great if you want to see your stuff but don't want to live in a Museum/Gallery... ;)