Author Topic: Could this be the first million dollar movie poster????  (Read 19962 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Could this be the first million dollar movie poster????
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
Yes, any Universal horror from the 30's are extremely rare, but DRACULA should be tougher to come by simply because it was first. Plus, unlike the MUMMY, I believe the DRACULA 1-sheet is the only known copy?

The Dracula A style Heritage sold is actually the 2nd copy to surface. The first came up in the early 90s and was purchased (and still owned) by Steve Fishler
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
There's no way TF would spend that kind of dough on a poster, but he sure as Hell will try to get that much for one, and more if he can. TF likes to pay pennies for material, then sell it for dollars, as in a 1 with two zeros in back of it.

Todd was the owner of the Mummy poster when it sold at Sotheby's for the $450K.  The buyer at the time is not what most would call an active collector, and there were constant rumors of a back-room deal for Todd to purchase it back. His access to the piece in the ensuing 20 years has done nothing to quash those rumors.

Todd does pay up for material from time to time - when the first set of Son of Kong 1-sheet and 3-sheets surfaced at auction in 2005 (Hollywood Poster Auction), Todd paid over $58,000 for the 3-sheet.  When the B Style Dracula sold for $77,000 at auction in 1993 (an auction record at the time), Todd told me then he had paid $90K privately for the Mummy poster and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I believe he purchased the Bride advance from Harry Thomas and paid a record at that time, of course back then the record was still a four-figure price. But it still takes guts to set a record no matter the year.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Todd was the owner of the Mummy poster when it sold at Sotheby's for the $450K.  The buyer at the time is not what most would call an active collector, and there were constant rumors of a back-room deal for Todd to purchase it back. His access to the piece in the ensuing 20 years has done nothing to quash those rumors.

Todd does pay up for material from time to time - when the first set of Son of Kong 1-sheet and 3-sheets surfaced at auction in 2005 (Hollywood Poster Auction), Todd paid over $58,000 for the 3-sheet.  When the B Style Dracula sold for $77,000 at auction in 1993 (an auction record at the time), Todd told me then he had paid $90K privately for the Mummy poster and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I believe he purchased the Bride advance from Harry Thomas and paid a record at that time, of course back then the record was still a four-figure price. But it still takes guts to set a record no matter the year.

Great back info there, Sean. Like anyone, he's plunked down huge amounts of cash in the past to put his collection together, so him asking "pie in the sky" prices is his option. That he has paid that kind of $$$ in the past puts to rest any chatter about how shallow or deep TF's pockets are and whether he needs to sell or not.

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
Thank you Sean for providing all these info, it's all very interesting thumbsup.gif