Author Topic: Official Thai Movie Poster Authentication Thread  (Read 15107 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Official Thai Movie Poster Authentication Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
LOL my bad. I must have been tired when I posted that.

Oh yeah, it is also crazily overpriced.
To give you an idea, here is average prices for the Godzilla movies right before and after Hedorah (the one he is selling):

Destroy All Monsters (1968) $1200-1500
Godzilla's Revenge (1969) $900-1200
Godzilla vs. Hedora (1971) ????
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972) $300-400
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) $200-300

There is a big drop-off in prices once the 70s movies start and that price is just out of line with any sort of reality (especially for the condition).

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »
More coffee  needed, Randy.

;D

Definitely lol. Long days at work and long nights staying up studying. It is more like I need a whole pot of coffee.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »
Regardless... i think the style and size of that Japanese piece you posted is VERY cool.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
Regardless... i think the style and size of that Japanese piece you posted is VERY cool.

thumbup
Yes it is but I do not think it is worth the asking price IMHO

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 06:05:40 AM »
Interesting to see Bruce's description for the Thai one sheet for Apocalypse Now in Sunday's auction:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3891714

"An Original Vintage Unfolded Thai Commercial Poster (made to be sold to the public; measures 21 1/4" x 30 3/4" [54 x 78 cm])"

So is this different to the one sheet Charlie posted earlier in the thread? Or the same? If the same, I wonder if this means Bruce has some info that the two sheet was the 'proper' theatrical release and the one sheet was made later as a commercial poster for sale to folk? Apologies if that was common knowledge, I never knew this.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 10:09:39 AM »
I think Pea cleared up a lot having talked directly to the artist...

Tongdee would like to confirm that the Apocalypse Now 2-sheets are indeed authentic, but he has never seen the 1-sheets until recently so
he is unsure as to their origin.

Tongdee would also like to set at ease the worries about the posters being purchased from me being restrikes or not originals.
He said no one scanned or reproduced his artwork from the originals, as no Thai artists allow that. As to restrikes, it depends on the orders
 of the rights owners of the films in Thailand. Although they can be reprinted for for use in the rural areas, the colors will mostly be
 different and it will mainly be done for Thai movies, very rarely for foreign movies.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »
Ah, thanks Charlie. I managed to miss that information on my thread re-read this morning. Interesting to know that about the 1-sheet.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
Great info there Charlie

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
I let Bruce know about the Apocalypse Now poster when I was contacted from his company about a month ago about the ENTER THE DRAGON Thai poster which is a reprint.  There was never a one sheet for the Apocalypse Now movie.  There are sketchy things going on with a seller mentioned previously in this thread.  There are some people in this world that I wonder how they sleep at night, they just don't give a s**t about their own scruples.

The thing that concerns me the most is that Apocalypse Now commercial poster sold for $400 f*****g dollars. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:47:03 AM by mwright »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
The thing that concerns me the most is that Apocalypse Now commercial poster sold for $400 f*****g dollars. 

Ouch...

Just curious.  How many of us have the two-sheet now?  I have one.  HarryCaul has one?  Others?

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »
I have a 2 sheet linen backed.  And again I must say that Pea has always been so helpful and a great resource!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:44:35 PM by mwright »

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 12:13:33 AM »
I love the 2-sht Apoc Now poster but it has always been out of my price range

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
I let Bruce know about the Apocalypse Now poster when I was contacted from his company about a month ago about the ENTER THE DRAGON Thai poster which is a reprint.  There was never a one sheet for the Apocalypse Now movie.  There are sketchy things going on with a seller mentioned previously in this thread.  There are some people in this world that I wonder how they sleep at night, they just don't give a s**t about their own scruples.

Mike, if that commercial one sheet size sold for over 400 bucks, what does the theatrical APOC NOW 2sheet normally sell for (or what's the price range)?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:12:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
Gonna be honest, when I was in Bangkok some years ago, I was shown a good condition 1 sheet as well as a 2 sheet but with water damage and a big hole on right upper side.  Since I wanted the poster to be hanged, I chose the 1sh, smaller, better condition.  Both were offered at same price, I paid much less than this, about 80-90 USD I think.  Someone said here he was offered 2sh recently at about 500 USD, that seems to be the price.

I spoke to a Thai seller in Bgk about poster 1sh not being real, being a reproduction. He somehow acknowledged this when I mentioned the issue with line but said to me that he is legit seller and never sold fake... but that other Thai sellers are all doing it.  They are selling these backdoor to collectors but he stopped.  You call it "commercial poster", some call it "fake poster"... I think better terms is "limited original reproduction" :)  I think these repro were made in the late 90s and they are not printed anymore nowadays, someone made one batch.

As for people raising concerns and questions of authentication, just forget it... when you start engaging with people to get the truth, you realise poster sellers is a small world and everybody has their own little secret.     I wonder what makes people think that one guy can sell fakes while others sellers being totally unaware or not selling fake ???  Same questions for collectors who bought fakes, especially over 100 USD, do you really think they will come out in public and claim it is a fake ??   

Even getting info on other thai posters is difficult as you get facetious answers and no clear replies - http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?topic=11550.0
You speak to collectors, they will throw at you it is a fake with low offer of 70 USD.  And few buyers who have similar posters will simply not reply due to possible financial loss. 

As for me, I wrote to the second Thai seller I was supposed to meet just to get an answer on these fakes.  I told him/her that I presumably bought fake posters from the first seller and that I am disappointed that I didn't get any warning about this (here on forum or by email).  I also asked if the posters are really fake and mentioned that the first seller said lot bad thing about him/her.  No answer. I wrote another email, no answer.   Few months, I wrote another email asking if these posters are available, I got an immediate reply "They have been sold some months ago" .  I asked for market prices, no answer. I fail to understand why no one here took time to warn me too when I posted about the shop here, so many knowledgeable people, especially knowing that most knowledgeable people agree on fact they are fake. Pfffff.   It says a lot, people are dishonest and clearly lack of empathy  

I wrote to first seller to put pressure, I asked about fakes and to have my money back and return them.  He replied this:

"It has been for a several years that we do sell the poster as well as be a first of poster seller in online. Our shop is well known.

Every time after we finished bidding the poster that got high price, the other seller will offer the price in order to find the same poster as well. Somehow they don't know where it from but we know the source. It makes us get a problem to deal in the same price that have brought before. Because the buzz of high price gone wide in market, so it makes us to stop selling online. There are a lot of many poster still out there and some of it got less because we sell it in the shop. Actually, the poster that you brought from us is the one that we intend to sell to someone because he ordered it.
If you want to return the poster back please contact the address below. We will return your money immediately after received the poster from you.

Please send parcel back with registered airmail. Our shop open since 1997, the only one shop, no branch, never move before. So, there is no reason to be afraid and sell the fake one. We had opened official shop, and it always been for long time. Just let you know, we will never cheat and disappear from you. This returning of goods is the standard swap that every buyer and seller do. You return my product and I return your money.   Our poster shop has been in XXXX, for almost 18 years. We never move the shop to anywhere. That's why I would to tell you that please do not judge us as thief. If you got the problem, come and find me in Bangkok. I'm ready to meet you all the times.
"

This said, the image is great, the movie is too and Thai posters are really good !!
And life is good !