Author Topic: Ebay Global Shipping?  (Read 45040 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Ebay Global Shipping?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
Not with global shipping. Its all on on the buyers side.

I've shipped several things to the UK recently - USPS priority international and 1st class international - and only paid for the shipping cost (and added insurance, if wanted). No pre-paid customs fees were ever mentioned nor came out of my wallet.

Those costs, (if any), were the responsibility of, and would be charged to and paid by, the recipient.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:12:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
Rich, as the seller, you have paid some kind of up front customs fee, (in addition to the shipping and any insurance coverage) when shipping a tube to the UK, for example?

NEVER

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »
 thumbup

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Thanks, approximately how much would it cost to send a medium tube with a $630 poster, insured, trackable, etc?  Do I have to pay customs in advance? I need to send an invoice to a French buyer ASAP.

Monsieur Besson, I assume?

BTW, FedEx has ridiculous dimension restrictions. I tried to send a box to him that held two tubes side by side and they refused to accept it. I asked about one tube, and they acted like they wanted no part of it, and then quoted me something ridiculous. I forget the amount, but it was three times the USPS rate, which I ended up going with.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
Monsieur Besson, I assume?

BTW, FedEx has ridiculous dimension restrictions. I tried to send a box to him that held two tubes side by side and they refused to accept it. I asked about one tube, and they acted like they wanted no part of it, and then quoted me something ridiculous. I forget the amount, but it was three times the USPS rate, which I ended up going with.

Yes, but after all that fuss, turns out the shipping address is San Francisco, presumably someone who will forward it on to France....

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »
Yes, but after all that fuss, turns out the shipping address is San Francisco, presumably someone who will forward it on to France....

Ok good. That's right, he got that CA liaison after our business together. Shipping all that stuff to France was the worst.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Anyone who pays customs fees as a seller BEFORE the buyer has received the item is making a mistake. Like Rich, I have never done this. Wonder what Bruce's slant to all this is?

Can someone here please explain how and why it is so hard for you guys in the US to send something out of your country??? Is it the postal system itself, forms or something else?

In regards to Besson, I have sent things to him and it is so easy, but he does exactly what I do at times - get items sent to a contact in the US and then have everything forwarded on at a later date. There's a business idea for an American...
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
Anyone who pays customs fees as a seller BEFORE the buyer has received the item is making a mistake. Like Rich, I have never done this. Wonder what Bruce's slant to all this is?

Can someone here please explain how and why it is so hard for you guys in the US to send something out of your country??? Is it the postal system itself, forms or something else?

In regards to Besson, I have sent things to him and it is so easy, but he does exactly what I do at times - get items sent to a contact in the US and then have everything forwarded on at a later date. There's a business idea for an American...

Adam, personally, I have not found it difficult at all. The customs form is simple to fill out (be sure to use the correct one, and ask if not sure, as there are a couple to choose from, depending on the service and weight of the parcel). Then choose the shipping method desired and any added services like insurance (or delivery confirmation-if offered for that destination).

And make sure the package / tube is secured and sealed well. (It still may be opened once it reaches the destination country, for a random inspection, but better that, than falling apart while en route).

For me, the packaging was always the main concern. Even tho a bomb proof tube might be used, there is always a chance that it could get damaged or worse - lost.  

Knock on wood, all things Ive sent have arrived w/o damage and swiftly so far. And I've used the USPS only, so far.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:48:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
I don't think it's so much a matter of difficulty of shipping out of the US, it's more a case of e**y wanting a cut of the action.  Bigger shipping fee = bigger cut.

I hadn't even heard of that shipping abomination option.  A new low...

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
The forms and slow shipping are a minor hassle but the lack of tracking is a deal killer because you're dependent on the honesty of the recipient.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
The items I sent to the UK, as mentioned got there with lightening speed. One i shipped, in early Dec.. a larger, 6" diameter x 34" L tube, left me on a Tues and was literally in the recipient's hands, in London, on the following Tuesday - one week later.

The other, made it to the recipient in 8 business days (not counting the weekend).

So, all in all, both myself and the recipient were very happy with the turn around times.  thumbup

I can see tho, that a concern could be there (by the seller) that some buyers might "claim" non receipt of an item, especially if the tracking falls off the radar, once overseas. They then have the goods AND get the cash back.

So that could be a worry, without a doubt.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
.......the lack of tracking is a deal killer because you're dependent on the honesty of the recipient.

The fact that the customer cannot track an item online from US to UK or UK to US doesn't necessarily mean that the postal services cannot track it. The tracking numbers change when the item enters the destination country - the intended recipient has to sign in any event and that action confirms whether delivery took place or not. I have had hundreds of poster shipments from the US - there has been one genuinely lost item, maybe half a dozen items claimed to have been lost but where I believe the item was not shipped in the first place and maybe a dozen damaged tubes, only one or two of which were properly packed. In my personal experience transatlantic shipping is reliable and fast, so long as the poster has been properly packed and it makes little difference what service is used. 

Mark

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »

it's laziness or fear and nothing more if people don't want to ship overseas

the biggest gripe I hear from people is "all those forms I have to fill out"

all those forms? You fill out one form. BFD
but this is part of our "people want everything done for them" thing.
Yesterday at the post office one person couldn't find the mail slot that was behind him with a big sign on it. He went along the line asking people if they would drop it in a box for him. He finally asked loudly "can anyone tell me where this goes". I said "I have a suggestion" to which a few people laughed.

people want everything done for them. It's sad when I think where we will be in 20 years

and Mark is 100% correct. it is a rare occasion that something gets lost or damaged and usually it is poor packaging. Peter's reported tube aside.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
and Mark is 100% correct. it is a rare occasion that something gets lost or damaged and usually it is poor packaging. Peter's reported tube aside.

Do you fellows not remember all my Mail problems.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »
Do you fellows not remember all my Mail problems.... ;)

well, that was the RARE occasion

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
So it turns out the buyer for my other print (Dune) did use the Ebay Global Shipping option, so we shall see how it goes. I'm shipping it to the Kentucky transit point.

If there are any problems with this, that's the end of international shipping for me.  The extra hassle is not worth the extra international bids.  They can find a US poster buddy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:58:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
So it turns out the buyer for my other print (Dune) did use the Ebay Global Shipping option, so we shall see how it goes.

If there are any problems with this, that's the end of international shipping for me.  The extra hassle is not worth the extra international bids.  They can find a US poster buddy.

Is it not true that you can disable Global Shipping as being a shipping option in your auctions?

Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Is it not true that you can disable Global Shipping as being a shipping option in your auctions?

Yup and if you have active auctions it tells ya it will take up to 24 hours to take effect or you can manually take it off each listing. And to take it off its cleverly buried in "site preferences" totally not where it should be. Hate it. It seems so nice until you find out how much it charges the buyer. And if I remember right the checkbox delivery confirmation for $2.75 is automatically selected and it only is for the trip to kansas.
And again it doesn't let you combine orders ....super lame
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:15:20 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Account > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences...you'll see shipping preferences, you can opt out of global shipping

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
So it turns out the buyer for my other print (Dune) did use the Ebay Global Shipping option, so we shall see how it goes. I'm shipping it to the Kentucky transit point.

If there are any problems with this, that's the end of international shipping for me.  The extra hassle is not worth the extra international bids.  They can find a US poster buddy.

Ebay buyers don't get to choose how items are shipped.You did that.What happen was you forgot to unckeck the global shipping box.Don't feel bad..I did the same thing,Mel. :) They put it at the top of the international shipping section,a small box that's easy to miss....they're plan no doubt.I won't miss it again.
I'm sure everything will be fine.I have no doubt our posters will arrive safely.I'm just wondering how much this is gonna cost.If it's on par with the UPS store...it's gonna be ugly.

It would be a mistake to exclude international buyers.The poster I just sold woulda ended a hundred less had I not included everyone.

As stated throughout this tread,shipping international isn't hard or risky Mel.You just need more practice and you'll be an international shipping pro.

Anthony

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
Account > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences...you'll see shipping preferences, you can opt out of global shipping

Yeah,I think you have 24 hours before the end of the auction to opt out.

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:42 AM »
I don't like the fact that once sent to ebay you're totally out of the loop.The buyer thinks I'm sending him tracking info,wants to know who the carrier is...and I have no idea what ebay is doing.A message at least telling me it shipped would be cool.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
From how it all sounds, I would avoid the Ebay Global shipping service like the plague!

Especially reading the part about a seller sending his/her parcel to some second 3rd party, ebay shipping location, where they might possibly repackage or open it?

Let alone not being able, as a seller, to send ship and tracking info directly to a buyer, would have both parties in the dark-- waiting and wondering.    uhno

-Jeff

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
I'm hoping they at least tell me the buyer received it.Apparently,unless you tell the buyer to send you a message,the only way you know he got it is when they leave feedback.I'm most likely going to have to ask him next week if he got it.

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
This actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.Ebay charged me $30 to ship to the UK.Considering I used pvc,it would've been over $20 for me to ship thru the Post Office.Probably an extra six or seven bucks they tacked on.Plus the $6.50 it cost to ship it to the facility (which is real close to me).It coulda been worse.If ya don't mind spending the extra twelve to twenty bucks (depending how close the shipping center is to you) and you like being dissolved of any responsibility...this might be your ticket.
Personally,it's just as easy to do it yourself and save the bucks.I don't envision ever using it again...unless I forget to uncheck the box again. :)

I don't like being out of the loop,though.The seller leaving feedback,weeks later,was the only way I knew it was received.I know ebay assumes all responsibility once received but I still like to know it went well.