Author Topic: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!  (Read 7373 times)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Bruce

Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
But he was 103, so they MUST be real!

:o

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »
But he was 103, so they MUST be real!

:o

They are framed nice.

;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:14:26 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I messaged the seller, asking when these were framed. Here is the response I got:

"these were dont by a professional framer 3 yrs ago mint condition accept for scratches on the frama after my grandfather died.. these were in plasic for yrs and yrs he had them in a safe these are awesome I have another set that Im keeping my grandfather was on the set he was a set designer I have awesome pictures also these are beautiful and worth the money Im sure they will sell soon thanks for the question sir anything else let me know. Rick"

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
They do look overly good in terms of condition and the "story" etc. but is there anything that immediately jumps out to you Lyn that screams they are, in fact, repros?
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
I think if I was to be in the market for something like this I would rather buy from someone reputable in the industry. With all the repros out there for films like this I would be on edge about buying from someone unknown. I could make a story up like that seller. Not very hard to do.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
They do look overly good in terms of condition and the "story" etc. but is there anything that immediately jumps out to you Lyn that screams they are, in fact, repros?

Looks ok to me, tho I am no expert... I thought it was the dimension given but I think that is just the frame size which is larger than the window card which would then be the correct size at 11 x 14

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »

The story is a shocker, especially when combined with the "I don't know much about this stuff" or whatever, and no refund.

Also the frames to me look like cheap off the shelf frames, not professionally framed.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
He must know what he is talking about:

"in the right hand corner on each lobby card says 54/109  thats all that were issued throughout the world"

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »
He must know what he is talking about:

"in the right hand corner on each lobby card says 54/109  thats all that were issued throughout the world"

I never knew that. I thought it meant that this was set number 54, out of 109 total sets produced.   ;D

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:50:25 AM »
Chris,
I have a problem with this card, fairly new on the "#9" circuit  :D.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
I gotcha Lyn :)

Admittedly, I really only looked at the Title Card but interesting that a #9 was given to Grandpa on the set (as the seller implies) in the 50s.  Guess he got his hands on a Delorean and met his younger self
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:19:43 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
If you want Bullshit in a description try this listing..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171246337590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

He states two of these RE-RELEASE posters were on display at the Leicester Square Odeon for the Premier in 1953..  Ya, right. Would you buy a second hand car from this fellow.

It even states Burton back by popular demand. If anyone buys this they deserve it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
Maybe should put it in the Mid-auction section too...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
Boy oh boy! Those BTTF time machines are great.  You can get re-release paper and take them back to the film premier.  I want one too  ;D.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Boy oh boy! Those BTTF time machines are great.  You can get re-release paper and take them back to the film premier.  I want one too  ;D.

That's a fun way to confuse the public!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »
This looks legit  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREATURE-FROM-THE-BLACK-LAGOON-LOBBY-CARDS-LOT-OF-2-COPYRIGHT-1954-BIG-SALE-/161228741378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2589fb5b02

This auction has gotten 1 bid. 

I just wrote the seller, and included a pic of the original 8 card set in my note. I asked about this "9th" card as it wasn't part of the set as issued. I will keep the board posted, should he reply with some kind of explanation. He may just say he doesnt know as they were inherited from "grandpa's" estate.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Update:

I got 2 deflective replies when i asked twice about the one card of the creature hovering over Julia Adams.

First message I sent:

Thanks for the info, Rick. I am a bit familiar with the lobby card set from this movie, as I also love the Universal horror stuff. Your one card, the one of the creature bending down and cowering above Julia Adams does not exist in the original 8 card set. I've included a pic of all 8 original cards that were issued back when the movie came out. Do you know where this 9th card came from? It has to be something else, since, the original set only had a total of 8, as shown in the attached picture.

Thanks for any other info you can offer.

Jeff

Reply #1 (makes no sense really):

thanks jeff what city are you in... go ahead and send the money order or cashiers check I dont think anyone else will bid... if they do I can send back your money order and request another its up to you Im just trying to make things easier so you will get your items faster I will send fed ex ground - birdsofafeather642012

My message 2:

Hi Rick,

I see your auction has received one bid so far. so it's up and running.

Do you know anything about where your grandfather would have gotten that other card I asked about? Since it was not included in the original 8 card set, Im just curious where he might have gotten it from.

Thanks again.
Jeff

Reply 2 received:

my grandfather died at 103 yrs old a few yrs ago he was a set designer he worked on the orig. the day the earth stood still most of the twight zone and outer limits episodes adam 12 emergency episodes etc he knew bella lagosi and worked on the munsters  - birdsofafeather642012

No 9th card info appearing, it seems. Bummer.  eyeroll

And you gotta love how he says that he thinks no one else will bid, when someone already had? As well as only taking a cashier's check or money order   :P

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
This guy (or gal) is a shyster
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
But, but Chris....

His grandad ALSO knew bella lagosi

qip

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
But, but Chris....

His grandad ALSO knew bella lagosi

qip

Must have been his long lost half uncle
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »
I asked the seller one last question, about whether his grandpa had other movie related materials that he had gotten, during his long career in 'the biz.'

I got this reply:

I dont know there are alot of poster tubes in the attic and alot of other items

- birdsofafeather642012

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
The guy's a loon, and I mean that in the nicest way  ;).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
The guy's a loon, and I mean that in the nicest way  ;).

And considering his user name, birdsofafeather..it seems to fit.  :D

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »
I sent the bastard a few messages and he was rude as hell to me. Saying the info in the listing is what it is and will answer any questions that I had. Sent him a link like Jeff did and got the response saying that he doesn't have time for this that he is busy. I told him that the card does not exist in any set of lobby cards that this would be a mystery 9th card that does not exist and he was a total asshole when replying back. So I am sure once the bidder gets it and realizes it is a fake he will end up having a case opened against him and have to pay the buyer or ebay back. Oh well what a loser of a seller.