Author Topic: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?  (Read 41919 times)

guest4531

Re: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head, Dave.

From a slightly different collector of Cinema Memorabilia, he makes a good point around the 2.30 minute mark. 

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s3229171.htm

So the super-uber-hyper-knwolegdable man said we are all dumpsters, collecting trash :)  Ahaha !!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
On page 111 of Kirk Hammett's "Too Much Horror Business" Ron Moore claims he tracked down a US 1S for Metropolis but the supposed owner wouldn't show it to him. "I did track down a guy who supposedly had it because I found the guy who said he sold it to him."

Yep...was going to post this as well.  But of course there is no proof...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
So there are actually 2 Mummy 3-sheets in existence?  Hammett's and another - or did Hammett eventually get the only existing copy (out of the Sweden find if I recall correctly as well as Matt)...?

The story of Hammett's 'other' style Mummy one sheet as told in his book with Ron Moore is great!  Same with the New Zealand Universal 1/2 sheet find...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
So there are actually 2 Mummy 3-sheets in existence?  Hammett's and another - or did Hammett eventually get the only existing copy (out of the Sweden find if I recall correctly as well as Matt)...?

The story of Hammett's 'other' style Mummy one sheet as told in his book with Ron Moore is great!  Same with the New Zealand Universal 1/2 sheet find...

The 'other,' (Style C) OS is truly something to behold in color. (the Style D is the version typically thought of, and is the one S2 did its re-creation of).

Truly stunning.  happy1
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:02:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
Peter, I did come across this image. I don't know if this is a first release OS or not, tho. It was printed by the Morgan Litho Co, Cleveland, No 40953; and per the fine print on the lower right border: "This Poster Leased from Paramount Famous-Lasky Corporation"

That's cool but is too "square" to be a one sheet. Maybe a trimmed window card?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:33:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
Yes, Sean above indicated it was a WC.. here's a full card image:

So in the mean time, until a US OS appears, I could still settle for a US insert.  ;D

(Image care of HA)

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
If you get the insert Jeff, can I have the WC please?  Pretty please!!!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
Quick/funny (and sad for me) story about the Metropolis WC.
I was at the Heritage auction when it sold (used to go to pretty much every major auction as they were great events to attend live, see old friends and meet other enthusiastic collectors) and was actually the underbidder on the WC. 

The WC was one of the early lots in the auction and the buyer was in the room, he and I had gone back on forth on the WC for a bit and finally I asked him if he would lay off a couple of horror pieces that were coming up a couple of hundred lots later if I gave up (was looking to buy it for resale, not for myself so there were lots of other things to choose from as the price grew) and he agreed. 
Literally right after the hammer dropped (and before the next lot opened) Heritage got a bidder on the line who tried to make a bid, but the auctioneer refused to accept it saying he had already dropped the hammer and it was too late (this fact alone will probably drive some conspiracy theorists nuts).  So Grey made an offer to the buyer on behalf of the bidder who was locked out, and the buyer resold the poster within 5 minutes of purchase before even giving Heritage a penny for it and made a nice profit. He was able to bid on several more items during the course of the auction all on the profit he made from the sale (and he stuck to his word not to bid against me on the lots we had talked about).
Made me wish I had made one more bid (at least...)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2013, 01:24:58 AM »
Thanks for the inside look at "trench warfare" at the Auction house...

Then again if you made another bid...it could have left the window open for the phone bidder, you both could have lost, and the other bidder would have bid against you later in the auction!!

....or maybe not....it is a great window card though... I don't think I have ever seen a half sheet for Metropolis...were there two styles?

...also still would like to know where those Golem and Electric house lobbies came from!!
 ;)
Tait

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2013, 01:58:24 AM »
As far as I know there is only one Metropolis half sheet known (looks like the slide that Heritage has sold) and has been locked away in the owners collection for decades.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »
As far as I know there is only one Metropolis half sheet known (looks like the slide that Heritage has sold) and has been locked away in the owners collection for decades.

.. and in someone else's collection for decades before that

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
Come on boys.  Show, don't tell. Here's the image from the aforementioned slide with white borders added:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:26:47 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Mirosae

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
Some good points here.  In black and white terms, the price is directly related to the supply and demand.  One can form hypotheses regarding the level of demand for stuff, but in reality, there are likely numerous factors that determine a specific level of demand.

Regarding the "fine art" debate (as in paintings vs. posters): Frankly, I don't think that's an accurate comparison, as it is comparing apples to oranges.

Good points and agree. I am actually glad posters are not worth a million (so i can still afford a few  :P ). But I suspect that time will come when some of them might reach that mark.

Incidentally, I have a Sex and the City 2 poster...mint condition...anyone would like to buy it for £1m? Anyone? cheapy cheap  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Good points and agree. I am actually glad posters are not worth a million (so i can still afford a few  :P ). But I suspect that time will come when some of them might reach that mark.

Incidentally, I have a Sex and the City 2 poster...mint condition...anyone would like to buy it for £1m? Anyone? cheapy cheap  ;)

Say wha?

jawdrop 

;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
come on Jeff.. you know you want it.... :-*

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »

I'll trade you straight up for my $1M Ishtar.  I guess you lose on that, given the exchange rate.
-Jay-

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »

Not me I have one.............. eyeroll  Did I think that or Type it....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:57:17 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
come on Jeff.. you know you want it.... :-*

That's one way to put it...

LOL

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
I'll trade you straight up for my $1M Ishtar.  I guess you lose on that, given the exchange rate.

That's such a classh***t poster...! ;)

Not me I have one.............. eyeroll  Did I think that or Type it....

OhOhOh...Mr Waines... now you are talking...  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
If you get the insert Jeff, can I have the WC please?  Pretty please!!!

Of course, Brian.

Done and done.

;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:55:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
Given that number of millionaires has gone thru the roof the past fifteen years you would think a poster reaching a million would've happen years ago.
That would lead one to believe there is just not enough collectors,or interest in the hobby.Also,this hobby has always been seen as 'poor man's art', to many.Actual artwork will always carry more weight than printed paper.
Plus,the super rich like to impress,Monet impresses more than a Dracula one sheet. ;).....in those circles anyway.

I think there is an 'age' factor in effect,too.As more time passes things change.I'm sure most people under 25 don't even know who Lugosi was.I know people thirty years old that haven't seen most of the classic films from the seventies,let alone the thirties.
I think in the future collecting will travel the path it usually takes,most collect with their youth in mind.As you see these days,those young millionaires are buying things from their childhood,Star Wars toys,props,Bat suits,most likely posters from their era's as well.
Just not a lot of Kirk Hammett's out their,with money, who grew up on famous monsters.Not many growing up with Universal monsters period,really.
While Universal material will always be top dollar,stuff like Star Wars will draw more interest given the droves of fans.

Anthony

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
Anthony, part of your statement - the Monet to Dracula comment - actually doesn't quite work today.
Look to comics art collecting. The large majority of comic art collectors actually think that comic artists are better than easel artists and I have heard many exclaim that Todd McFarlane is better than Van Gogh. I'm sure there are many people who would prefer a Dracula poster to a Monet, though it is wrong headed

on million dollar price sales, except in a retail environment, you need at least 2 to Tango

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
Anthony, part of your statement - the Monet to Dracula comment - actually doesn't quite work today.
Look to comics art collecting. The large majority of comic art collectors actually think that comic artists are better than easel artists and I have heard many exclaim that Todd McFarlane is better than Van Gogh. I'm sure there are many people who would prefer a Dracula poster to a Monet, though it is wrong headed

on million dollar price sales, except in a retail environment, you need at least 2 to Tango

You're only looking at a small fraction of the "super rich" (i.e. those that are comic art collectors)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
I'm giving one example Chris and there are certain to be many examples in different fields. Move to non-collectors and they think we're all insane.
But keep in mind, people who collect other stuff are more likely to start collecting in other fields (inc movie posters) than the average person who collects nothing

-------