Author Topic: Poster Dimensions  (Read 1854 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Poster Dimensions
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »
Ok, this might seem kind of nit-picky, but what do you guys feel is the correct way to write poster dimensions?

Most people write dimensions as X,Y with X being horizontal axis and then Y being vertical.  So for that 27 x 41 or 14 x 36 makes sense.
But... what about lobbies always being quoted at 11 x 14, or half sheets at 22 x 28, or Quads art 30 x 40?
They can't both be right.

I consulted the Chicago Manual of Style and they agree with reporting as X,Y - except in the case of fine art.
For fine art, they stated that the standard is height first and then width. So the 11 x 14 and Quad people would have it correct. But are you ready to start saying one-sheets are 41 x 27?

Just wondering other people's opinions on this.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Poster Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »
I'm guessing the sloppiness in reporting can be summarized by the 2nd and 3rd comments in this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544836

Bright Eyes
Lord of the Arts
Wasilla, Alaska

Re: Painting Dimensions
I've seen it written both ways. I usually just put the smaller number first on size because it reads easier for me. The dimension usually goes last because it isn't primary information needed to get an idea of size for the painting. I don't think there is an actual standard though.

mick11
Veteran Member
Driffield, East Yorkshire, UK

Re: Painting Dimensions
There is no standard as far as I am aware.
I normally use HXW for art in portrait format and WXH for art in landscape format.This seems to be the more usual way.

If everyone from Wasilla, Alaska to East Yorkshire, UK has no f'ing idea, then I'm guessing people probably default to shorter dimension first. 

I must tell you as someone who knee deep in cataloging a collection, though, I WISH there was a standard!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
My site uses:
-  small dimension x large dimension

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
I checked Christies & they do measure height first with paintings
I did not check Sothebys

as I mentioned earlier by email, I have never measured art this way

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »
That's fine to use height vs width for every individual poster but when you want to set up a common standard such as in search dropdown you have to decide on one method and stick to it. Since posters are printed on sheets that may have art in portrait or landscape arrangement (such as Belgians) just decide on a system. It would look odd to have one sheets listed as 41 x 27 and quads 30 x 40 (typical height vs width for those formats), so I just settled on small size vs large size in the dropdown selector

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:46 AM »

If everyone from Wasilla, Alaska to East Yorkshire, UK has no f'ing idea, then I'm guessing people probably default to shorter dimension first. 

I must tell you as someone who knee deep in cataloging a collection, though, I WISH there was a standard!

I call Quads 40x30, and 4sht's 60x40, then again, I am from North Yorkshire... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:15 AM »
just to add. if I order pipe-fittings that change a run to a different diameter, it's always the biggest size first. They are called reducers, not expanders, which ever way the flow is going. So it would be a 6x4 reducer.. This is an Industry standard.

Mind you Yanks do drive on the wrong side of the road... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...