Author Topic: Kerry Haggard has been arrested for Fraud by the FBI  (Read 21519 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Kerry Haggard has been arrested for Fraud by the FBI
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 01:19:48 AM »
why they don't bust people who sell bootlegs?

well here's the deal, in the case of Haggard, there were not so many victims - in the dozens - and some were taken for large sums of money or trade
Jim Gresham, being an enormous victim gives the FBI reason & the ability to pursue a case that can result in a conviction

on the other hand, in the case of bootlegs, what you have are hundreds or thousands of people who were cheated, but for small sums.
also, because the FBI would not have a database of posters for paper quality, thickness etc, it's a much more difficult case to pursue

Could Jaime provide these paper details, Rich?

I'm thinking yes...

>:D

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 05:25:17 AM »
Could Jaime provide these paper details, Rich?

I'm thinking yes...

>:D

it's a logistical issue. we've all seen what has happened at police & fbi labs, Jaime - who was not in a favorable position for the Haggard situation, would hardly have been any use to the FBI and it becomes an issue of logistics and liability

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:59 AM »
it's a logistical issue. we've all seen what has happened at police & fbi labs, Jaime - who was not in a favorable position for the Haggard situation, would hardly have been any use to the FBI and it becomes an issue of logistics and liability

I see what you mean, Rich, but Mendez was the artist - he was the one who physically created these fakes and "put them" together. Haggard was the peddler who was like another carnival barker, selling his wares, to trusting collectors, who had bought from him in the past.

Who else could have given the degree of detail (as far as the creation of the fakes went) to authorities?

Mendez was the creator (no Star Trek pun intended).  ;D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:57:31 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
get the posters he must have hidden away and try to sell them maybe?

all I know is there are many posters he was traded that have not been seen in the market

so unless they were sold overseas or went into black hole collections where the people are not aware that item is illegally gotten gains, these posters have to be somewhere

Not challenging you Rich, I honestly want to understand the future implications for the hobby.  Are you saying...

1. There are likely legit posters traded to Haggard that have not been recovered as part of the seizures?  Importance: Haggard was hiding assets and he might try to sell or rebuild his collection with them after getting out of jail? 

2. There are likely fakes still in the wild that are known because of Mendez, but that were never recovered? 

3. There are likely fakes still in the wild that are unknown, either because Mendez wasn't totally forthcoming or because Haggard possibly worked with additional "restorers"?

Either way with 2 or 3: The importance being that people who own these presumably are unaware they are fake.  If and when they finally surface could Haggard be charged again for those 'new' crimes?  What is the statue of limitations?

this of course also presumes that they are not in collections where the owner do indeed know, but I'd like to consider we don't have those kind of assholes in this hobby.

Are you saying people might knowingly own Haggard fakes and didn't come forward?  Your "asshole" implication being that these people might think they can swindle someone else down the road with them? 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
yes

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
and I believe his probation is 3 years (?) and he must serve his probation in NY State, so he can't leave NY until 2019

Yup... according to this Athens, GA article from 2012: http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2012-04-10/commerce-man-sentenced-forging-horror-movie-posters

"In addition to the prison term, McMahon sentenced Haggard to three years of supervised release, imposed a $1.38 million forfeiture judgment, imposed a restitution order for $1.38 million, and ordered him to pay a $100 special assessment fee."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:19:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
That $100 special assessment fee must have really made Kerry think twice about ever pulling the same scheme again...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
So it seems that Haggard is still serving his sentence? I just did a Google search, and the various reports from back when he was sentenced in 2012, say that he would be serving 6+ years. I didnt know if he might have gotten out before the full sentence, based on good behaviour or artistic merit.   dontknow.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
So it seems that Haggard is still serving his sentence? I just did a Google search, and the various reports from back when he was sentenced in 2012, say that he would be serving 6+ years. I didnt know if he might have gotten out before the full sentence, based on good behaviour or artistic merit.   dontknow.gif

he got out in November

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 10:59:13 PM »
he got out in November

Did he go back to Georgia? Any idea?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 01:09:34 AM »
Did he go back to Georgia? Any idea?

he may be in NY

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 01:25:38 AM »
Myabe he learned the art of license plate making over those years and will be offering custom mades with movie poster backgrounds.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
Posting this here, too, as a sort of one of the endings to the story. I posted  a fuller description up in the Upcoming Poster Events thread, (http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1538.msg222342.html#msg222342) but 24 items that were recovered by the FBI in the Haggard scandal are being put up for auction in July by the US Marshals Service:

https://www.txauction.com/auctions/102

It seems fitting to mention it in this thread, too. Proceeds from this sale will be split among the 30 or so victims of this terrible fraud scheme that Haggard cooked up. So there will be at least some light shed at the end of this long and dark tunnel. clap clap

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:53:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
And where is Haggard now? Back in his hometown of Commerce, GA, saying he works and deals with automobiles. Maybe he learned these skills while in prison. imbecile.gif

Here's his his Facebook page. https://m.facebook.com/kerry.haggard.9

And take special note of his introduction:

"Mastermind of the greatest movie poster scandal in American history."    eyeroll

And it seems he still must like movie posters, too, as this "endearing" photo shows. 

Note he's parked in a Handicapped space in this shot.  whistle.gif

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:00:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 04:06:38 AM »
I wonder who the chunker woman is? His ex-wife divorced him in 2009....