Author Topic: What size are collectible tv and video release posters?  (Read 7766 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
What size are collectible tv and video release posters?
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
It's occurred to me that the only tv posters and other ad posters, like HBO, Showtime and video release posters, that I tend to collect are 27 x40 in size.  The assumption that I've made is that anything less than that - typically 24x36, is a commercial release poster.  

Would you generally agree that the collectible versions of other posters like these are limited to 27x40, presuming that they are so sized for use in the movie theater for advertising to fit standard 27x40 displays, as well as in other venues.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Re: What size are collectible tv and video release posters?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
In my experience of collecting video posters, they come in all shapes and sizes. I think in the US they tend to be 1-sheets but in the UK they tend to vary. I think 27x40 may be the norm now and it does make them more collectable, but I do have some odd shaped US posters too.

Through the Stones

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but didn't know if there was a semi-solid consensus on this?  It seems that most of our posters here at Starz are in the neighborhood of 27x40 but then again, I have seen a bunch of different types of them as well.  For instance, we have a bunch of posters that also serve as ads for other shows that they put on the bottom of the poster and they do seem to be smaller than a one-sheet.  I'll try and run around the building and take some pics if anyone's interested, maybe I'll grab a tape measure too. 

Mel, you seem to have picked up a few TV posters lately are they 27x40?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
Tough to say.  I think Holiday and I recently have been buying TV posters from the same seller on Ebay who is selling 27x40s that were sent directly to TV stations. I also assume that some 27x40s are printed and displayed in shopping malls and the like.  Bus shelter size posters for TV shows seem more common.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:19:20 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
In my experience of collecting video posters, they come in all shapes and sizes. I think in the US they tend to be 1-sheets but in the UK they tend to vary. I think 27x40 may be the norm now and it does make them more collectable, but I do have some odd shaped US posters too.

The Video posters I've picked up from the UK are much smaller...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
Well for Australia, I've got ranging from A4 size up to over six feet tall. And everything in between, these days most seem about 27x40, never seen one I store in a frame though. Sticky tape or blue tack is as fancy as it gets.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
The Video posters I've picked up from the UK are much smaller...

Yes and No, in the U.K. they start quite small, almost a flyer in size, going up to in a huge variety of sizes to 1sht, Quad sizes and bigger, as there's quite a lot of bus stop posters that advertise T.V. and Video release's. Also, I've seen many bill boards with T.V. shows and DVD releases on. So expect sizes to be all over the place for U.K. posters.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
As a recently recognised world expert on Video/DVD/TV posters  :-\  ;D I concur that they are all different, most of the ones I have seem to be in the 27 x 40 range +/- an inch...and what's an inch between friends huh? I thought Ari was just joshing about the six foot one, but nope - I just unwrapped a near on 6ft School of Rock poster.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:52:13 PM by Silhouette »
David