Author Topic: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?  (Read 41914 times)

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
Re: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2014, 01:57:07 AM »
Anthony, part of your statement - the Monet to Dracula comment - actually doesn't quite work today.
Look to comics art collecting. The large majority of comic art collectors actually think that comic artists are better than easel artists and I have heard many exclaim that Todd McFarlane is better than Van Gogh. I'm sure there are many people who would prefer a Dracula poster to a Monet, though it is wrong headed

on million dollar price sales, except in a retail environment, you need at least 2 to Tango

That's kinda what I was getting at with the 'age' factor.More younger people have wealth,as we can see in this hobby and others as of late.They're buying,but buying more within their age.They're definitely going to favor Dracula or McFarlane over Monet.Artwork of a scary monster, or flowers.... :P
They loved comics when they were kids,Star Wars,Cars,but there's not many that loved 1930's Universal films/monsters.So,that means these new collectors with cash will have to discover past film stars,get hooked on them,or get hooked on posters.The odds of that happening to many wealthy people is low.

I believe some of these new millionaires have joined the hobby,but I'm not sure Universal is why they're here.Also,there's not alot of collectors in the hobby that like everything.So,if they come in likeing Star Wars will they spread to other genre's? Universal? Seems unlikely.There are very few posters that are ever gonna hit a million.It will happen eventually,but I'm not sure they'll be a bunch of new collectors making it happen.Being a poster collector takes special person...not everyone has that gift. ;) 

Bottom line,to Chris' point,there are many people who would prefer Dracula to Monet,but there's many more in the art world and high society alone that would have us shot for even thinking such a thing. ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
Bottom line,to Chris' point,there are many people who would prefer Dracula to Monet,but there's many more in the art world and high society alone that would have us shot for even thinking such a thing. ;)

Indeed and of course even the most 'valuable' movie posters and original comic art are but a pittance compared to the world of $100 million fine art

I don't really see how the two are even comparable...
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Chris and Rich are also touching on the edges of the generational collector issue.

Us old farts are starting to look at shedding our collections.  We will be dying off in larger numbers soon and this material will come on the market.  However, as noted, the people who are stepping up are not interested in westerns of the 40s.  They want Star Wars, Trek, John Hughes, 80s slasher, etc.

The value will continue to rise on this material, but frankly there is a lot of it around.  Probably enough to satisfy desire and keep prices in the hundreds to thousands range.

Early material was mostly destroyed, so a Dracula is really rare and desirable by people who know the movie.  Fewer of the younger collectors know or care about early Universal horror.

Taken together a $1M poster is becoming less likely.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »
good points

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
Still hoping.

For a cool $1.5 mil

Bride of Frank teaser, care of Todd F.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BRIDE-OF-FRANKENSTEIN-1935-KARLOFF-TEASER-ONE-SHEET-UNIVERSAL-HORROR-/380872610529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58adc6d2e1

Yes.. a mid auction topic, but is relevant here in that it also shows someone who has a couple pieces in their collection that have been priced at this number and beyond.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:42:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
Still hoping.

For a cool $1.5 mil

Bride of Frank teaser, care of Todd F.

Well if you're not going to sell a poster, better to not sell it at double your previous asking price.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
 ;D

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »
Chris and Rich are also touching on the edges of the generational collector issue.

Us old farts are starting to look at shedding our collections.  We will be dying off in larger numbers soon and this material will come on the market.  However, as noted, the people who are stepping up are not interested in westerns of the 40s.  They want Star Wars, Trek, John Hughes, 80s slasher, etc.

The value will continue to rise on this material, but frankly there is a lot of it around.  Probably enough to satisfy desire and keep prices in the hundreds to thousands range.

Early material was mostly destroyed, so a Dracula is really rare and desirable by people who know the movie.  Fewer of the younger collectors know or care about early Universal horror.

Taken together a $1M poster is becoming less likely.

So it sounds like what you are saying is: 

At the beginning and at the end, the market value of movie posters will always be pegged at the cost of attic insulation.  Less than 1% have the chance to become valuable in the interim.  :)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
 sm1
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »
So it sounds like what you are saying is: 

At the beginning and at the end, the market value of movie posters will always be pegged at the cost of attic insulation.  Less than 1% have the chance to become valuable in the interim.  :)

that is an interesting take and probably not far off for 99% of the material

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
that's the standard fee at that price level.

I know in the comics area, a friend of mine consigned a book that sold for over a million $ and made a special deal that he paid no fee and even got half of the BP!

so who has a million dollar poster?

Todd Feiertag?  ;D

Speaking of million dollar posters ... this thread ponders and debates that very idea.

So giving it a little  bump.gif  nice.thread

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
The half million+ mark reached not too long ago at HA - $525,800.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/dracula-universal-1931-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-a/a/7167-86267.s

But that next half mil climb to reach a $1M poster sale sure is a long way to go.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:14:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
But that next half mil climb to reach a $1M poster sale sure is a long way to go.

I would almost say if anything, we are even further away than before.
The old auction "record" has been broken three times by Heritage since this thread started, and a couple of the big money players have already left the hobby.
Even though Heritage passed the half million mark, it certainly seems like posters are falling even further behind the other hobbies - Comics have had multiple multi-million dollar sales, and now post-war baseball cards have seen a million dollar sale since this thread started.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2018, 04:03:45 AM »
I have to agree with Sean, that compared to other hobbies, movie posters lags behind by a considerable margin and we are unlikely to see a million dollar poster anytime soon. Though I don't think there is any question that when it happens, it is going to happen at Heritage

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
I wonder if in the right setting (HA or another very high profile auction house like Christies or Bonhams), with the 2 right bidders etc, if the only known 6 sheet from Frankenstein could be the first to break the million dollar mark?

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
with the 2 right bidders etc, if the only known 6 sheet from Frankenstein could be the first to break the million dollar mark?

With the right two bidders, anything can break the million dollar mark.
But it looks like there are less willing and able bidders right now who would do so then there have been in the past.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
With the right two bidders, anything can break the million dollar mark.
But it looks like there are less willing and able bidders right now who would do so then there have been in the past.

And in 4 days, might it happen?? You Never know....  whistle.gif
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:58:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »
https://www.sothebys.com/buy/8d77317d-24f4-42c3-9226-5dcb00b9ca26/lots/c69e7ab8-0905-4174-8255-0c3ca529107c

The Sotheby's Mummy failed to get its  starting bid (with BP) but I screen-shot its XXL image and patched together:

They confirmed it was subject to BP:

Maher, John
Oct 21, 2018, 10:16 AM
to me

Dear Mel,

Thank you so much for your note and for your interest in the Mummy poster. Your website is wonderful!

The Mummy poster auction is subject to buyer’s premium. The buyer’s premium schedule is 25% of the hammer price up to and including $300,000, 20% of any amounts in excess of $300,000 up to and including $4,000,000, and 12.9% of any amounts in excess of $4,000,000.

Thank you again for your interest, and please let me know of any other questions.

All my best,

John

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »
^ so a $1 million bid would have meant having to pay $215,000 BP  ;D