Author Topic: My NEW! Thai poster collection....  (Read 40199 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: My NEW! Thai poster collection....
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
ET triptych!!!  Phenomenal!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »
ET triptych!!!  Phenomenal!!!

T

I know you also have this E.T. trio T (no surprise about that ;)) but, I can hand on heart say I never in a million years thought the opportunity would come my way to be able to snap the three of them up, I'll admit I had to pay out a pretty penny to get them, but, I just could not resist, the Tongdee artwork is truly fantastic especially when seen up close in the flesh.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
Yes, they are definitely getting a little harder to find these days.  I wasn't aware they were expensive, but these days it seems everything is.

I don't know if you frame your stuff, but they would look fun together as a triptych.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2020, 02:41:57 AM »
Yes, they are definitely getting a little harder to find these days.  I wasn't aware they were expensive, but these days it seems everything is.

I don't know if you frame your stuff, but they would look fun together as a triptych.

T

Hey! T,

From speaking to a few of my highly trusted Thai contacts and purely from doing my own research all three of the Thai E.T posters are considered very rare nowadays and are becoming more & more scarce all the time, since I've been collecting Thai posters I've only ever seen the the "3rd" E.T. poster for sale on it's own a couple of times, personally I've never seen the first two for sale anywhere before now and they are 100% much harder to find than the 3rd one for whatever reason.

As for the price, if you were just buying one at a time then I have no doubt you could get a lower price on them individually, but, the thing here is I was buying them as a "full set" no matter what type of collectable your talking about from my experience if have a full set of something it instantly becomes more valuable.

The chances of finding someone else who had the full set for sale IMO was very slim and highly unlikely to happen again anytime soon (if ever) so I had a figure in my mind that was the max. I'd go to for the posters and luckily for me it was enough to get the deal over the line, in the end I'm happy with what I got them for and I already consider them some of the best posters I've bought "to date"

As for framing them, I totally agree they'd look amazing framed, but, I simply have not got a frame big enough for the job, maybe something to consider in the future though, who knows hmmm.gif

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:13 PM »
Congrats John! I like those a lot, Tongdee is a talented artist.

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2020, 07:34:34 PM »
The ET posters are fantastic! My initials are ET so I've always had a connection to the movie.

On my 10th birthday we went to Universal Studios. I got picked out of the crowd to show how they did the special effects for the scene where he rides the bike in front of the moon. After they projected the moon behind me they asked my favorite movie. I hadn't seen ET so I said Top Gun. Everyone laughed, then the host asked again. This time I said Back to the Future. She congratulated me for at least picking a Universal movie that time ;D I still remember that day vividly 32 years later.

You have inspired me to look into getting some more ET posters. 

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2020, 03:02:17 AM »
@Tob Thanks! mate, glad you like the E.T. posters, yes, I agree 100% about Tongdee, easily one of the best poster artists in Thailand if not the world, he created so many amazing film posters.

@eric Appreciate the compliment on the E.T. posters, also thank you for sharing your amusing story about Universal Studios, nice to know these posters stirred up an old memory for you, finally good luck/hunting if you go after some E.T. posters yourself :)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2020, 03:38:18 AM »
Hey! all, welcome1

About time I updated my Thai collection again, first of all there's nothing super exciting or especially rare in this lot nearly all were pretty cheap pick up's in all honesty, in fact a few of them I've held back for a while until I had more posters to show.

It's been a really quiet spell of late for me with my poster collecting for the most part as there's simply not been much around to go for, anyway there is at least a little variation here.

First up,

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 (by Kwow) - This is the only Thai Elm Street I never had out of the first 6 films, so it was always one I intended to pick up one day.

Dragons Forever (by Tongdee) - A much liked Jackie Chan film from the late 80's, some nice artwork of the main stars on this one.

Evil Dead 2 - (by Jinda) - This is another one I've always intended to pick up but only recently got around to it, personally I much prefer the artwork on the Evil Dead Thai poster, but still glad to finally own the poster for the sequel as well.

Private School - (by Kwow) - Always really liked the main image of Cates on this poster, another cheap poster and as I collect a lot of 80's stuff a no brainer pick up for the price.

Project A 2 (by Tongdee) Version A - Another well known Jackie Chan HK flick, again some nice artwork on this one IMO, as it's been such a dry spell I've picked up a few Chan posters in recent months as many of them have some really nice artwork.

Project A 2 (by Tongdee) Version B - This is as far as I know a re-release but also by Tongdee, if you look closely you can see some of the same artwork is reused from the first release poster, however there's enough about this one that makes it unique and I'm happy to own both versions.

So there you go that's it, nothing major here, but a few solid enough additions to build up the collection a little while I wait for something more exciting to come along.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:42:46 AM by Test1 »

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2020, 03:17:46 AM »
The NIGHTMARE 3 is fun. I have an EVIL DEAD 2 Thai---and it's very nice. (Welcome to the club. Ha!) Phoebe Cates in PRIVATE SCHOOL...she retired far too young... Nice stuff. Congratulations.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2020, 05:13:23 AM »
The NIGHTMARE 3 is fun. I have an EVIL DEAD 2 Thai---and it's very nice. (Welcome to the club. Ha!) Phoebe Cates in PRIVATE SCHOOL...she retired far too young... Nice stuff. Congratulations.

Appreciate the congrats GoGo thumbsup.gif

I always felt I had to pick up Elm Street 3 one day as although not my personal favourite Thai Elm Street poster (that would be the original Elm Street) Elm Street 3 is easily one of the best films in the Elm Street series so I'm glad to have finally added it to the collection.

As for Evil Dead 2, the poster has certainly grown on me more since I've owned it but I still think the original Evil Dead Thai poster has the best artwork overall.

As for Private School I've always liked the artwork on this one and Cates has always been very easy on the eyes :D

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2020, 03:16:35 AM »
Hey! all welcome1

Back again, with another little selection, once again like so many of my posters every one of these is from the 80's:

Armour Of God - I've been told by a reliable source that this is one of the rarest Chan Thai posters (I have no idea why that is, your guess is as good as mine) basically this was Chan's version of Indiana Jones in terms of the character he plays, Chan fans will also know this is the film that almost killed Chan when one of his stunts went badly wrong and he basically fell on his head, ouch! anyway nice artwork by Kham.

Cannonball Run - A quick glance and you'd be forgiven thinking that this was a poster for another Chan film, but, a closer look and your see it's a Thai poster for none other than Cannonball Run, Chan as you'd expect was/is massive throughout Asia so no surprise that the Thai poster treats him as the main star and selling point of the film even though most would naturally consider Burt Reynolds as the main star of the film, either way cool! poster IMO with some good fun artwork by Poj.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High - Been on the look out for this one for a while, some lovely colourful artwork by Kwow, this is a poster that a few years ago popped up fairly often but nowadays is actually getting pretty tricky to find, so overall pleased to have this one in the collection as an 80's coming of age comedy classic.

Robocop - Last but certainly not least, another by Kwow, always loved the unique Thai artwork at the bottom of this poster, not a hard poster to find but until now I'd just not got around to picking it up, really happy to finally own it.

So that's all for now, IMO 4 great! additions as my Thai collection keeps on growing 8)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »
Bravo, John! I dig the Thais. I have a FAST TIMES Thai as well...with the pool scene artistically rendered (Oh my!). Ha!

Keep it up and congratulations.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2020, 03:38:47 AM »
Bravo, John! I dig the Thais. I have a FAST TIMES Thai as well...with the pool scene artistically rendered (Oh my!). Ha!

Keep it up and congratulations.

Thanks! GoGo thumbsup.gif

Good to know you also have FAST TIMES, like I mentioned in my comments FAST TIMES is a good Thai poster to have/find nowadays, having spoken to a couple of very good Thai poster collectors it does not appear on the market very often anymore.

As I mainly stick to only collecting Thai posters I'm noticing more & more there are many posters like FAST TIMES that 5 years ago or so were fairly easily found but are now really starting to become quite scarce.

It's certainly getting harder to find good Thai posters nowadays and if you do manage to find Thai posters for well known films especially from the 70's, 80's period the prices are starting to creep up all the time.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2020, 12:29:29 AM »
Well, your Thai finds are very nice. I have a Thai NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1 and 2...but your 3 is groovy cool.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
@GoGo Thanks! GoGo, glad you like the Elm Street 3, I'm also pleased to own it, but, for what it's worth if you own Elm Street 1 & 2 then I think you already have the best Thai Elm Street poster, I consider Elm Street 1 the best one for the artwork and I also like the artwork for Elm Street 2 a lot as well, in fact I prefer both of the ones you own over Elm Street 3 in terms of the artwork thumbsup.gif

Anyway, hi! all, welcome1

I've finally added a few posters to my Thai collection today and thought I'd share them with you, happy with all three of these, but, I'll let you try and guess which one is my favourite of the three hmmm.gif

Enjoy!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
Love the first two.  Especially Alcatraz!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2020, 02:03:36 AM »
Love the first two.  Especially Alcatraz!!!

T

Thank You! T, yep, Alcatraz is my favourite of the 3 and the main one I was after, it's one I've been after for a while, love the Thai poster and the film itself, also like the Commando a lot as well, it reminds me a little bit of the Thai Robocop poster in that the main art is similar to other posters worldwide but the unique extra Thai artwork makes the Thai poster the one to own IMO.

I should just add both Alcatraz & Commando are by "Kwow" for anyone interested. :)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2020, 05:22:35 AM »
SCUM? Ha! I've never heard of it...but dig the title. Interesting find. CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2020, 07:35:36 AM »
SCUM? Ha! I've never heard of it...but dig the title. Interesting find. CHEERS!

How's it going GoGo,

yeah, SCUM is a violent and controversial British film released in "79" (in the UK), it's quite highly rated on film sites like IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes etc.

In all honesty I was pretty shocked to find there was a Thai poster for this film, but, it did not cost to much so I snapped it up, the most well known actor in the film would easily be "Ray Winstone" the artwork on the SCUM Thai poster was done by the same artist that did the often seen Thai Evil Dead poster.

Anyway, happy to have added it to the collection, but, as I said to T, the star of the show out of these latest 3 additions was ALCATRAZ by some distance :)