Author Topic: Ebay Global Shipping?  (Read 44998 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Ebay Global Shipping?
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
Yes, my experience went well too and I received positive feedback from the buyer, so I'll use it again.

The main complaint about EGS is that the foreign buyers are actually forced to pay the "value added tax" their countries charge.  I don't really care. If you don't like it, work to change your country's tax system instead of being a tax-dodger.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
Yes, my experience went well too and I received positive feedback from the buyer, so I'll use it again.

The main complaint about EGS is that the foreign buyers are actually forced to pay the "value added tax" their countries charge.  I don't really care. If you don't like it, work to change your country's tax system instead of being a tax-dodger.

Start collecting foreign posters and see how your attitude changes
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »
 eyeroll
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
Yup easy for the seller.
I dont see any benefit still for the program for sellers. and as a buyer charges them too much.

Might be fine for listing a few high dollar items. 
Horrible for lower dollar stuff. 
and lets say someone from Germany buys 4 posters from a seller.
The seller can't combine shipping and has to send in 4 separate tubes, buyer complains, cancel transactions, ...etc.
lots of hassle.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
Start collecting foreign posters and see how your attitude changes

I've received at least 50+ packages from overseas sellers over the years. I certainly never asked them to play games with customs forms, unlike most of the international buyers I've dealt with.

Out of all those packages, two disappeared in transit for no reason.  They weren't tracked.  I asked for a refund and received one.  

I've sold a few to international buyers.  One time a package inexplicably took five weeks to reach a buyer in UK.   In the last couple of weeks I got daily threats from the buyer who claimed I was a fraud.  That turned me off international shipping forever.  International buyers are perfectly free not to bid in my auctions.

So for a casual seller the Ebay program works well.  I delegate all shipping hassles to the Ebay program.  They can deal with tracking, custom forms, etc.  If the buyers don't like it and are angry because Ebay won't falsify their customs forms, that's just too ****ing bad.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:19:21 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
I've received at least 50+ packages from overseas sellers over the years. I certainly never asked them to play games with customs forms, unlike most of the international buyers I've dealt with.

A main issue is that eBay is charging you (as the buyer) customs fees as part of the program.  Then they have the audacity to not only state that they will be the arbiter of what those custom fees should be for the buyer BEFORE the package even hits customs but to take a cut of those fees from the seller (along with a cut of the shipping fees too of course). 

I do not understand how that process/policy is legal.
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »
I don't understand why international buyers would want to ''play games'' with customs forms. I have received numerous poster shipments from the US to the UK a/o Spain and the forms are pretty straight-forward. There is a customs tax but it is at a low rate in so it is not going to add a huge amount to the price of the poster. It is however true that customs issues tend to lead to delays. From personal experience, in the UK I think it would help enormously if we didnt have to deal with an uneducated customs staff. Their understanding of the UK tax system, rates and procedures is very concerning to say the least. But that is a conversation for another day.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
Repackaging issues:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijmdVlQ36-w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ijmdVlQ36-w</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZwZgcoc_zw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qZwZgcoc_zw</a>

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
Everything was wonderful before Ebay Global Shipping came along.  Now....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 11:46:31 PM »
Id rather tackle ebay global shipping than listen to Luke... go on.... and on....and on. A little editing might be in order.

8)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:44:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Pancho

« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
I had an interesting experience with EGS the other day. I'd bought some books from a lovely lady in the States and, as is often the case with dealers, she asked me if there were other titles I was chasing, so I sent her a list and she was able to offer me some other titles 'off eBay'. Long story short, we decided that I'd pay the eBay auctions and postage and make up the difference to her direct via PayPal. One issue though - what I paid her through EGS was over $70 MORE than what she received!! I paid $166 and she received $91 and change!!

Neither of us could believe how much eBay were skimming off the top - she still has to pack the books and send them to EGS for on-forwarding to me. Amazing!

Obviously we cancelled the eBay transactions and I paid her direct instead. FYI - postage for all the books I bought came in at just under $90.

No-one - except eBay - wins out of EGS.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »
I've used eBay global shipping a few times and have had no problems.  It's actually been excellent.  I just ship the items to the global shipping center, and then eBay charges the buyers the actual cost to ship to them.  The shipping times are always fast, and I don't have to goof around with customs forms and everything.  cool1

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
EGS sure is a waste of money.....
As a seller if you only offer Global Shipping you can't combine purchases. one item per package so any potential buyer that knows this wont bid on your items if they are interested in more than one. When it was brand new it was a headache for me as a seller and buyers....both sides didnt realize that when, for example, 5 posters were bought and they would HAVE to be sent in individual tubes the costs to the buyer adds up very fast. as an example: 5 posters just to ship individually to the reshipping site is an extra $32.50 more than what it would take to send directly to the U.K.
EGS forces the buyer to use Priority Intl which is far more expensive than First Class.  and some buyers take it out on your feedback for shipping costs.  
I saw a big difference once I removed Global Shipping on auction style listings.

It may be fine for a high dollar item but as most of us know we all hate the import charges and with EGS its unavoidable and no easier and slower than sending directly.

Anytime I have filled out a the customs form for the UK or Germany or Spain all I have to do is sign my name and date it and tape it on the tube.  tada easy peasy pudding pie
Unless you sell a lot or often on ebay you wouldnt realize how much it sucks as a Seller. and you quickly realize from a buyers point of view it is simply a waste of your money.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:15:04 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
For a lot of people, eBay global shipping is A-OK.  All of the hassles of shipping internationally are on eBay's shoulders.  

The few times that I've shipped internationally without the EGS, it was not as easy of a process as domestic shipping, and the shipping time was several weeks.  With EGS, international shipping is usually about a week or less, and they provide tracking and insurance.  I've never had any complaints from buyers about EGS.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:21:40 PM by Neo »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
 EBay's global shipping is a damn joke. I tried to purchase two posters vallued at $20. The shipping and global fees came out to $45. There is no combined shipping with this stupid program. When I purchased 10 trading cards. They also charge pd me $10 each card because of no combined shipping. What a joke!!!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
You said it brother!

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
One of the few benefits of eBay's Global Shipping Program is that it allows sellers who are averse to selling internationally to enter the game with little risk.  Once ebay gets hold of the package it is their responsibility to see it delivered and the seller is off the hook if it gets lost or damaged in transit.  A lot of sellers will not ship internationally because it can sometimes be tough to prove delivery by ebay/Paypal's terms or to work through an international insurance claim, which then sets a seller up for dealing with issues if the buyer claims "item not received" or claims package and item were damaged in transit.

So, while the costs of it (customs charges up front, processing fee, etc.) are higher than another ebay who might ship it 1st class for $20 and lie on the customs forms to reduce taxes, it has the benefit of allowing access to more items that might otherwise be unavailable because the seller previously refused to ship out of country altogether.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:17:29 PM by archstanton »

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
I avoid sellers who use this like the plague. From a customer point of view there is nothing good to say about it.

In my experience the package has always taken longer to arrive and when it did, was in a worse state than packages that had been shipped directly. To be avoided at all costs.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
I avoid sellers who use this like the plague. From a customer point of view there is nothing good to say about it.

In my experience the package has always taken longer to arrive and when it did, was in a worse state than packages that had been shipped directly. To be avoided at all costs.

100% agree.

Mark

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
I have only ever brought a couple of items on GSP. First was for 3 posters and was charging postage on each individual item, agreed with the seller to pay direct to combine. The other was a 30x40in Escape from New York in pristine condition, that never arrived and was put down as lost.

I don't buy from sellers offering GSP for International shipping

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
This is why you do not use global shipping. This is unbelievable to say the least. I'll let the images speak for themselves for this fine shipping tube. Hell why even put any cardboard around it at all, should have just stuck the F'in stamp right on the poster.

I need to find someone to rip a new ass on this one, this is beyond ridiculous.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:33:38 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »
Just when you think you've seen the worst in packaging something like this comes along. Not even sure it counts as packaging. Commiserations, that's a real sickener.

Offline kubu

• Beginner
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
I received about 30 poster rolls via global shipping, half from uk, half from us. Not one was repacked, non damaged. When ordering several items from the same seller I ask to change to direct shipping, this was never a problem. According to our tax system the GSP is bad for items below 100$ because it calculates a few dollars tax while shipping directly would be tax free. For items between 150 and approx 300$ the tax calculated by GSP is about 20$ to 40$ lower than shipping directly (why? i do not know) so I even prefer GSP in this cases....