Author Topic: Kerry Haggard has been arrested for Fraud by the FBI  (Read 21782 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Kerry Haggard has been arrested for Fraud by the FBI
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »
that's all I know so far aside from he bonded out with $100k bond from his mother

the long arm opf the law works slowly, but sometimes it really works

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Kerry Haggard has been arrested for Fraud by the FBI
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »
I laughed my ass off when I read this from an April 15, 2010 article in the Athens (Ga) Banner-Herald posted on MoPo: "They (Kerry & Tiffany Haggard) also claim that some of the posters that Kerry Haggard sold or traded to Gresham originally came from Gresham's collection, and that their customers should have never taken their word that the posters were authentic because they knew more about posters than the Commerce (Ga) couple did."

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:05:44 PM »
April 28, 2010, 4:27 pm
Georgia Man Arrested in Sale of Fake Movie Posters
By MICHAEL CIEPLY

A counterfeiting scandal that been rocking the close-knit world of movie poster collectors grew more serious on Wednesday, as federal authorities arrested Kerry T. Haggard, a Georgia-based dealer, on mail fraud charges related to the sale of fake horror-movie posters and lobby cards.

Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in a newly unsealed criminal complaint that Mr. Haggard defrauded buyers of at least $1 million by using eBay to sell fake promotional materials for movies like “Frankenstein,” “Son of Frankeinstein,” and “The Mummy’s Hand.”

Mr. Haggard was arrested in Georgia, but the charges were filed in New York, where the fake materials were printed, according to the U.S. attorney’s office. Last year, Mr. Haggard was sued for selling allegedly fake promotional materials, but said in an email to The Times that he was a victim of a “colossal frame-up.” Mr. Haggard could not be reached on Wednesday.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
Now the hobby just needs a conviction followed soon thereafter by a complete disclosure...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
I wonder who, will be the prosecutors expert on the fact they are indeed fakes? also , how can you prove, he didn't send real ones, and the purchaser/s made the fakes? Not that I am on his side, I just throw it out there (and yes I watch to many crime movies)

As a real life example, in OZ years back, a man was charged with making fake rare stamps (and coins, but thats another story) anyway, he was bought to trial, he claimed they were real, the prosecutor said fake. Experts were bought in, and eventually the judge asked WHO IN AUSTRALIA IS THE BEST EXPERT TO DECIDE IF THESE ARE REAL OR FAKE?
well after investigating, the answer, the DEFENDANT.
Case closed.

(he did go away for the coins though - and got a book written about him)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
I believe Jamie Mendez turned state's evidence and is working with the prosecution in at least one of the lawsuits, according to the Banner-Herald article: "Since the filing of the first suit, Mendez has testified in a Michigan courtroom that he had helped the Haggards create the counterfeit posters."

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
Angelo is correct. He also identified in court posters that he forged at Kerry's request. meaning they held up a poster & the lawyer asked "can you identify this poster" and jaime answered "yes I made that poster blah blah blah"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
I asked the FBI guy Ari's question, and he said, "That is why it is so valuable that 25 people were ripped off in the same way."

"If ONE guy says he was ripped off, and Haggard says he is lying" it is his word against the other guy.

But in this case, for Haggard to be telling the truth, 25 unrelated people have to ALL be lying, and there's almost no chance a judge or jury will buy that.

This guy did more damage to the hobby than the next ten people combined, and whatever he gets won't be enough.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »
(edit - thanks Bruce - and I agree)

aha, its tricky then aint it? Jaime admitting to making, but surely its not a chargable offence, unless the copyrite owners want to press charges, so Jaime I assume is/has not done anything legally wrong, morally, if he knew they were being made for a certian scam, or guessed and turned a blind eye, or it never clicked.
I dont know.
its very complicated and we can only guess.
So when he (Jaime) confessed, he said I CONFESS TO MAKING FORGERIES? or I Confess to making the posters?
Again not defending, but seems like it is a slippery slope, as in, I go to kinkos on behalf of a friend and photocopy a lobby card or WHATEVER, and he pays me for my time, then sells it (I know this was more involved), the person who sells it, and paid for the work to be done, is of course being fraudulant, the person doing the work, I think its a grey area? (Im not a lawyer) is there a law that says, if you know a fraud is being made, I must report, or at least refuse service? Probably, or possibly.

I know we turn away customers, we suspect are being dodgy, so far as I know its company policy rather than law, but I could be wrong.

Again, not sticking up for anyone, just curious.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
Jaime Mendez could've argued not having knowledge that the "copies" he did for Haggard were being sold as originals, except that he did multiple copies of the same LCs, for example.  Hard to argue that he (Mendez) was oblivious to some kind of chicanery going on when he's knocking out multiple copies of rare MP.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
It's hard to believe this initial arrest was almost 4 years ago, already.

Time flies, when having fun (or even when not).  ;D

And his release date was posted to MOPO, back in December, courtesy of Jim Gresham:

"Hey poster hobby, for those who are familiar with the Kerry Haggard case, Nov 26, 2016 is Haggard's release date!"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:39:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

And his release date was posted to MOPO, back in December, courtesy of Jim Gresham:

"Hey poster hobby, for those who are familiar with the Kerry Haggard case, Nov 26, 2016 is Haggard's release date!"

and I believe his probation is 3 years (?) and he must serve his probation in NY State, so he can't leave NY until 2019

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
Here are a set of lobby cards and movie posters...

incredibly, nobody realized these were fake Haggards (as opposed to Haggard fakes)
I wound up with a couple dozen different that people who got stung sent me. I'll get them up as I have more time
sure would like to know who made these fakes  ;)

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
he appears to be enjoying himself so much

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Here are a set of lobby cards and movie posters...

incredibly, nobody realized these were fake Haggards
(as opposed to Haggard fakes)
I wound up with a couple dozen different that people who got stung sent me. I'll get them up as I have more time
sure would like to know who made these fakes  ;)

Sometimes, the real vs fake tip offs can be subtle and understated... even when red lipstick is worn... LOL

qip

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:52:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
and I believe his probation is 3 years (?) and he must serve his probation in NY State, so he can't leave NY until 2019

Uh oh!!

Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
how appropriate.. lol

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »

I wonder what Haggard will do on his first day of freedom, later this year.  pcorn

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
I wonder what Haggard will do on his first day of freedom, later this year.  pcorn

get the posters he must have hidden away and try to sell them maybe?

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
get the posters he must have hidden away and try to sell them maybe?

Think that Jaime is holding any of them for him?  gun1

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
Think that Jaime is holding any of them for him?  gun1

doubtful

all I know is there are many posters he was traded that have not been seen in the market

so unless they were sold overseas or went into black hole collections where the people are not aware that item is illegally gotten gains, these posters have to be somewhere

this of course also presumes that they are not in collections where the owner do indeed know, but I'd like to consider we don't have those kind of assholes in this hobby.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
doubtful

all I know is there are many posters he was traded that have not been seen in the market

so unless they were sold overseas or went into black hole collections where the people are not aware that item is illegally gotten gains, these posters have to be somewhere

this of course also presumes that they are not in collections where the owner do indeed know, but I'd like to consider we don't have those kind of assholes in this hobby.

I know. Was just jiving.

Im sure the last thing he wants is for anyone to even ask or associate his talent and artistry to this former scheme.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
I know. Was just jiving.

Im sure the last thing he wants is for anyone to even ask or associate his talent and artistry to this former scheme.

uh.. yeah!

-------

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 12:26:36 AM »
If they can bust him why can't they bust Loce?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 01:13:57 AM »
why they don't bust people who sell bootlegs?

well here's the deal, in the case of Haggard, there were not so many victims - in the dozens - and some were taken for large sums of money or trade
Jim Gresham, being an enormous victim gives the FBI reason & the ability to pursue a case that can result in a conviction

on the other hand, in the case of bootlegs, what you have are hundreds or thousands of people who were cheated, but for small sums.
also, because the FBI would not have a database of posters for paper quality, thickness etc, it's a much more difficult case to pursue

-------