Author Topic: About some James Bond posters  (Read 39503 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: About some James Bond posters
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:08 AM »
Whatever floats each of our boats...

;D

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
Reproductions, in my POV, do not diminish the value of the real deal, they are a completely different "market". Original is original, reproduction is not original so they could cost $10 each and still be of good quality, representing faithfully the original posters.

Well, yes and no.

Stuff that is done on a large printer from a high res image will cost a fair chunk of that $10 in ink and paper.  Packaging and shipping will put it well over $10.

Some of the repro stuff has been made just for the collector market.  A custom litho is created and a limited run is made.  A number of these were done in the '70s-'90s.  They tend to be for posters whose prices have shot through the stratosphere, and they are significantly cheaper, but they are not $10 posters either, due to the nature of how they were created and their relative rarity.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
The S2s are another example of fine "reproductions" that were made on antique litho presses, for some of the best films of various early decades. True lithos, yes, but still reproductions.

And they were last being sold, a few months ago, for $128.00 each (from the company directly); that is a bit of a jump from the 10 dollar number.

-Jeff

guest4168

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 06:51:50 AM »
OK so I'm totally biased, but if you want an affordable way of collecting movie poster art - consider Japanese chirashi. High quality prints, great artwork, can be easily stored in a folder in your bookcase for easy viewing, and best of all can be bought for the most part under $10. (They're easy to scan too). As genuine theatrical movie items, they are not worthless like repros.

The best part is that its possible to put together a superb collection of posters without mortgaging the house. I myself have around 1000 posters in my collection, many that I consider 'gems' (classic movie, fantastic artwork) and would cost a horrendous amount to buy otherwise. My entire collection takes up about 24 inches on my bookcase :)

Anyway... you can check out my Bond posters here: http://www.jposter.net/posters/series.asp?sid=6. And if you're interested, I have high-res 300dpi scans of them all (2000px x 3000px) that you're welcome to, so long as you don't go reprinting them  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
Hello all,

I have recently become a "collector" of movie posters!

Dude, being a "digital only" collector - for lack of a better word - of posters is like being a suburban sex dungeon master.  It's disreputable and sordid and something you really don't want to publicly admit.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
It isn't !!  I told everyone when I ran my dungeon.  whip   ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »

;D ;D
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »

laugh1

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
laugh1

;D

He is not only the quad Master.

andyvee

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2013, 02:21:43 AM »
Dude, being a "digital only" collector - for lack of a better word - of posters is like being a suburban sex dungeon master.  It's disreputable and sordid and something you really don't want to publicly admit.

You don't respect other peoples' way of thinking when it does not match yours.
I _am_ a "digital-only" collector and I hereby publicly admit it and I don't care what you think about me.

@jposter.net: I am humbled by your offer. Thank you. I will take a look at your website and I may contact you later. I want to have my website running first so people can see clearly what my intentions are for the images. Unfortunately, it's been taking much longer than I expected to create it but I am having lots of fun learning new things.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:29:19 AM by andyvee »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2013, 03:15:00 AM »
I think it is just because the raison d'etre for this site is that 'it is art on paper; the touch, feel, restoration, authenticity' of which that is what the readers are concerned about and interested in.  Copying and pasting images from the 'net is of little or no interest here, imho.

It would be like a camper turning up on a caravanner's site and then saying, 'but I too like to stay in sh1tty accomodation when on holiday.'

(There might be mixed messages in this last, but am sure you can figure it out)

andyvee

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »
I think it is just because the raison d'etre for this site is that ... blah blah blah

It is "raison d'être" (my own native language uses diacritics so it hurts me when people disregard them) and I don't understand your analogy. Too advanced for my IQ.

You have paper poster and you have electronic binary representation of an image that corresponds to that poster (a jpeg, for instance). BTW, these days, the latter is probably much more often created first.

You have live music and you have electronic binary representation of a music (an mp3 file, for instance).

Some of you loath to accept collection of images of posters.
I guess you only listen to music when you go to a live presentation then, otherwise you would be a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:52:31 AM by andyvee »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »
Just go to movieposterdb.com, buy some credits, and download a couple thousand Bond posters in large JPEG format for a few bucks:

http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/0055928/Dr-No.html

Then maybe you'll be happy....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 06:58:58 AM »
Collecting digital images from the web or buying them in bulk on CD and posting them on the web as some sort of collecting victory is ridiculous. Images can be obtained in bulk, including high res, for nothing easily with next to no effort or little interest in the subject.

Many of us have large collections of images, likely many multiples of quantity you currently have. They are mostly want lists. We wouldn't even consider showing them as some sort of victory.

You can of course trumpet your newly acquired digital images if you like, however to some like me it looks infantile.

2 things:
- some consider high res images one step away from encouraging reproducing fakes which is rather frowned upon in this forum
- obtaining images without acknowledgement of the source is also considered by some as inappropriate. That someone put the effort into photographing which can involve a lot of time and effort and equipment. While it may be legal to take them in some circumstances, that doesn't make it acceptable, like farting or sneezing in someones face.

If anyone gives you high res images, they should be prepared those images can be used for anything. They are lost into the wild. You may indicate their intended purpose, however, they may be taken from your site/computer/usb against all your best intentions. You start off saying they are for use as a background to your pc, then as a website with good intentions... The use will change as all things do, yet those images cant be taken back.

Because you have missed the mark on so many levels, I can only think you have little regard, which is fine, but you will receive hostility. I reckon you could be a psychopath!:

Psychopaths are born with temperamental differences such as impulsivity, cortical underarousal, and fearlessness that lead them to risk-seeking behavior and an inability to internalize social norms.

Bruce

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
This reminds me of a quote from one of my very favorite movies, Hoosiers:

"Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with."

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Reproductions, in my POV, do not diminish the value of the real deal, they are a completely different "market". Original is original, reproduction is not original so they could cost $10 each and still be of good quality, representing faithfully the original posters.
"Digital only" eh?
After hanging around here you are already considering paper. ;) Great  stuff.
I agree with your above quote,there is nothing wrong with collecting repos,some of them can be almost as good as the real deal.
Best of luck with the collection.

Stew

andyvee

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
Collecting digital images from the web or buying them in bulk on CD and posting them on the web as some sort of collecting victory is ridiculous. Images can be obtained in bulk, including high res, for nothing easily with next to no effort or little interest in the subject.

Many of us have large collections of images, likely many multiples of quantity you currently have. They are mostly want lists. We wouldn't even consider showing them as some sort of victory.

You can of course trumpet your newly acquired digital images if you like, however to some like me it looks infantile.

2 things:
- some consider high res images one step away from encouraging reproducing fakes which is rather frowned upon in this forum
- obtaining images without acknowledgement of the source is also considered by some as inappropriate. That someone put the effort into photographing which can involve a lot of time and effort and equipment. While it may be legal to take them in some circumstances, that doesn't make it acceptable, like farting or sneezing in someones face.

If anyone gives you high res images, they should be prepared those images can be used for anything. They are lost into the wild. You may indicate their intended purpose, however, they may be taken from your site/computer/usb against all your best intentions. You start off saying they are for use as a background to your pc, then as a website with good intentions... The use will change as all things do, yet those images cant be taken back.

Because you have missed the mark on so many levels, I can only think you have little regard, which is fine, but you will receive hostility. I reckon you could be a psychopath!:

Psychopaths are born with temperamental differences such as impulsivity, cortical underarousal, and fearlessness that lead them to risk-seeking behavior and an inability to internalize social norms.

The way I see it, from my point of view, you look like the psychopath here coming to dark conclusions about my character based on a few posts about James Bond posters. It is like I am a one-dimensional character from a cartoon movie. That is insane.  Where did I claim any victory here about anything? Where did you see any image that I have posted in the internet besides the few ones that I linked to this thread to get to any conclusion about what I am doing? How many images do you know I want to "collect"? You know nothing, John Snow!

I started this as a challenge to myself, to build a simple, small website with the images of only the regular 23 quad posters of JB movies and US 1-sheets. I am doing _almost_ exactly that and that is my goal and I will stop at the completion of my goal because I don't see any personal reason to go beyond it. It has already taken too much of my time but since I am having fun learning new things (about Photoshop, mostly, also about some cool thing, html5, etc.) I will not stop until I am done. For me, the challenge of doing this, the website, the coding, is more relevant and satisfying than possessing the pictures of the posters. I am a hobbyist programmer much more than I am a JB poster "collector". Many the things I am learning I will not even use in the website.

I said "_almost_" because I have adapted my plans. I have discarded the idea of having the US-1 sheets (that would be much easier to find online) but I added all the Styles for the quads (and later I _may_ include the Advance quads if I can find enough of them). So I removed tens and added like 8 more, and may add, in the future, 15-20 more, and that's it. US-1 sheets have a different format and it is incompatible with my current "framework" for the quads.

And as I asked here once, show me ONE only website that shows, in one place, ALL regular quads for ALL JB movies correctly and in a decent resolution! There is none! Even the official books are missing. The famous JB websites I found all have miniature thumbnails of the posters.

And BTW, almost all images that I will use are from ha.com. Anyone can go there and look at them in a much higher resolution that the one I am going to use. If not for that site, I would have given up because if I was to depend on collectors like most of you here to get images, I'd be damned. Most of you, with some notable and rare exceptions, are too spoiled with your paper poster collection to understand and want to help. Spoiled and maybe afraid that your precious collection of thousands of posters will have its value diminished if a random guy creates a website showing 25-40 images of them.

Bruce

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OfY5eXRuVn0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OfY5eXRuVn0</a>

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »
Where did I claim any victory here about anything? Where did you see any image that I have posted in the internet besides the few ones that I linked to this thread to get to any conclusion about what I am doing?

here in another thread... a picture of a sign you said you Photoshopped. Your collection you said will involve photoshopping so this sign is a sign of your signs you are doing

You know nothing, John Snow!

That's 'Jon', for those that know nothing

guest4168

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
I started this as a challenge to myself, to build a simple, small website with the images of only the regular 23 quad posters of JB movies and US 1-sheets.

I taught myself html and photoshop in much the same way - by picking a subject I was interested in, and then just working out how to create a website for it. Loads of fun, and an enjoyable challenge.

Good luck :)

andyvee

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
here in another thread... a picture of a sign you said you Photoshopped. Your collection you said will involve photoshopping so this sign is a sign of your signs you are doing

So, I post a picture of a real sign that was auctioned for 17k sterling pounds, and that I used to play with Photoshop, and then it is enough for you to know me?

You're nuts.

andyvee

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:01 AM »
I taught myself html and photoshop in much the same way - by picking a subject I was interested in, and then just working out how to create a website for it. Loads of fun, and an enjoyable challenge.

Good luck :)

Thank you! It is nice to know some of you can understand what I mean, what I am doing, how does it feel like.

As a big fan and user of VBA for mostly Excel, I've spending a lot of time trying to learn ExtendScript for Photoshop. It may not be too useful but it is really rewarding. Right now I am learning how to write and read custom metadata per layer in a psd file. Interesting stuff.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Most of you, with some notable and rare exceptions, are too spoiled with your paper poster collection to understand and want to help. Spoiled and maybe afraid that your precious collection of thousands of posters will have its value diminished if a random guy creates a website showing 25-40 images of them.

You are certainly not enamoring your way to those that could assist you.

Are you a gen Y by any chance?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »
gen Y

Gen envy..first I`ve seen that.  ;)

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »
Thank you! It is nice to know some of you can understand what I mean, what I am doing, how does it feel like.

As a big fan and user of VBA for mostly Excel, I've spending a lot of time trying to learn ExtendScript for Photoshop. It may not be too useful but it is really rewarding. Right now I am learning how to write and read custom metadata per layer in a psd file. Interesting stuff.

Good luck, Andy, with however your collection comes together.

Keep on truckin'

;D

-Jeff