Author Topic: That ONE Poster, if you could, you would trade your collection for  (Read 22797 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: That ONE Poster, if you could, you would trade your collection for
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
Whut? I looked on the Internetz the other day and found this site called "Cinemasterpieces" and I now KNOW my collection is worth at least $700,000.  Don't try to fool me!

rofl1

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
Well, i would trade Mel's collection for the Frankie 6 sht  ;D

hear hear!  :D

I still cant think of one poster I really want except for the purpose of selling it to buy back my shit posters and then get the actual good 3,000 posters on my list.

Charlie

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:24 PM »
Anybody else ever ponder if collectors really like Uni Horror for the subject matter or just because it is the rarest and most expensive genre in movie poster collecting.  I mean other than the fact that the Frankie 6SHT is priceless, I wouldn't even think about hanging it on my wall...  Maybe just to say - "And here we have my half-a-million dollar Frankenstein poster (Aren't I better that you - hahahahah)." Which is a stupid reason to hang a poster. I mean you guys have seen the films - yes they were awesome for the time, but they kinda suck now...

So you Uni Horror freaks, is it the value and rarity or does Frankenstein really hit the "G" spot?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
You shouldn't fiend about it, Charlie.
If it's not your thing, so be it.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
everyone whom I know who collects Uni-horror loves the ferq out of it

I love the pieces I have as much as I love my Raymond Chandler posters

however, a lot of the 1950s sci-fi/horror posters I have I've been pulling out because even though I watched every one of these miserable films when I was a kid in the 1960s, they haven't maintained my interest

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:24 AM »
Anybody else ever ponder if collectors really like Uni Horror for the subject matter or just because it is the rarest and most expensive genre in movie poster collecting.  I mean other than the fact that the Frankie 6SHT is priceless, I wouldn't even think about hanging it on my wall...  Maybe just to say - "And here we have my half-a-million dollar Frankenstein poster (Aren't I better that you - hahahahah)." Which is a stupid reason to hang a poster. I mean you guys have seen the films - yes they were awesome for the time, but they kinda suck now...

So you Uni Horror freaks, is it the value and rarity or does Frankenstein really hit the "G" spot?

Nope, not a bit.  If I had it my way all posters from all genres would be a buck a shot, then I could afford to get'm all. I've never looked the value of a poster as a reason to buy (no speculation for me).  If I can afford it and like it, so be it, if it's out of my reach $$ wise that's just the way it goes.  I'll never drive a Ferrari either  wynk
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 05:09:57 AM »
Nope, not a bit.  If I had it my way all posters from all genres would be a buck a shot, then I could afford to get'm all. I've never looked the value of a poster as a reason to buy (no speculation for me).  If I can afford it and like it, so be it, if it's out of my reach $$ wise that's just the way it goes.  I'll never drive a Ferrari either  wynk

I'll pay $20 for Double Indemnity posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Charlie

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:32 AM »
You shouldn't fiend about it, Charlie.
If it's not your thing, so be it.

I am not trying to stir anything up...  It just seems like every collector seems to be willing to give a kidney for a Frankie 6SHT and since it's not my thing, I find my self questioning whether some desirables are personally driven or group driven...  You know, peer pressure.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
I side with Charlie, T and a few on this.

Seems a lot of people are willing to give up their collection for one poster because it is the most expensive or rare etc. Sure, trade it all for a Metropolis, sell it then start again, but really, that wasn't the point of the question (or why we are in the game).

For me, I don't think there is one poster I would want that is better than all my current collection put together. Sure, there's a few posters I'd give my Matt's left nut for, but give it all up for the ONE? Nope.
David

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »
I am not trying to stir anything up...  It just seems like every collector seems to be willing to give a kidney for a Frankie 6SHT and since it's not my thing, I find my self questioning whether some desirables are personally driven or group driven...  You know, peer pressure.

Umm... I collect Universal horror and I'm not really a fan of the Frankenstein 6-sheet (he doesn't even have neck bolts...). For Frankie posters I think the Teaser is the bomb.
I also don't like the Black Cat title card, and think the Son of Frankenstein insert stinks (among others).
Part of what makes collecting fun - different things for different folks.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
I personally don't see myself spending more than $20k on a movie poster.  I think that would be my limit.  Anything above that and I would turn to fine art.  It's a personal preference, and I understand if it's not shared on a poster forum, but if I'm going to spend that kind of cash, I will not spend it on printed paper.  For $20k and up, you can start finding some interesting (and unique) drawings or paintings, nothing out of this world, but if you're savvy enough, you can bet on some emerging artists, help them out and hope that it turns out to be all it can be.  It's a gamble, but it's a gamble I'd much rather take than invest $200k (or whatever it's worth) on a movie poster with an ugly character (IMO, of course) that may or may not mean anything to future generations.  Beyond not wanting to dismantle a collection I took years to assemble, it is another reason as to why I would never trade everything I own for one single poster. 

T
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:32:36 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

If anyone wants to trade all or part of their collection for a Pretty Woman one sheet please give us a call.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
If anyone wants to trade all or part of their collection for a Pretty Woman one sheet please give us a call.

Mel should be calling you up soon

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
Maybe so and I love the little devil but it's not my holy grail (and I lean heavy toward the Unis). Don't have much in that way but my collection is my holy grail.  So adding posters is like adding jewels to the crown. The grail just keeps getting fuller and more satisfying all the time.

I totally am with Lynn on his sentiment here. Personally, I couldn't agree more and is the way I view it, too.  Egyptsmiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:38:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »
I miss my friend Lynn.. Heritage has been selling his collection

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
I wondered if some of that material was his. Good to know HA is handling it and helping to get it off to new, "horrorific" caretakers.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
I only have a small collection of posters, but, even with the small collection I own it would be tough to give them all up for one single poster, maybe I'd think about it for this one though:

http://www.originalposter.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?rid=11121

simply because I'm a huge Carry On fan and there is only supposedly only a couple of these in existence, most that got printed were destroyed.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:36:52 PM by erik1925 »

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
I haven't seen this thread before  :o

Anyway I wouldn't trade all my collection for a single poster. Only thing I want to see/own is a UK quad for Laura.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »

Only if the Pretty Woman is in C - 9 or better would you consider throwing in a Batman vs Superman as well? I'll PM you
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
Only thing I want to see/own is a UK quad for Laura.

Me too.  I have the US 1/2 and US OS and the impossible to find large French.  The 6sht will be mine soon enough (working at it).  The quad would be nice.

Bring it on!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
Me too.  I have the US 1/2 and US OS and the impossible to find large French.  The 6sht will be mine soon enough (working at it).  The quad would be nice.

Bring it on!!!

T

That's just being greedy.  Nobody should hoard that much Laura  ;D
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
That's just being greedy.  Nobody should hoard that much Laura  ;D

I dated two girls named Laura, back to back, one of them for a full year.  I AM ENTITLED.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »

Bring it on!!!

T

Nice T! Working on the 6sh  :o Let's hope you get that.
As for the quad lets hope I find it before you  ;D

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Revisiting this thread that I started 3 years ago, I must say that I just recently got my dream poster, and now I start the task of selling half my posters to pay for it (granted, I only have around 40 posters, so that won't be a huge task).  And let me tell ya, every day that I look at that poster on the wall, a poster I thought I could never own, a poster I have been fascinated with since the day I started exploring this hobby,  it is totally worth it  bed1 

Just thought I would give an update.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
Revisiting this thread that I started 3 years ago, I must say that I just recently got my dream poster, and now I start the task of selling half my posters to pay for it (granted, I only have around 40 posters, so that won't be a huge task).  And let me tell ya, every day that I look at that poster on the wall, a poster I thought I could never own, a poster I have been fascinated with since the day I started exploring this hobby,  it is totally worth it  bed1 

Just thought I would give an update.

I get an error from the link in the first post....what poster is it????
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.