Author Topic: eBay - Deals That Wound Up Great !!!  (Read 6659 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
eBay - Deals That Wound Up Great !!!
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:19:13 AM »
Okay.. Here you go Folks

I don't know about you, but I know that aside from all the great posters I've gotten from Heritage and other places, I've gotten some deals on eBay where the seller did everything right and the truth is far from the horror story that some dealer may like to say is all you can get on eBay.

One great deal I got was first edition of Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.
It goes back a while to 2012
listed in the correct category.. I put in a snipe for $667.
it was described as ex-libris, there was a card pocket in the back & the inside panels had some residue from the original dust jacket being glued in. It came with a replaced jacket - original, no copy - that had been shortened by the library so they could put it into a plastic cover (this was very common back then).

when I won it for a measly $167 free shipping I was shocked. I told Sean about it. This is like a $1500-2500 book
the seller packaged it beautifully and I couldn't be happier with it

I show some posters later that I got from eBay
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:19:36 PM by erik1925 »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Posted this one before, but it applies here, too.

I'd been on the look out for an Amadeus Italian 2 foglio, and for a reasonable price, for about a year+. I had it on a watch list to check, now and then, too. I finally found one on ebay, later last year.

Not only were the condition and price great, imo -- looks to have never been used and it was $18.00 -- but the seller also packaged it in an acid free, manilla-type envelope (then placed that between sturdy pieces of cardboard, and that in a bubble lined mailer envelope), and sent it straight away. Postage charged was $4.75.

I received it 3 days after I paid. And it got here unscathed and in the same condition as before it was sent.

I was very happy and impressed.  thumbup

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
I was looking for pics, but apparently I haven't taken them yet. Maybe I can today and add them to the post

a few months back, someone had a small group of B-2's listed in a music category. probably they copied a listing and forgot to change the category

anyway, they were listed with an opening bid of just $70 and free shipping.

magically I won them for the opening bid and I was very happy when they arrived, nested into in a neat little box
all were near perfect and that was great because I had been looking for a Yokihi B2, which was pictured in the auction.

there was another good value poster in the lost as well and maybe another

that eBay seller got high marks from me.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Meansheets

Yeah, eBay's great for posters if you happen to stumble upon a title/design
that you love (for a bargain).

When I first started buying posters, I remember being so paranoid about getting screwed on eBay
that I'd won an APOCALYPSE NOW 1sh for like $10 (including postage)--but I thought for sure it was a fake
b/c it was so cheap, so I contacted the dealer and he heartily agreed to cancel
the sale...Years later, I realized it was from a very reputable dealer. Stupid me!

• Post-aholic
Yeah, eBay's great for posters if you happen to stumble upon a title/design
that you love (for a bargain).

When I first started buying posters, I remember being so paranoid about getting screwed on eBay
that I'd won an APOCALYPSE NOW 1sh for like $10 (including postage)--but I thought for sure it was a fake
b/c it was so cheap, so I contacted the dealer and he heartily agreed to cancel
the sale...Years later, I realized it was from a very reputable dealer. Stupid me!

and what you said above is no doubt in part due to someone telling you how bad the "other guy" is to benefit themselves
it has never been de rigueur to paint a false picture of others to gain an advantage in my book.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't crooks and thieves and liars and cheats. But it does mean painting everyone on eBay - both good and bad - with a broad brush is both wrong headed and morally wrong

there are lots of great dealers on ebay (like Dave L, Captain Bijou, John Hazleton etc) and lots of semi-pros as well as the weekend warriors who do a great job worthy of compliment.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: eBay - Deals That Wound Up Great !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:59:06 PM »
Knock on wood, 99% pf anything I have bought on ebay, poster, or otherwise, has been just fine. Good packaging, sellers who are communicative and willing to be helpful and the items were as described.

As Rich said, there are the sheisters there, that's for sure, but if one knows what they are looking for, does some due diligence and investigative work before pulling the trigger, things can also be a more thumbs up experience, for both buyer and seller.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
and what you said above is no doubt in part due to someone telling you how bad the "other guy" is to benefit themselves
it has never been de rigueur to paint a false picture of others to gain an advantage in my book.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't crooks and thieves and liars and cheats. But it does mean painting everyone on eBay - both good and bad - with a broad brush is both wrong headed and morally wrong

there are lots of great dealers on ebay (like Dave L, Captain Bijou, John Hazleton etc) and lots of semi-pros as well as the weekend warriors who do a great job worthy of compliment.

As well as folks like Dale Dilts, and those other sellers that truly care and want their items to be received and appreciated as much as when they were in their own possession.   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 01:33:55 AM »
I guess the best deal is a Free deal. I had been communicating with the seller of this poster a bit. When out of the blue, he wrote & said he would ship/give it to me for Free, as it had not sold and I had expressed an interest.  I was floored and couldnt believe it. I wrote and insisted on paying but he said No... and said he would refuse a Paypal payment, were I to send him one. (I tried to pay and it was never accepted).  faint2.gif

I love the caricature artwork and the poster, overall, it being from 1952. This was truly an unexpected surprise..and I told him so. Not all ebay poster transactions are bad ones, shipping or otherwise.  thumbup

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:37:47 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »
I was the only bidder on

"old fantasia poster"

no pic, no other description.

took a punt.

received a 1st release Fantasia daybill.

Cost $20 (or so- forget now, certainly under $30 with shipping)

Sold it the day it arrived for, lets say a HELLOVA lot more.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 01:49:02 AM »
Did you take a pic before selling it? If so, would love to see it....

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 01:52:28 AM »
I would have, but was 16 years ago and so even if I found the pic it would be low quality.
Bruce has sold one.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1564177.html

mine wasn't backed, it was in perfect shape- and it sold for substantially more.

Oh and it was posted in a paper envelope, not card at ALL! but arrived fine (left in letterbox while I was at work).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 01:55:55 AM »
Gotta love it.. and a beautiful daybill. Way to go, Ari!   woohoo

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »

I just nabbed a very nice looking Halloween III and Texas Chainsaw MAssacre II (rare door version) for $55 with shipping last week. eMP last sold them for $43 & $70 respectively.

I don't plan on flipping them, but obviously it's still nice to get more bang for your buck every now and then.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
I guess the best deal is a Free deal. I had been communicating with the seller of this poster a bit. When out of the blue, he wrote & said he would ship/give it to me for Free, as it had not sold and I had expressed an interest.  I was floored and couldnt believe it. I wrote and insisted on paying but he said No... and said he would refuse a Paypal payment, were I to send him one. (I tried to pay and it was never accepted).  faint2.gif

I love the caricature artwork and the poster, overall, it being from 1952. This was truly an unexpected surprise..and I told him so. Not all ebay poster transactions are bad ones, shipping or otherwise.  thumbup

Always refreshing to hear stories like that.

Cool caricature design.  Did you find out much history about the artwork, etc.?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
Hey Brandon, Matias pointed me to some info about the artist, Abel Ianiro, who did this type of caricature style on magazine covers and the like. I dont know how many movie posters he may have done, at this point, and maybe this was the only one.

Here's a Pinterest link that shows other examples of his work:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/198228821071297333/

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
One of my favorite Abel Ianiro pieces is this caricature he did of Karloff for Canal TV.