Author Topic: Can this poster be saved?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Can this poster be saved?
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
May pick up this particular poster, but it has been mounted to a 'poster board', whatever that means...the definition itself is very arbitrary.

Just wondering if I should go for it and have it removed by a restorer (like the good few who peruse this forum), but I need to make sure it CAN be removed.

Any thoughts?

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Can this poster be saved?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »
That backing almost looks like heavier linen?  Why not ask the seller for more specifics before taking the plunge?
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
That backing almost looks like heavier linen?  Why not ask the seller for more specifics before taking the plunge?

Yeah, that was my assessment as well. I have been talking to the seller and just asked a few more questions.

Here is another pic. It is standing on its own, which makes it seem like it is more than a thicker linen...?

I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
If it's something you like Ben, just get it if the price is right.  The fact it's on a board wouldn't bother me, I'd frame it as is..

I think it can be removed, but the cost may well be horrendous.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
Have you emailed the restorers of which you speak with the question and a pic?
David

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
Have you emailed the restorers of which you speak with the question and a pic?

No, I was hoping Dario or Charlie could chime in. I may drop them a note after the holiday weekend.

I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
I've had posters removed from foamcore before. It's possible, but it can be very damaging to the front of the poster depending on what kind of glue was used (unfortunately it seems they never used wheat paste or a water-based glue, then it would lift right off). Think of it this way... you aren't dissolving the glue so much as you are scraping the poster off the board. The restorers get the poster wet and just start chiseling at it. It's crazy time consuming and it is almost guaranteed that you'll tear through to the front of the artwork on multiple occasions.

So again, it's A) possible, B) expensive, and C) potentially damaging -- but for the right poster at a low price, I would and have done it.

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
No, I was hoping Dario or Charlie could chime in. I may drop them a note after the holiday weekend.

It has the texture of a linenbacked poster.  Maybe they attached the linenbacked poster to the foam core for stability.  My french 1P Tattinger Grace/Deneuve, although backed, never wants to hang straight.  I pinned it with like 12-16 thumb tacks and the rigidness of the backing just makes it curl...  Ask them to take a picture from the edge side of the poster and maybe see if there is another layer between the poster and the foam core???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:19:14 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
Oh and then if the linen is attached to foam core you poster should be decent in terms of conservation.  If they use a 3M spray or something it may soak into the linen from the back but you may dig further to see who mounted it and whether they used something archival.  After that it may come off with some application of heat and patience, but the residue will remain...

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
I have seen linen posters glued to foamcore, and at the worst, the foam can be shaved off from the back.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
Heard back from the seller. He says he bought it this way and it cannot be rolled at all.

Just wrote him back asking for a side and back pic. I think it is on linen and then mounted. If so, game on.

I was mistaken,

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:48 AM »
Shipping will be interesting!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Shipping will probably be very expensive. Sending something that big and flat cannot be cheap.