Author Topic: Official Thai Movie Poster Authentication Thread  (Read 15105 times)

Charlie

Re: Official Thai Movie Poster Authentication Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
 clap

Thank you so much Pea!  This clears up the fold issue for good.  You can easily tell in the Terminator art that the fold don't really match up as if they were two separate pieces... 

Your statements from Tongdee about the Apocalypse Now One Sheet also makes sense as they appear to be cleaned up digitally and the text was not pushed back together; as if they were scans of the Two Sheet.

The information straight from Tongdee is invaluable... 

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
In respect to the TERMINATOR pic that was posted where it was speculated there might not be a line in it, I can tell you there is a line.  That's a pic of my Terminator poster from a Thai poster show of some posters in my collection that happened in California.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
In respect to the TERMINATOR pic that was posted where it was speculated there might not be a line in it, I can tell you there is a line.  That's a pic of my Terminator poster from a Thai poster show of some posters in my collection that happened in California.
welcome1 Mike good to see that you made it to the forum after countless emails. Pea does give some very good information. I do have a question about the Terminator though. Almost every Terminator poster I have seen has the water damage over the guy on the right side of the poster. Can you or Pea help shed some light on that. I think I have seen a few where there has not been damage to that section of the poster. But the one I have and that Charlie has plus a few of the ones I have seen on ebay all have this area of water damage to it. And I am wonder why that is?
welcome1 again buddy. Glad Pea gave me your email so we could get in touch and get you signed up.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
Hi Randy, I have three TERMINATORS - two have the specific water damage and one does not.  Thailand is prone to massive rain storms and floods not to mention intense humidity.  I've heard many posters and poster collections have been lost or damaged  due to flooding.  I seems (speculation) a single pile of TERMINATOR posters was exposed to unclean water that left a type of chalky residue when dried.  These water damaged posters are ones I've seen for sale the most.  The two water damaged ones have one slight "fold" line (not creased) and the one without damage is folded three times  horizontal and once vertical.  I have many Thai posters that are slightly water damaged in one way or another.  I guess it comes with the Thai climate.

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
welcome1 Mike good to see that you made it to the forum after countless emails. Pea does give some very good information. I do have a question about the Terminator though. Almost every Terminator poster I have seen has the water damage over the guy on the right side of the poster. Can you or Pea help shed some light on that. I think I have seen a few where there has not been damage to that section of the poster. But the one I have and that Charlie has plus a few of the ones I have seen on ebay all have this area of water damage to it. And I am wonder why that is?
welcome1 again buddy. Glad Pea gave me your email so we could get in touch and get you signed up.

welcome1 Mike

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
That makes perfect sense Mike. Thank you for clearing that up. Again glad to see you in the forum finally lol.

Offline thaimovieposter

• Hobbyist
  • Welcome to Collect Thai Movie Poster
    • Thaimovieposters
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »
The Thai 2-sheet movie posters were done from the original artwork (like Apocalypse Now) and were released only in large theaters (both urban and rural areas).

Terminator posters are absolutely 100% originals and not re-strikes.
The ones with a lot of damage came from a very old theater out in the rural area of the country, while the unfolded/rolled ones almost all originated from a find I had with an urban theater that was liquidating old stock and had kept them in a good storage place but unfortunately had water damage to the roll as a result of our bad temperature.

Of course the Pakistani poster is simply a copy of the original Thai poster and it was done without Tongdee's permission or the permission of the rights owner here in Thailand.

Offline thaimovieposter

• Hobbyist
  • Welcome to Collect Thai Movie Poster
    • Thaimovieposters
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Welcome .  Mike

Thank you for your additional information.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »
Thank you Mike and Pea. The information you both provided is invaluable. Thanks again.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »
I've bought quite a few Thai posters over the years because they often have striking artwork, especially for genre movies. Often the Thai poster is better than the country-of-origin version! Also, for obscure movies the Thai poster may be the easiest to locate. There are Thai posters for Italian gialli and Hong Kong action movies that I have not seen much paper for elsewhere. In fact when I first got into posters over a decade ago, one of my first purchases was a roll of 20 or so Thai posters for Hong Kong movies for which I paid a ridiculously low price, and I have no doubt they are genuine.

I think of them sort of as the Mexican lobby cards of the Far East. They are cheap, cheerful and fun to collect, but are not really worth anything except in a few rare cases. Like Mexican lobby cards, they seem to have been produced in vast numbers and despite the harsh conditions of the country, a lot have survived (even though many times more must have been destroyed). This abundant access to mostly minor titles means that it makes no sense to make fakes except for the very occasional big-name title (the Apocalypse Now might be a case in point). Also, the printing process of the time means that many details will vary even from the exact same print run. It seems to me to be overkill to go the whole "poster forensic" route unless we are talking multi-hundreds of dollars material. And in that case, I would not so much go on what is printed but on the paper itself - does it feel and smell the right way for its supposed age? If this seems right the poster is most likely genuine. Even if there was a Thai poster forger out there somewhere, they definitely would not go the whole hog of printing on old paper!

Charlie

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:25 AM »
While I agree with your statements rumble, and due to my experiences with Indian/Bollywood movie posters, I have always had a difficult time trusting the authenticity of posters from Asia.  Many of the printing houses in India have no worries, for the right price, in running off extras or copies. This I think has a lot to do with culture. I also think for you to compare Thai posters to Mexican Lobbies is a little harsh since Mexican lobbies lack the art incentive that Thai posters provide.  I will also say that the apocalypse now 2 sheet is a $300+ poster, we'll worth the exercise... And there are several that have the horizontal one sheet that would probably like to know more...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:49 AM »
I also think for you to compare Thai posters to Mexican Lobbies is a little harsh since Mexican lobbies lack the art incentive that Thai posters provide. 

I think it's a disingenuous comparison because finding Thai posters for key 50s/early 60s titles can be extremely difficult.
People are confusing an abundance of no-name 80s/90s titles with earlier, more difficult to locate material.
I'll pay $700 to the first person who can send me a Thai poster for the first Godzilla film, and $500 if you send me one for the second.
Heck, fine me something as "easy" as Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, that's a 70s film - must be a ton of them around.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »
I think it's a disingenuous comparison because finding Thai posters for key 50s/early 60s titles can be extremely difficult.
People are confusing an abundance of no-name 80s/90s titles with earlier, more difficult to locate material.
I'll pay $700 to the first person who can send me a Thai poster for the first Godzilla film, and $500 if you send me one for the second.
Heck, fine me something as "easy" as Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, that's a 70s film - must be a ton of them around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODZILLA-VS-THE-SMOG-MONSTER-POSTER-original-japanese-2sheet-RARE-TOHO-Japan-/180568704294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0abbc526

A 2sheet even  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
And 10 offers made on it, since 2011... all declined.  :-[

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
And 10 offers made on it, since 2011... all declined.  :-[

To bad we can't see what those offers are.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
Looks pretty cool, tho, I gotta say. And it's a great size, too!  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 02:03:21 AM »
Looks pretty cool, tho, I gotta say. And it's a great size, too!  thumbup

Yes it is but I do not think I would pay that much for it.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 04:13:27 AM »
I spent several hours a couple years ago scrutinizing my APOCALYPSE NOW 2 sheet and 1 sheet posters and I'm convinced, as has been mentioned, that some type of "Photoshop" work was used to create the 1 sheet.  I noticed several differences but the biggest two are the missing line on the 1 sheet where the two painted boards of the original art were butted up against each other, and the second is that on the 2 sheet there is a portion of the art that is empty with no people:

(sorry for the lower resolution)

and on the 1 sheet there are two guys that are exact duplicates of two others located directly to the right.  You can even see the green arm of another guy that was partially duplicated due to cut and paste.  I've seen the original art for this poster and can tell you those two extra guys are not there.

So the question is if the 1 sheet was created for a re-release several years later, or is somebody just making money off this kick ass design.  There's a well known Bangkok dealer who always has the one sheet on his wall and sold them on ebay for several years.  He would be able to answer the question.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:44 AM »
And how do we contact this guy Mike? I think it would be nice if we could put this Apocalypse Now to rest with getting to the bottom of the two. Nice post by the way.

guest4531

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »
And how do we contact this guy Mike? I think it would be nice if we could put this Apocalypse Now to rest with getting to the bottom of the two. Nice post by the way.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6761.msg131220.html#msg131220

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »
Same guy whose shop I went to and we had chatted about. He has multiples of apoc now one sheet.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
Not a Thai poster.
Thought this was a discussion about Thai posters
LOL my bad. I must have been tired when I posted that.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
More coffee  needed, Randy.

;D

-Jeff