Author Topic: Dating The Aristocats Daybill  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Dating The Aristocats Daybill
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »
In 1928 Greater Union (GU) sold their first distribution company “Australasian Films” but by 1932 they were back in the game with Union Theatres Feature Exchange which was subsequently restructured in 1932 to become British Empire Films (BEF). Over the years Disney has used a range of companies to distribute their films in Australia, including Union Theatres Exchange in 1929; United Artists 1933 to 1937; RKO 1937 to 1954; Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer 1959 to 1972 and BEF-MGM from 1973 to 1975.

In 1975 MGM-BEF becomes Greater Union Film Distributors, (remember this...)

The Aristocats

The movie released in USA December 1970, it was not released in Australia until December 1971, so any Daybill that is claiming the poster is 1970 is of course incorrect.

In terms of release and re-release dates, all I have actually been able to dig up with confirmed dates are:

1987 (or 1988)

IMDb states Australia had a 1980 release and a 1994 (yet don’t mention a 1987/88 one).

As an aside, in the two main online movie poster databases (no names) I find a lot of 1SH and WCs that are either dating an original poster as 1970 or 1971, but on all of them I looked at I can see the (NSS) date clearly says 1971, be nice if there was some consistency.

The Aristocats Daybill

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/mode/2/searchfield/title/search/ARISTOCATS/type/Aust%2520daybill/archive.html

Here is a great little article for the release of the new The Aristocats movie, published in The Australian Women's Weekly 22 December 1971

10 years later we have an advert for a Drive-In Theatre for the movie in May 1981

I don’t know much about Drive-Ins so can’t comment as to whether this is a Nationwide re-release for the movie or not - BUT if it is then it would stands to reason that there would have been during the Summer holidays season (May is the middle of winter downunder) which of course would have been December 1980

Here is an article from 1987 talking about the movie being re-released (it's written from USA so is it a USA 1987 release, which means perhaps an Australian 1988?)

And seven years later another article discussing the 1994 re-release of the movie

------------------------
So now to the posters

This poster is called 1971 – correct!
(Also called R70s, technically correct but...)

As you can see there are two versions of this poster:

LEFT POSTER: Note the rating; “For General Exhibition”, meaning it was printed before the November 1971 ruling and perhaps before the October 1971 announcement
RIGHT POSTER: Some might say the snipe might suggest it is a NZ Daybill, I am suggesting that the snipe was added after the posters were printed when the new G Rating was announced (October 1971) but before the distributor knew what the new rating looked like, and hence the ‘blank’ snipe.

I think the ‘sniped’ posters are still from the 1971 release however, the one that is more valuable (to me) is the one without the snipe.

------------------------------

Poster Says 1971 – that is incorrect
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9945203.html

Please note the Greater Union logo, bottom middle - Greater Union Film Distributors weren't known as such until 1975. As we seem to have some evidence supporting a 1980 release but nothing earlier than that I am calling it R80.

You’re welcome
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:23:14 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Dating The Aristocats Daybill
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
wow David.. such great work on these Daybills.
is there a website where people can go and see actual sales of Daybills THAT ARE CORRECTLY DATED AND IDENTIFIED?

or is it all just a muddy mess because the same site that many people use is full of errors?

it would be great if there actually was a place we could get correct information rather than bad information that gets propagated throughout the internet

Thanks for doing such great research. People should spend the time properly identifying what they have and your data is really a great help.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Pancho

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »
As way of corroborating evidence I can tell you that my 'Dead Kids' daybill has basically the same look for the GUO logo as the R80s Aristocats daybill (centre bottom). It came out June 1981. Can't find an appropriate link unfortunately - the only one I can find is sniped!

In contrast, my 'Zoltan, Hound of Dracula' daybill from 1977 has the GUO logo in the bottom left corner: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DRACULAS-DOG-zoltan-hound-of-dracula-horror-ORIGINAL-1978-daybill-movie-POSTER-/291092986162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c67e7932#ht_1299wt_722

'The Boogens': http://www.ebay.ie/itm/the-BOOGENS-monsters-cave-colorado-horror-ORIGINAL1981-daybill-movie-POSTER-/351007372842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b9ab762a#ht_901wt_722  came out in September 1981 and the Greater Union logo and daybill in general look much different.

Based on the appearance of the Boogens daybill I think it's safe to say the the R80s Aristocats can't be older than mid 1981.

Are there any clues to be gained from the size of the daybill or the printer?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »

Mark Rich showed me some site once to check that. I've forgotten what the link was.
Might even have been on Wikipedia come to think of it.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:26:32 AM »
wow David.. such great work on these Daybills.
is there a website where people can go and see actual sales of Daybills THAT ARE CORRECTLY DATED AND IDENTIFIED?

or is it all just a muddy mess because the same site that many people use is full of errors?

it would be great if there actually was a place we could get correct information rather than bad information that gets propagated throughout the internet

Thanks for doing such great research. People should spend the time properly identifying what they have and your data is really a great help.

You could convince someone to consign each example to you Rich and then start your own correctly dated and identified database ;)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »
You could convince someone to consign each example to you Rich and then start your own correctly dated and identified database ;)

you must have seen the near-future when I open up a coupe tubes of posters that we're expecting to see in the coming weeks.........

Chris can see the future.. he's psychiatric!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:59:42 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
As way of corroborating evidence I can tell you that my 'Dead Kids' daybill has basically the same look for the GUO logo as the R80s Aristocats daybill (centre bottom). It came out June 1981. Can't find an appropriate link unfortunately - the only one I can find is sniped!

In contrast, my 'Zoltan, Hound of Dracula' daybill from 1977 has the GUO logo in the bottom left corner: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DRACULAS-DOG-zoltan-hound-of-dracula-horror-ORIGINAL-1978-daybill-movie-POSTER-/291092986162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c67e7932#ht_1299wt_722

'The Boogens': http://www.ebay.ie/itm/the-BOOGENS-monsters-cave-colorado-horror-ORIGINAL1981-daybill-movie-POSTER-/351007372842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b9ab762a#ht_901wt_722  came out in September 1981 and the Greater Union logo and daybill in general look much different.

Based on the appearance of the Boogens daybill I think it's safe to say the R80s Aristocats can't be older than mid 1981.

1975 MGM-BEF becomes Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors
1982 is renamed Greater Union Film Distributors

So in fact that dates that Boogens poster 1982 not 1981, given the movie was released in the USA in Sept 1981 I'd say 1982 is about right

I've no idea about sizes, Mark is pretty clued up on that...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:36:46 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
you must have seen the near-future when I open up a coupe tubes of posters that we're expecting to see in the coming weeks.........

Chris can see the future.. he's psychiatric!

I definitely should be committed!
Chris

Pancho

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
1975 MGM-BEF becomes Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors
1982 is renamed Greater Union Film Distributors

So in fact that dates that Boogens poster 1982 not 1981, given the movie was released in the USA in Sept 1981 I'd say 1982 is about right

I've no idea about sizes, Mark is pretty clued up on that...

The Boogens was passed for Australian viewing in September 1981: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=MOcineYnGv3MCnH%2b0Q735g%253d%253d&ncdctx=PtrlkYsw3SLPBqWCpvnj%2bwlk0LsW6UeGY4vU5As4RZBeTi9ST2JdQEqBOGGdSDel so what you note about the poster is quite interesting. I've no idea what the lag time would be between classification approval and exhibition so I guess that given the Greater Union Film Distributors label on the poster dates the poster as 1982 then I'm assuming it's early 1982?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
It's a good question and I have no idea - there are others who know better about the distribution and censorship process (Phil Edwards for instance).
David

guest4208

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
The research you are doing on these Disney daybills is excellent David. Looking forward to seeing more on some of the others.
Regards
John

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
The research you are doing on these Disney daybills is excellent David. Looking forward to seeing more on some of the others.
Regards
John

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

-------