Author Topic: Dating The Jungle Book Daybill  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Dating The Jungle Book Daybill
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
Probably my most favourite Disney (classic) movie and the reason I love animation so much, I saw this movie as a kid and loved it. Now I am older I like to collect Disney Daybills when something comes along I like, soooo...

Anyone who is dating the following Daybill in their database as 1967 (you know who you are) is wrong...:

Although the poster is a first release poster it is from the (late) 1968 Australian release, the movie had a great run over the summer/Christmas through to the earlier part of 1969. In this case it appears that IMDb got it right, so obviously those who are dating it as 1967 are again basing it on the US release date - and as usual that's incorrect.

I can tell you that The Jungle Book fever did hit Australia late in '67 and in fact on October 22 1967 there was a showing on TV on NSW on Channel 9 (?) called The Disney time Spring Special which showed a lot of stuff from Disney as well as "clips" from the forthcoming The Jungle Book movie - this TV show was then shown in Melbourne on December 3rd in Melbourne in other states of Australia it would be shown “later” - but no date specified. Also in October 1967 Channel 7 showed The Jungle Book (1942).

Why was the Jungle Book such a popular choice on TV in October? Well of course, it had just been released in USA in October 1967.

Here's an example of a typical advert, dated January 1969 (Canberra Times), fairly obvious they are promoting a new release of the movie and not a re-release.

As to re-release posters...unfortunately it does looks like a few people are dating these wrong too, although I am still checking my facts but it appears the next two re-release seasons were 1971 (may have been a limited release) and 1979/80 - I am also fairly confident there was no re-release season in 1982 (more than likely 1986).

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:42:59 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Dating The Jungle Book Daybill
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
I see a whole series beginning here David...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
David is becoming the "Dear Abby" of APF

Abs, when are you putting up a post "Dating Scarlett Johanson"?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
The Daybill Gospel According to David  ;D

(It has a good ring to it actually).  

Good research, Dave; it's those 'bear necessities' that make all the difference. clap

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:38:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I've been doing genealogy for some 25 years so I am used to laborious fact checking (that's not to say I am right 100% of the time) - but I am seeing LOTS of errors in the data about some of the older Daybill which is having a knock-on effect in the hobby hence I have decided to do even more checking.

I know there are some pretty dedicated Daybill collectors (in terms of knowledge) out there that do a lot of research too so hopefully my tuppence worth along with theirs will tidy up what is some pretty lazy/haphazard fact checking.

And Rich: If you ever get a date with Scarlett Johanson then you don't need advice, applause maybe, but certainly not advice...
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:31:25 AM »
^ That man's head looks big, I think it will soon explode. It's as if it's his first ever hot date, and tonight at least, he hopes there will be no need for branlering

Reggie

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
That's a massive head

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
That's a massive head

It sure is... I have pity on whoever that is. That head must be full of bluster

Offline CSM