Author Topic: We've got to turn this baby around!  (Read 48055 times)

Charlie

Re: We've got to turn this baby around!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
Surely with an International Forum with Global Moderators, they would come from around the Globe. Not one country.

Do we not have a moderator outside the US?  Interesting... Maybe T counts himself European?  It maybe a good idea to recruit a foreigner... 

Charlie

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »
Of course the super-sized boys deserve to have fun too!

Damn, now I have to go on a diet and hit the gym...  Fucker!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
Like Forest said "I think, it's both" for me.  I come here to hang out and learn about stuff, I like to learn about the past relationships I don't know anything about.  Like the other day someone mentioned Phil Edwards - I am not sure I even know who that is although I've heard the name before. He is some super poster guy that holds things together...

I am pretty sure Unka Phil will get a good kick out of being described as such  ;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
..it didn't take long for this thread to lose it's purpose and go off on a tangient.......

Steve got his wish pretty damn quick!
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Do we not have a moderator outside the US?  Interesting... Maybe T counts himself European?  It maybe a good idea to recruit a foreigner... 

As far as us down-under are concerned the place is run by foreigners
David

Charlie

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
As far as us down-under are concerned the place is run by foreigners

My sophomore year at Texas A&M I went to Mexico City for an international engineering competition - my first international trip. I still remember getting off the plane and telling my buddy "We are surrounded by foreigners!"  he, a couple years my senior and well traveled, politely pointed out, "Charlie, we are the foreigners." 

I also remember being coached on the plane to Australia that most Aussies think Americans are stuck up assholes.. And walking into a travel agency my first week there and having to (while embarrassed to be the next American in line) watch as some American bitch totally ragging on the poor girl at the counter - Right there off Queens Street in Brisbane.  I think she even said "This wouldn't happen in the US"...  My first words to the girl were - "We aren't all like that... I hope you will still help me..."  My buddy found these sand island you could go, well I guess, sand-boarding...  It was a bitch getting to the top and fun coming down.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
I am sure this will stir up a hornet's nest but the fact is Charlie, the American tourist is generally not well thought of the world over, I would guess in particular in non-English speaking countries. That is not to say every country doesn't have its own a**holes tourist in someone else's country. I think it's the American tourist's treatment of service staff and country comparisons where it stems from.

Some years ago I was learning Italian so I could travel through Italy for a month - I thought it would be polite to have at least a smattering of their (beautiful) language - our teacher said that when we get their we were to slip in asap that we were from Australia as Americans were not well liked as tourist. I saw why first hand in two restaurants, on a train and at The Colosseum...I still cringe, it wasn't a case of (just) being loud and obnoxious it was the general insulting of the country they were in or (as you said) saying how better it was back home...

I have only been to USA the once, for about two weeks and I never ever met a rude American, in fact I was simply blown away how warm and friendly everyone we met was...had a great time, can't wait to go back. I guess you get out of a country what you put into in to it while there.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:16:53 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
David, my friends from France always told me the same thing. Americans would walk up to people asking for information and were always very rude to people who didn't speak English. I've only been to Canada and Bermuda area myself where English is of course the main language, but I will read up on French & Italian before I go there. When I go to Japan I will just say Domo Arigato alot, unless Sean teaches me Japanese (if possible) and yes folks Sean does speak Japanese. I was dumbfounded when he was here at the warehouse one day and saw some Japanese writing on the back of a poster and said "Black Orpheus" (he didn't say the title right, but was close enough). I literally turned my head and asked "you can read that?!"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
I am sure this will stir up a hornet's nest but the fact is Charlie, the American tourist is generally not well thought of the world over, I would guess in particular in non-English speaking countries. That is not to say every country doesn't have its own a**holes tourist in someone else's country. I think it's the American tourist's treatment of service staff and country comparisons where it stems from.

Some years ago I was learning Italian so I could travel through Italy for a month - I thought it would be polite to have at least a smattering of their (beautiful) language - our teacher said that when we get their we were to slip in asap that we were from Australia as Americans were not well liked as tourist. I saw why first hand in two restaurants, on a train and at The Colosseum...I still cringe, it wasn't a case of (just) being loud and obnoxious it was the general insulting of the country they were in or (as you said) saying how better it was back home...

I have only been to USA the once, for about two weeks and I never ever met a rude American, in fact I was simply blown away how warm and friendly everyone we met was...had a great time, can't wait to go back. I guess you get out of a country what you put into in to it while there.

This is why America wins:

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »
Wins What?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »

It really is unfortunate about the effect the few 'ugly American' tourists have had on the perception of Americans abroad.
We love foreigners because Americans are all peoples.
We are Australians, Italians, Irish and African.
Germans, Argentinians, Mexicans and Swedes.
There isn't a nationality on earth that isn't represented in America in large numbers.
As a result (I believe) over here, we tend to think of all foreign visitors as people from the homeland(s) and we generally treat them with courtesy and respect.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
It really is unfortunate about the effect the few 'ugly American' tourists have had on the perception of Americans abroad.
There isn't a nationality on earth that isn't represented in America in large numbers.
As a result (I believe) over here, we tend to think of all foreign visitors as people from the homeland(s) and we generally treat them with courtesy and respect.

So true, Ted.. so true...

clap clap clap

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:55 AM »
What ugly American?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »
 laugh1

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

And No Brits…. eyeroll
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
And No Brits…. eyeroll

Hahahaha.
Didn't you hear?
We ran them out of here hundreds of years ago.
 wynk

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
Lol, Ted.
You just remember you Americans - if it wasn't for us Brits you wouldn't have the country you live in now! :P
It would be all ours - ALL OURS I TELL YOU!!!! rofl1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
Yes, you're right. 
But we'd all be talking German.  wynk

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »
This is why America wins:

Posters for American films make great blankets!

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
Posters for American films make great blankets!

I reckon a lenticular would be great in winter

Mirosae

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »

Agree. I have seen this over and over again in many countries, including Spain, France Italy and Germany. These are the tourists complaining because the locals cannot speak English, and speaking louder and louder  as if the non English speakers locals were deaf. But it is also true that I have met lots of US tourists that really cared about the history, politics, art etc and who seemed very genuine and well mannered. So i guess you can find all sorts. The rude ones are more obvious for the obvious reasons....

That said, when i am in the US it never fails to surprise me how kind, warm, generous and yes, polite everyone is.  I was in the US last week and I had the same experience, very friendly people, very chatty, they are good fun to be around... Though apparently I look ''very'' Italian to them -what4ever that means...not Spanish...oh well.. no one is perfect..

:)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Best thing about UK:  HEART ATTACK BREAKFAST PLATE!!!

Mirosae

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
You forgot the tea.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
And someone scorched the bangers.

;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:03:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff