Author Topic: Victor Castillo- Poster restorer at JM Restorations (video)  (Read 5786 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Victor Castillo- Poster restorer at JM Restorations (video)
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
While watching the Superbowl (well, while the commercials are muted  ;) ), I came across this youtube video, interviewing a gentleman named Victor Castillo. He works for JM Restorations, in Oceanside, CA (Jaime Mendez' studio).

A nice interview and informative, but what caught my ear was his comment at about 3:08, where he states that after the touch up work has been completed, the entire poster is "sprayed and sealed." I am assuming this would be a water-based type of sealer, as anything else would make the touch ups permanent and non-removable (or much more difficult to do so).

What i did like, too, was the way the camera captured the touch ups to the fold lines at :56. From this angle, the retouched folds are still visible; the idea being that when looking at it straight on and in the proper lighting, fold lines can be rendered *almost* invisible, (since folds can result in breaks in the paper fibers and ink). 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LpIPGVRxyqY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LpIPGVRxyqY</a>

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Victor Castillo- Poster restorer at JM Restorations (video)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
Customers in general (read, not nutty collectors like us) prefer the slightly glossier look I believe. Not sure if it is reversible. I hope so

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
Customers in general (read, not nutty collectors like us) prefer the slightly glossier look I believe. Not sure if it is reversible. I hope so

I cant imagine spraying a stone litho poster from the 1920s to give it that (even) slightly glossy sheen when it wasn't that way to begin with. Unless it is a matte/dull finish. (Kryolan?)

And I, too, would hope that it is reversible.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
Great find Jeff!

Trying to figure out if at 2:37 that is a poster that hangs behind me on the wall...hmmmm???
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
Great find Jeff!

Trying to figure out if at 2:37 that is a poster that hangs behind me on the wall...hmmmm???

Chris,

When did you send a HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL OS out here to Oceanside?

If the time frame (of the vid) is right.. it very well could be.  :)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
Chris,

When did you send a HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL OS out here to Oceanside?

If the time frame (of the vid) is right.. it very well could be.  :)

A couple years ago now :)

That video was published in 2013 but I wonder when it was filmed?

I think mine had softer fold lines but would be cool...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
A couple years ago now :)

That video was published in 2013 but I wonder when it was filmed?

I think mine had softer fold lines but would be cool...

You might be famous!!
 ;D

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
A nice interview and informative, but what caught my ear was his comment at about 3:08, where he states that after the touch up work has been completed, the entire poster is "sprayed and sealed." I am assuming this would be a water-based type of sealer, as anything else would make the touch ups permanent and non-removable (or much more difficult to do so).

Archival Fixative.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
Archival Fixative.

Thanks, Charlie.

Not a good choice, tho (IMO), to touch up and then "seal" the restorative touch ups with an over spray. (Unless asked of the client beforehand, or suggested and, then, accepted).  ;)

If so.. then all is fair in love and war.

;D

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Ooooh lot's of poster goodness in that video.  And is that a Crawford poster I see!?  Our Blushing Brides indeed  :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Ooooh lot's of poster goodness in that video.  And is that a Crawford poster I see!?  Our Blushing Brides indeed  :)

It is, Brian.

I was trying to decide if that was a later RR, being in black and white. It caught me eye, tho, too.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
No, it's an original release.  It's a type of poster they did in the 20's and early 30's using the Rotogravure process.  Pretty cool looking, but the stone-lithos are still the ticket.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7029&lotNo=83150

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
That ha copy sold for a pretty penny, too!  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
Brandon,

Maybe this is one of the guys (the vid in the first post of this thread) that dealt with your poster, in some capacity.

dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
Cool video.  Looks like he does good work. 

Although the modern glossies are more difficult to get matched up perfectly, the work could be a little better on a few posters in the video.  One example is at 3:32.

I hadn't seen this before, so thanks for bumping this thread.  I'll reserve my saga with JMR for the other thread.

cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
Cool video.  Looks like he does good work. 

Although the modern glossies are more difficult to get matched up perfectly, the work could be a little better on a few posters in the video.  One example is at 3:32.

I hadn't seen this before, so thanks for bumping this thread.  I'll reserve my saga with JMR for the other thread.

cheers

I will watch it again, too, as its been a while since i watched this guy's process and listened to his commentary.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
At 1:28, it's interesting to hear about the way some customers are, and of course, very nice of JMR to allow customers to visit while they're working.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Victor Castillo - Poster restorer at JM Restorations (video)
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
While watching the Superbowl (well, while the commercials are muted  ;) ), I came across this youtube video, interviewing a gentleman named Victor Castillo. He works for JM Restorations, in Oceanside, CA (Jaime Mendez' studio).

What i did like, too, was the way the camera captured the touch ups to the fold lines at :56. From this angle, the retouched folds are still visible; the idea being that when looking at it straight on and in the proper lighting, fold lines can be rendered *almost* invisible, (since folds can result in breaks in the paper fibers and ink). 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LpIPGVRxyqY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LpIPGVRxyqY</a>

Maybe this gentleman "knows" something more about the mechanics of the Haggard-Jaime fakery technique?  dontknow.gif hmmm.gif
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:30:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff