Author Topic: Fold lines to help authenticate poster  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Ba517401

• Beginner
Fold lines to help authenticate poster
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
Hi,

I was looking at some posters on EBay and I thought that I would compare 2 reputable dealer's posters to an unknown seller's poster of the same title.  On the 2 reputable dealer's posters, the fold lines were remarkably similar.  On the unknown seller's poster, the fold lines were noticeably at different points throughout the poster, both vertically, and horizontally.  I read somewhere that posters issued to theatrical venues were (and maybe still are) machine folded. 
  In your experiences, can fold lines be a barometer, of sorts, to determine authenticity?

Ba

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Fold lines to help authenticate poster
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »
Most posters are folded similarly, but it is not uncommon to find posters with different fold lines, a little to the left, a little to the right.  It happens.  So I wouldn't use this criteria for authenticity.  Size, smell (yes, smell, as ridiculous as it sounds) and paper texture are more telling, imo.

Also, I wouldn't buy folded US posters past 1984-1985.  This is when studios started sending them rolled to theaters.

T
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:01:33 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ba517401

• Beginner
Re: Fold lines to help authenticate poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Very good info...thanks