Author Topic: Maud Adam sig - is it real?  (Read 7380 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Maud Adam sig - is it real?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
come on now folks.. don't any of you have opinions on the remaining items I showed.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
come on now folks.. don't any of you have opinions on the remaining items I showed.

I believe this is a fake post

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3226729

This is considered to be one of the most common of Stewart's 'fakes' and buyer's are warned... http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/james-stewart-mueller-coa?commentId=3524372%3AComment%3A425955

Kind of remarkable that the same signed photograph (but different) was up for auction just a few months ago, same pen choices too (Harvey has gotta be black, every single time). Although the one being auctioned now has been consigned by another long time dealer/collector who 'feels certain' it's legit, so that's good enough to dump on to unsuspecting bidders it seems. Do a search on James Stewart Havey Signature (then click the images in the results) - oh boy...

FYI: James Stewart was known to use an autopen (autographing machine) after his first heart attack, although I am not suggesting this is autopen

Tips that an Autopen may have been used

- a shaky signature, which indicates movement while the machine is in operation
- a light signature, especially one that does not have variation in pressure as seen by an indentation in the paper when viewed in the proper light
- abrupt pen stops
- a “drawn” look to the signature

Brigitte Bardot next...my most fun research yet (the photos not the autographs).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:58:09 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 01:42:02 AM »
I can't say this one was the most labourious researches ever conducted...there's some eye candy to to go with the comparison of this signature:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3226982

See my examples below

It was a difficult one to research but the one above has one thing different from all the sigs I researched, the "a" in Bardot does not look like an 'a' more like a loop (except the one identified as a fake). I also feel the one to the right of the main one may be fake too, check out how she finishes off her last 't' on all others. Anyway, this is yet another from the famous collection of autographed stills that were collected by Leonard Sorgi and then sold to the consignor; good old Leo, seems to have done very well for himself. On a positive note both consignor and auction house 'feel' it genuine, so that in itself is a COA right there and good enough reason to pass it on the bidding public.

Fortunately it's almost Christmas and it will unlikely make it as a gift that may years later prove to be a fake, should be a great reminder of a wonderful family moment past...

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:50:16 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »
Just posted on Mopo, and I quote:

"...So, to make certain that we only have satisfied buyers, we will give anyone who purchases any of these a 30 day return privilege (from the date the auction closes) on any of these autographed items, and of course, that gives every buyer plenty of time to be 100% certain that they have purchased a genuine autograph!

Of course, we don't want people returning items because they "changed their minds", and it is vital that any returned items must be returned safely (ideally in the same packing) and received in the exact same condition it was sent, and the return offer will expire exactly 30 days after the auction closes (because we must pay our consignors, and there will be no exceptions)."

Given that "30 day return" term was removed only a few days ago from the actual item description in the auction are you now saying that it is in fact reinstated but you are no longer are telling people during the auction? The 'no exceptions rule' means that if any items you have auctioned are proved to be fake you will not credit it but you offer a lifetime warranty on the authenticity of any posters auctioned?
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Well I can tell you that the Endless Summer one sheet poster  I consigned is legit and was signed by John Van Hamersveld since I bought it from him directly from his website.  I paid $100 and it's only selling for $23 now, so it's quite a bargain - cheesy promo here admittedly ;)

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3226888

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:52:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
yeah.. cheesy promo
 :P

I posted to another thread
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,17.0.html

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Well I can tell you that the Endless Summer one sheet poster  I consigned is legit and was signed by John Van Hamersveld since I bought it from him directly.  I paid $100 and it's only selling for $23 now, so it's quite a bargain - cheesy promo here admittedly ;)

Indeed, but got one...
David

Bruce

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Just posted on Mopo, and I quote:

"...So, to make certain that we only have satisfied buyers, we will give anyone who purchases any of these a 30 day return privilege (from the date the auction closes) on any of these autographed items, and of course, that gives every buyer plenty of time to be 100% certain that they have purchased a genuine autograph!

Of course, we don't want people returning items because they "changed their minds", and it is vital that any returned items must be returned safely (ideally in the same packing) and received in the exact same condition it was sent, and the return offer will expire exactly 30 days after the auction closes (because we must pay our consignors, and there will be no exceptions)."

Given that "30 day return" term was removed only a few days ago from the actual item description in the auction are you now saying that it is in fact reinstated but you are no longer are telling people during the auction? The 'no exceptions rule' means that if any items you have auctioned are proved to be fake you will not credit it but you offer a lifetime warranty on the authenticity of any posters auctioned?

If you want to talk in a troll-free environment (because I refuse to interact with trolls), then start a thread about this in the "Dealer's Forum", and I will explain (and you are incorrect in what you write above).

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
I am not going to take it 'outside', this thread started innocently enough when I questioned two autographs, the questioning of which was also agreed with by others, more expert than me - the only answer given was effectively 'you get 30 days to check out whether they are real or not'. That 'guarantee' was then questioned by someone else and almost immediately that statement was then removed from the items being auctioned. However in today's post on MoPO it re-appears as a covering statement - which bit is wrong?

Do I think you have knowingly auctioned possibly fake autographs? Absolutely not. But do I think you have done not enough to ensure their authenticity? Absolutely, and that is why I continue to post - I think it is poor form based on how you have built your brand. Given you bust your proverbials to try an ensure every poster is authentic I just can't see why you simply go on the word of the consignor when it has come to autographs and to top it off simply pass off a query by offering a lesser a guarantee than standard.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:06:52 PM by Silhouette »
David

Bruce

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
You are wrong. The 30 day check period is exactly the same as it always was. If you think you saw it somewhere, and it is no longer there, it is because it was never there in the first place. Where is this place where you think you saw it?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »
So the client has 30 days to get the signature checked and make a claim ONLY where it is written (eg I believe the Elvis sig) and for all others (where it is not written) they get a lifetime guarantee?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:16:42 PM by Silhouette »
David

Bruce

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
No. The 30 day part could not be put on the auctions due to space limitations set by auction anything (our host). It was never on any of the auctions, so if you think you saw it there and then later saw that it wasn't there, you were hallucinating. I DID put a brief mention of it on a few auctions like the Elvis one, but that stayed as it was the entire auction.

The 30 day part DID and still does appear here:
http://www.emovieposter.com/auctions/special.php?id=20131215

This is a link on EVERY auction, from a button that says "About This Set of Auctions".

Since I knew a lot of people would not click on that, I also emailed it to EVERY registered bidder.

When the auctions end, I email it to EVERY high bidder.

So that is three ways they know it. They can then cancel any win if they want, or they can take 30 days to do so.

If you had ever emailed any of your concerns to us, we would have either canceled those items or added your information to the auctions, but you did not.

If you do before the 30 days are up, we will email the high bidders your new information and offer to cancel.

I know it is hard for you to believe, but many times we have emailed high bidders that an item is likely fake, and they say, "I like it anyway" and they keep it.

I am not an autograph expert, and feel that many of them actually work on guesswork, as you do. I don't think COAs mean anything.

I run a very special kind of autograph auction, where I solely present what I know about how each was obtained, and give buyers 30 days to cancel. I make that incredibly clear.

Those like you who do not want to participate obviously should not.

And I DO pass along along submitted added info to the bidders (which you did not do).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:35:33 PM by Bruce »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
Fair enough.

The 'limited' guarantee you offer, given (as was stated before) all other reputable autograph resellers provide a lifetime guarantee, yet you are only prepared to put your name to a lifetime guarantee on ALL items except autographs? To a casual observer that smacks of you not being confident of their authenticity so wanting to cover yourself with a 30 days caveat.
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
You are wrong. The 30 day check period is exactly the same as it always was. If you think you saw it somewhere, and it is no longer there, it is because it was never there in the first place. Where is this place where you think you saw it?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:53:59 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Bruce

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
David,

I will of course ignore the troll post, but reply to yours above.

You said, "To a casual observer that smacks of you not being confident of their authenticity so wanting to cover yourself with a 30 days caveat."

My reply to that is that no, it "smacks of" NOT being an autograph expert, and distrusting many of the existing autograph experts.

I saw a 60 Minutes type segment on TV where an FBI lab guy walked around a sports memorabilia show and he said he could tell just from glancing that an easy half of the items were surely faked, and he said he would think that if he got them in a lab, maybe 90% would prove to be fake.

They also showed a guy from New York who sold COAs on just about anything for a hefty amount (maybe $50 or $100 per). They took some sports signed item he authenticated and showed it to experts who all agreed that it was fake, and they showed him that evidence, and he said "It looks good to me", and it was obvious he would authenticate ANYTHING.

I clearly post the rules, and those who don't like them don't bid. A few times I have had people try to return items after the 30 days, and of course I do so, but I tell them not to buy signed items again if they won't play by the clearly stated rules.

A high percentage of what I have is fine, anyway. Much of the few suspect items either goes for nothing, or I get emailed good convincing evidence (from a true expert, not a self-proclaimed one) and then I cancel the sale retroactively.

Like I said, simply email your concerns to us, and I will either cancel those sales or email your concerns to the high bidders.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
It's your business and how you run it is your business but if I built a house and said to the client I am not an expert renderer (stucco) so I will use a third party and instead of a 5 year guarantee I am going to give a 30 day guarantee but just on the render I am pretty sure I know what the client would say.

I have posted a number of examples that a reasonable eye would agree are worth further investigation, yet they continued to be auctioned because I have to email my query directly? Your response to my first two examples was the '30 days guarantee'. Pound of sh*t to a pinch of salt most people won't bother checking, and in reality if they do say "I like it anyway" (should tell them of yours or anyone else's concerns), would they have bid so high (or at all) if they had known beforehand or during? If you had said "Here's a Brigitte Bardot signature, it looks not much like all the other sigs we have seen out there but place your bid..." but no you sold it as the real deal and if the client comes back to you in 30 days, then you'll cover it.

I am not suggesting the Bardot is fake but geeze, you'd certainly question it before letting the hammer fall. There are examples I found where the exact same autographed item from you was re-auctioned/re-sold on eBay (they use your exact same wording too) - aren't you just perpetuating the problem by selling possible fakes?

You basically have built your entire business on a lifetime guarantee... but it seems except for autographs, and that's only because you are not an expert - well that's just not right. Why bother selling them is the obvious question. I know you have 30 mouths to feed but commercial needs aside, why sell something you admit may possibly be fake and/or not take every possible step to ensure it is not and at the very least offer the same guarantee you do on everything else?

David

Bruce

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
You basically have built your entire business on a lifetime guarantee

Where in the world did you get that from? I started the lifetime guarantee a couple of years ago, and sold around three quarters of a million items before that time.

Do I tell you to auction two items at a time? It IS my business, and I have not had any problems on the signed items, specifically because I am completely honest about the rules.

You have endless hours to do research and to attempt to make me look bad here, but you don't have the extra few minutes to cut and paste your results into one email? That is certainly disingenuous.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:41:06 PM by Bruce »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
Where in the world did you get that from? I started the lifetime guarantee a couple of years ago, and sold around three quarters of a million items before that time.

Do I tell you to auction two items at a time? It IS my business, and I have not had any problems on the signed items, specifically because I am completely honest about the rules.

You have endless hours to do research and to attempt to make me look bad here, but you don't have the extra few minutes to cut and paste your results into one email? That is certainly disingenuous.

Come on Bruce you're splitting hairs, when you started the guarantee doesn't matter, unless it is not retrospective. But I'll assume it is, so on that basis your entire business except autographs is now/has been built on the marketing strategy of a lifetime guarantee.

I have never attempted to make you look bad, I asked a question in the forum for 'experts' to answer, some said hmmm, you said '30 days' or if you are an expert email ("...if experts contact us while the auctions are running...") - I am not an expert. Frankly at anytime early in the piece you could have said, 'hey you could be right, we'll look into it' (why an email versus a forum post makes a difference in this case) but you let me post and you continued on with the auctions, and so I carried on posting because if you were not going to raise a red flag, I was prepared to.

(lol on the two item at a time auction comment)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:19:11 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 01:20:37 AM »
Can't we all just get along. Love one another. Big bear hugs all around now. Come on  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
okay Folks.. here are the answers to the remaining list of autographs I posted last week.

#13 Hattie McDaniel.... sadly, this is another Valley Forger work. first of all, Hattie's penmanship, while reasonable, was a bit messy and never as exacting as the signature here. Furthermore, you'll notice this is from the same autograph book that the Ray Bolger/Jack Haley autographs are on and if they are questionable, this can't be aby less questionable. But even more, though it looks like it was written years ago & has faded, it is in reality done with a type of paint pen that was not available until the 1970s.. So Verdict: FAKE

#14 Oliver Hardy.. FAKE! notice how the paper by the way is cornered to make it seem as if the autograph was removed from a book & cut in half.. This is a common procedure used by forgers to add another dimension to their fraud

#15 John Lennon and Yoko Ono... one way to tell fakes is when both signatures look as if the same person wrote them, which is what you can see here, with this FAKE

#16 Elvis signed record album.. so not only does the forger steal your money, he also ruins a collectible item when he puts this FAKE signature on this album...

#17 Cannonball Run cast signed poster. *sigh*
this is another example of what lots of the phony autograph sellers put over on the consumer. Look, the more autographs on an item, the less likely it is to be real. When some of the subjects are either what's called "non-cooperative" [don't sign much] or in the case of this poster, has several dead participants [they have an obvious difficulty scheduling signings] the chances that it is real get smaller & smaller. Whether there are any real autographs on this poster is meaningless when the main values, the Rat Pack autographs are complete and utter FAKES

#18 to the rest... with the exceptions noted below, everything there is 100% authentic and gotten in person by people I know or met.

the Mario Lanza is the only piece below that is from an odd collection but is a real enough autograph, but I don't know where it came from

and then we have just one other item: the Charlie Chaplin photo. This is an auto-pen signed item using a template for Chaplin's signature, circa 1920's

and David, no the Jane Russell item is not a fake. I went with a friend to the home of a former showgirl here in Vegas about 10 years ago and she had signed photos all over the home from all the entertainers she worked with or knew. There were great signed items by Sinatra & the rest of the Rat Pack, many movie stars she performed for, comedians, circus performers.. all kinds of people. My friend was buying the collection (she was ill & needed the money for medical expenses) and I bought a few including this one and an Abbott & Costello with Martha Raye. The showgirls is of course the Lee the photo is inscribed to.

and to be sure, unlike other people, when I finally sell this stuff and lots more, I 100% guarantee that everything is 100% authentic FOR LIFE, or at least as long as I'm alive and in business. I certainly will never sell an autograph I even suspect can be questionable - as should all dealers, not just myself.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 05:13:14 AM »
har har har.

someone emails me today and asks "do you ever get Three Stooges autographs?"

I reply "do you want authentic or fake?"

his reply "how much of a price difference is there?"

har har har.....

laugh1

-------