Author Topic: US Half Sheets  (Read 19427 times)

Pancho

US Half Sheets
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
Happy Holidays poster fans!

Apart from daybills I like to collect US half sheets. They're a great size to store and display in A1 folders so they don't end up hidden away like my one sheets.

Anyhoo...

I'm wondering if anyone has information as to why only certain films appear to have half sheets? Where do they sit in the pecking order - is a film more likely to have an insert or a half sheet? My assumption is that when the film companies decide on a marketing campaign for a particular film, they make the call as to what styles of poster that film will have. However it still seems so patchwork - for example why is there no 'Halloween' half sheet, but there is a half sheet for 'The Fan' and 'Road Games'?

It seems a dark corner in collecting; are there other half sheet fans out there??

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: US Half Sheets
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »

Apart from daybills I like to collect US half sheets. They're a great size to store and display in A1 folders so they don't end up hidden away like my one sheets.

Anyhoo...

I'm wondering if anyone has information as to why only certain films appear to have half sheets? Where do they sit in the pecking order - is a film more likely to have an insert or a half sheet? My assumption is that when the film companies decide on a marketing campaign for a particular film, they make the call as to what styles of poster that film will have. However it still seems so patchwork - for example why is there no 'Halloween' half sheet, but there is a half sheet for 'The Fan' and 'Road Games'?

It seems a dark corner in collecting; are there other half sheet fans out there??

I appreciate half sheets.  They are like jumbo title lobby cards!  And 22X28 frames can actually be found rather easily vs. most other sizes
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
I appreciate half sheets.  They are like jumbo title lobby cards!  And 22X28 frames can actually be found rather easily vs. most other sizes

Yes!....The size and paper do suggest that they are giant lobby cards. Twice a lobby while not half a one sheet.

I like em too.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

Anyhoo...

Half sheets and inserts were being phased out, and they WERE made for some films and not others. And in the last few years of them, they are a zillion times more rare than the one-sheets.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »

Anyhoo...

I like your philosophy about not "hiding away" your posters.  Good for you.

I'm not a huge fan of half sheets because, like many quads, they were after-thoughts to the one sheet design and often the vertical one sheet design is awkwardly squeezed into a horizontal format.

They stopped making them in 1985.  The Heritage database is pretty good for checking out the last years of the half sheets:

1985 half sheets

1984 half sheets

1983 half sheets

1982 half sheets

1981 half sheets

1980 half sheets
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:04:45 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
^ I support Kung-Fu.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »
Mel, the best place to find research on what are the final years of half sheets, and even what are candidates for being the very last half sheet and insert, is LAMP

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com

it is difficult to navigate and a quick look didn't help me to find the page, but I also wasn't signed in and don't see the full menu

for anyone wanting actual historical information on a wide variety of poster subjects, you can't beat the LAMP database

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »
I collect a lot of half sheets (and inserts).  Mel wouldn't let his smelliest dog sit on one, so that keeps the prices down on good titles.  I guess I am just cheap, because I also like the fact that I can buy a frame for under $20 on sale.  They fit nicely into spots where other stuff doesn't fit, and you can display a larger variety of material.
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »
Good for you. I too appreciate HS. And there are some instances where I find them more appealing that the US OS. For example What happened one night, the HSs are really charming and capture the essence of the film better (personal taste). Or Searchers HS which is sooo much better that the us os, but that said, as some of my friends know, I am totally obssesed with this one.

So HS are coooooooolio

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Incidentally - has anyone ever found an insert sized frame (14x36) for sale anywhere other than by special order?
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Incidentally - has anyone ever found an insert sized frame (14x36) for sale anywhere other than by special order?

nope.  But you can buy the rails cheap and cut plexi and foamcore.  Total price ends up being only a bit less than just buying it from Hollywood poster frame or spotlight. I've done it, but it isn't worth the bother IMO.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
nope.  But you can buy the rails cheap and cut plexi and foamcore.  Total price ends up being only a bit less than just buying it from Hollywood poster frame or spotlight. I've done it, but it isn't worth the bother IMO.

This is what I suspected - thanks.
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »

Sue Heim of Hollywood Poster Frames. They are cheap and well made and she ships to my house in great boxes. I have a bunch of them on my walls.

She is super nice and helpful, too!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
LAMP is in need of a major overhaul. I feel like I am surfing those sites made from Geocities back in 1997.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 02:04:10 AM »
LAMP is in need of a major overhaul. I feel like I am surfing those sites made from Geocities back in 1997.

agreed

I will say the membership portion is partially redone and more easily navigated

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 02:46:09 AM »
Sue Heim of Hollywood Poster Frames. They are cheap and well made and she ships to my house in great boxes. I have a bunch of them on my walls.

She is super nice and helpful, too!

She is all that! A VERY welcome change of pace from the know it all clown car.

I currently have 27 frames hanging and two on the floor in this room that I bought from her.

Cannot go wrong!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 07:09:27 PM »
Rolled HS for Lord of the Rings (1978)

Art by Tom Jung

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:16:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
Kitty Foyle (1940)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »
Kitty Foyle (1940)

Brunette!  I didn't recognize Ms. Rogers.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
Brunette!  I didn't recognize Ms. Rogers.  Okie

Talking her back to her roots...... (pun intended, okie) ;)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
Talking her back to her roots...... (pun intended, okie) ;)

Good one, Jeff! To quote the poster, "The natural history of a woman", eh?   Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »
Good one, Jeff! To quote the poster, "The natural history of a woman", eh?   Okie

Seems so, Okie. Im sure no one ever thought of it that way when they came up with the tag line.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Death on the Nile (1978)

Art by Richard Amsel

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Death on the Nile (1978)

Art by Richard Amsel

Cool design, Jeff.  I wonder what size the original Amsel art is for this image?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
Cool design, Jeff. I wonder what size the original Amsel art is for this image? Okie

It was also used on the one sheet, so maybe painted for that scale.

-Jeff