Author Topic: Guvmint shutdown sale!  (Read 17811 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Guvmint shutdown sale!
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Well, the tea-tards shut down the government because they can't accept that Obama kicked their asses in the 2012 election, so I unexpectedly need to raise some cash (yes, I have $2,500 in rent + bills per month to service!). So I've put up a few of my Mondos for 5-day auctions to stave off starvation, check 'em out if it suits your fancy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/alphamel1968/m.html

It's just easier to handle it through Ebay, so bid if you're interested. Already picked up a couple of bids on them, so away we go....

P.S. Man, it is enormously time-consuming to sell this [stuff], consignment is so much easier....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:03:41 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Guvmint shutdown sale!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »
You should have tested samples to see how edible the actual posters were...maybe even the frames (you won't starve with the # you have)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
Maybe I can eat my checks as well?  I hated writing this (ridiculously high) rent check out this morning. I need to reduce my overhead!

New plan: Find a rich woman!

I'm not the only one feeling unexpected cash flow pressure, especially for families:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/us/as-government-slugs-it-out-government-workers-take-it-on-the-chin.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:00:52 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
Maybe I can eat my checks as well?  I hated writing this (ridiculously high) rent check out this morning:

Oh, poor baby.

My mortgage check is only $40 lower, and I live out here in the hinterlands of Wisconsin.  My salary is just about the same as it was in 1998, but expenses sure aren't.  I didn't give up poster buying or my other hobbies because I got bored with them.  Paying college tuition for my son doesn't help either.  I simply struggle to make the check last until the next payday and savings are a distant memory.
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »
Oh, poor baby.

My mortgage check is only $40 lower, and I live out here in the hinterlands of Wisconsin.  My salary is just about the same as it was in 1998, but expenses sure aren't.  I didn't give up poster buying or my other hobbies because I got bored with them.  Paying college tuition for my son doesn't help either.  I simply struggle to make the check last until the next payday and savings are a distant memory.

True, nobody should feel particularly sorry for me. That said, I'm paying for a 900 sq.ft. apt, you're paying for a much-larger house and getting a mortgage interest deduction.

Housing in DC is twice as expensive as the national average (and presumably your area is close to the national average):

http://us.spindices.com/indices/real-estate/sp-case-shiller-dc-washington-home-price-index

BTW we need to ditch the mortgage deduction (which benefits you) and state income tax deductions (which benefits people like me in high-tax states). They cause serious economic distortions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:25:42 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
You dry mounted that Scott Pilgrim !!?!? :'(

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »

I think those posters are a good choice to get rid of

guest8

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
I don't get all of you haters out there. Do you just hate on the prints because they are not what you think is "cool" .. or is there a legitimate reason for the constant bashing of some great movie art??

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
As far as rent goes, $1,700 is a ridiculous amount.  How big is your place, Mel?  No rent control, I guess.  Can't you find cheaper housing?

And Dave, I don't understand why you care.  Seriously, who cares what other people think of prints, or anything else for that matter, especially people you don't know.  Even if you're the only person on this forum who likes prints, nothing else should matter.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
And Dave, I don't understand why you care.  Seriously, who cares what other people think of prints, or anything else for that matter, especially people you don't know.  Even if you're the only person on this forum who likes prints, nothing else should matter.

T

Its not that I really "care" what everyone thinks.. I just get irritated by what I perceive to be this elitist attitude against anything other than a certain type of poster. Just like what others say shouldn't matter to me and therefore I could just ignore those types of comments, those people who make the comments could also just accept that other people collect other forms of movie art too, instead of belittling them every chance they get. :)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
I think a third to a half of my collection is comprised of Mexican lobby cards. Nearly everyone despises them, and thus despises a large part of my collection. I don't care.

Those posters Mel has up, to me, look bland. Mel has more colorful posters with hotter girls and I think his decision to part with those is a good one!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
Its not that I really "care" what everyone thinks.. I just get irritated by what I perceive to be this elitist attitude against anything other than a certain type of poster. Just like what others say shouldn't matter to me and therefore I could just ignore those types of comments, those people who make the comments could also just accept that other people collect other forms of movie art too, instead of belittling them every chance they get. :)

I don't know, I don't see it.  1) it's only printed paper (basically, who gives a shit) and 2) you've never met anyone of us, we could all be living in our mothers' basement and wacking off all day for all you know (sorry ladies).  Taste is so personal.  Pretty much everyone I know thinks I'm insane for collecting paper, and these are close friends I love.  But it makes me happy, so I let it slide.  To each his own, is what I say.  People are free to make a judgement, especially on a public forum.  That's what it's for, an exchange of ideas, of likes and dislikes.  Some people who only collect 20s and 30s gear will think my collection is shit, and they would be right.  It is shit to them.  All I'm saying is that I wish people would stop being so sensitive about something that really doesn't reflect their personalities or morals and accept that we are all different out there.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
I don't mind that people prefer different things .. that's why I asked what his reasoning for it was. I was interested in his opinion. I wasn't trying to stifle his thoughts or opinions but rather bring about a constructive conversation about our differences.

As for you Steve .. Mexican Lobby cards are shit! And I would tell you to sell them off but I know that no one else would buy then!! :P

On a serious note though.. BLAND!!?? You really should see some of these prints in person especially the detail on that CEotTK and even Sucker Punch .. (even not great movies can have some stunning poster art!) As well as the Scott Pilgrim poster. Posters like these harken back to a more artistic take on movies and posters. Which I feel is missing from a lot of todays posters. Studios are just all too eager to have some graphic design student slap some computer manipulated photos on a poster and call it quits, I think it's sad that we are losing touch with the art form itself.

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
P.S. Man, it is enormously time-consuming to sell this [stuff], consignment is so much easier....

What else have you got to do?  I mean your not working at the moment...  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

And doesn't dry mounting severely decrease the value (of any print or poster), in most collectors' eyes? It's not as bad as laminating something, but it is frowned upon as well, in most cases?

I was reading thru the Restoration thread earlier this week, and re-visited this sub thread, which was the basis for my question:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2912.0.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:44:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
And doesn't dry mounting severely decrease the value (of any print or poster), in most collectors' eyes? It's not as bad as laminating something, but it is frowned upon as well, in most cases?

guest8

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »
Yes, drymounting pretty much ruins the poster. This is my opinion, but apparently someone is willing to pay at least $50 for it but it's valued around $200-300+ in mint condition. Print collectors are extremely anal about condition, even a slightly bent corner could effect the buyers willingness to pay the premium prices for a print. But even with the conditions issues mentioned int eh auction had the print not been drymounted I would think it could have still pulled a good price.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
No, I picked up the dry-mounted Scott Pilgrim, Sucker Punch, and Close Encounters cheap from a local collector and am "flipping" them.  I'm not eager to part with the others (especially Lost) but they're the "lowest hanging" fruit.

And Thierry, $1739 is below-market, rent-controlled rent around here.  Condos in DC are $300,000+ (minimum) with $800 month condo fees.  Houses in the burbs are $500,000+ (at minimum) with two hour round trip commutes.  Houses in nice neighborhoods in Northwest DC are $1 million+ (minimum).  Or you can buy in the poor part of town cheap and hope your neighborhood gentrifies over time. The only way to get by is to get married and pool your resources.  That's why a low six-figure salary around here basically lets you "get by" but not much more.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:57:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
Yeah, it's actually not bad compared to LA.  Houses in okay neighborhoods range from $1.5 to $3 million.  Sometimes $4.  But that's LA.  Sea, sex and sun.  I didn't expect DC to be so high.  My ex-girlfriend is selling her house in McLean for $1.2, it's a 4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, 2,500 Sq. Ft.

T
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:27:06 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
Take a pay cut, move to the Midwest where nobody wants to live but us locals.  :)