Author Topic: Wanted: Halloween ('78) US 1SH rolled.  (Read 9216 times)

scour

Wanted: Halloween ('78) US 1SH rolled.
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
Looking for one in vf - m condition.  Please hit me up if you can help me out.  I got cash.  Just shoot me a PM or post here with what you have and how much you want and maybe we can work something out. 

thanks

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Wanted: Halloween ('78) US 1SH rolled.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Good luck in your search and welcome1 to the forum. Being this time of year I don't know if you will get someone to sell theirs unless they have an extra one. But good luck to you.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
Welcome, scour!  :D

I will keep my eyes peeled for you, too!

Jeff

-Jeff

scour

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »
thanks guys. 
i'm new to the one sheet community but have been in the screen print community for quite some time.  seems this place is pretty quiet.  i'm used to all the commotion over on expressobeans.  any insight or help you guys could provide is much appreciated. 

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
I have a few screen prints but focus mainly on movie posters. Thinking about selling the prints I do have and buying more frames. But I will keep my eyes peeled for you. Also emovieposter.com has there Halloween major auctions coming up you might find one in there auctions.

scour

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
^ thanks for looking out.  i have been checking and will check emovieposter.com and ha.com  i saw that emovieposter has a huge halloween auction(s) coming up and i'm keeping my fingers crossed.   :)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Good luck to you. Finding a rolled one is going to be tough as I am sure you know posters back them were sent folded to theaters. But there are some that do pop up for auction.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
i'm new to the one sheet community but have been in the screen print community for quite some time.

Welcome Scour.  A few of us also collect movie prints.  I own a few, so do a few other members.  Some of them post on EB.  I don't.

Re: Halloween, it's a tough one.  Rolled posters from the 70s are quite rare.  They do exist (most of them were printed for studio execs), but the vast majority, like 99%, were folded and sent to theaters along with film reels.  If the folds really bother you, you can also buy a mint folded copy and have it linenbacked to remove the folds.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

scour

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks for all the insight guys.  i know it will be tough tracking one down but i figured i would try. 

not really sure how i feel about linen backing.  i just know i would never alter a screen print but the one sheet community seems to have mixed reviews on it.  overall how does linen-backing affect the value of a poster? 

for example what's the difference in taking a:

1.  vf condition poster and then linen-baking it
2.  pretty creased up poster and then linen backing / very minor restoration to look good

ultimately you end with the same end product right?  this is the part that confuses me about linen-backing. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Personally, I would NEVER buy a linenbacked poster.  People like Dario can rebuild a poster from scratch, so you really never know what you're buying and how damaged the poster was prior to restoration.  I have linenbacked a handful of my posters because they were in poor condition and I knew I could never find a better copy.  Obviously, I knew exactly what the defects were prior to linenbacking. 

Some people hate folds and will only buy linenbacked posters.  Checks Bruce's auctions of linenbacked stuff.  It's all personal, but folds do not bother me, they bring cachet to a poster.

The reason I suggested you buy a mint folded copy of Halloween is that it will have the least amount of restoration, just on the folds.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

not really sure how i feel about linen backing.  i just know i would never alter a screen print but the one sheet community seems to have mixed reviews on it.  overall how does linen-backing affect the value of a poster? 

Welcome, welcome!

But please know we are so much more than a one sheet community here
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
thanks for all the insight guys.  i know it will be tough tracking one down but i figured i would try. 

for example what's the difference in taking a:

1.  vf condition poster and then linen-baking it
2.  pretty creased up poster and then linen backing / very minor restoration to look good

ultimately you end with the same end product right?  this is the part that confuses me about linen-backing. 

Hey Scour,

a couple other threads that discussed linen backing, you might want to check out:  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2800.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1825.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4210.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,255.0.html

-Jeff

scour

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
Welcome, welcome!

But please know we are so much more than a one sheet community here

no disrespect meant in anyway!  i guess i could use the word movie poster community? 

scour

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
Hey Scour,

a couple other threads that discussed linen backing, you might want to check out:  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2800.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1825.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4210.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,255.0.html

thanks for the links.  i have read through a lot of those.  i am just confused about it still namely this: 

overall how does linen-backing affect the value of a poster?

for example what's the difference in taking the exact same poster in different grades, say a:

1.  vf condition poster (costs $400) and then linen-baking it
2.  pretty creased up poster (costs $150) and then linen backing / very minor restoration to look good

Thank you all for all the input and willingness to help a newb!   cheers

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
It is very hard to determine how linen backing affects a poster's value.  Poster prices are all over the map and are dependent on who is offering, who is looking and how many have recently been sold.  I full believe the linen backing effect is lost in the noise.

Some folks hate it, some linen back everything and I believe the majority are in-between.  I personally believe, like Thierry that linen backing has its place, but to save posters that are damaged beyond all hope.  Most of my stuff has folds and minor tears, marks and pinholes.  I consider these battle scars part of the poster's heritage and I enjoy knowing that the poster I am displaying was hung in front of theaters during the movie's run.  A perfect poster loses that special feeling for me.

For example, one of my gems is a Bus Stop for the stage production of Grease.  My research showed that this particular poster most likely hung in the marquee of the Royal Theater while the play was there.  Certain markings narrow it down to a 9 week window when it was displayed.  Really cool in my mind.
-Jay-

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
I personally like them linen-backed and/or restored because when framed they sit better and look better. That said less than 10% of my nfs are linen backed and without exception all the posters I would like to display or are displayed are linen backed. There are others who say why restore/linen back a poster, you may as well buy a repro...I say, up yours you snob (did I miss that meeting where that rule was passed?).

There are also a couple in my collection (like Thierry says) that have been restored to save, not so much that they are valuable but why lose a piece of history? This is an example where this is possibly one of the last (if not the last) poster of this title, not an important title by any stretch (a nice poster however), and I would doubt I'd get my money back on the total investment but is that a reason not to save it? http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4517.msg127706.html#msg127706

All that said, with the exception of a couple I doubt I will lose money if and when I sell my posters whether linen backed/restored or not - but then I didn't buy them to sell.

So, to summarise...it's your poster do what you want but perhaps not financial reasons.

David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:47:53 AM »
For me, the few I have had backed were to preserve and conserve pieces that would have started to fall apart and deteriorate even further, due to age, acid in the paper starting to eat through folds, etc.

I don't mind seeing the small 'battle scars' on a poster; things like small holes, an occasional border ding or corner that long ago went missing are all a part of its life. And if a poster was issued folded, those don't really bother me, either (unless the poster was a more dark background and the severe folds and time have made it look like a checkerboard, then fold touch ups would make it more visually appealing).

It's all about doing what will make the poster owner the most happy, at the end of the day.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:49:44 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
Someone on mopo recently wrote about Halloween posters, one sheets to be specific, or US one sheets to be more specific as there is a few different versions, seems one of the versions is often rolled, the other two never, or rarely. Some discussion on exactly what they are and why.
Anyway, for me, I'd probably go for a folded one.
This isn't like your screen prints where they are made to be sold, these are and were made to be used, there's nothing wrong with a poster from this era folded as that's how they were meant to be.
I know some people don't like folds, but I actually hate rolled posters, they are a pain in the arse to handle.
But regardless, good luck, you'll find one, take your time and it will come along, they aren't raining from the sky, but it's also not really "rare".

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

scour

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
again, thanks for all the different opinions you guys provide.  i do need to realize that these are used theatrical movie posters and creases here and there / general wear due to their use is to be expected and they were not meant to be purchased (per se), after all they aren't screen-prints :P  i truly appreciate all the advice and willingness to help me out.

thanks      
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:54:42 AM by scour »

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »
Welcome, scour!  :D

I will keep my eyes peeled for you, too!

Jeff

Yes...bet those eyes....are good for Halloween -erhm... posters... ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
scour,

I might have a handle on a rolled copy. I'm waiting to hear back.

I will keep you posted.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
The paper sheen is different on the rolled versus the folded on the ones I have, but the rolled definitely feels correct.

scour

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
scour,

I might have a handle on a rolled copy. I'm waiting to hear back.

I will keep you posted.

Jeff

nice.  just keep me posted. 

scour

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
The paper sheen is different on the rolled versus the folded on the ones I have, but the rolled definitely feels correct.

is the NSS paragraph at the bottom of the rolled one stamped on or printed?  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:23:20 PM by scour »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
It is printed, and that is one of the big differences between the folded "green/blue" rating box and other versions and the rolled versions. That usually appears on the rolled versions and not on the folded.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:33:44 PM by ddilts399 »