Author Topic: EU based restorers / conservationists  (Read 11413 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: EU based restorers / conservationists
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
Couldn't get them this week Rosa, I'll be down there in two weeks, I know dragging on a bit, but as I always say time should never be the important part of Restoration, just quality. ;)

Yes, i agree, Paul. No restoration should never be a "rush job," as quality is what anyone hopes to have in the end. But at the same time, excessive time taken by a restorer can also become a mental burden to some poster owners. And can make something less than enjoyable, if too much time rolls by without any seeming progress.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:10:18 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 07:01:34 AM »
Finally made it down to London, and picked these two up..

The first was just a basic backing with some minor touch ups to cross folds.

Before.

After.

This next one was in very bad shape, my before doesn't show how bad, wish I'd taken a pic from the back...
Plus, I wanted to see if Day-glo type ink could be done. Graham said it could have done with a bit more on the green, but he doesn't like over restored stuff.

Before.

After.
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Thanks Paul. Good to see them in full glory. What kind of linen did he use? Is it the thick one or medium thick?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »
It's different from other linen I've seen before, looks a bit more expensive. I would say Medium think, not as heavy as some...

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Certainly look good to me - ladykillers has to be 1 of my favourite films!
I'll try them out . I think I have 4 that need doing in total
One quick question - is it best to visit them with the posters to be backed/restored or just send them in the post & chat on phone/email about the options?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
Mike, I took mine down and talked about how I wanted them, but he's open to either way...  He's a first rate fellow, very nice to chat to.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Looking good, Paul. Happy to see you finally got them. They both look to have turned out very nicely. And it sounds like the linen used was not the paper thin stuff, that often loses the battle with poster folds that want to refold on themselves.

-Jeff

Offline kinoart.net

• Beginner
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
I finally found one in France (after several disappointing experiences) - if restoration needed quality is not 100% up to what some US restorers can do, but if not much restoration was needed I was happy (also with price & communication)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
The top left corner of Dr Jekyll doesn't look too smooth??

It is completely visible.  If something is going to be replaced, would it not be fair to assume it will be blended in?

Are you happy with the results?

Mirosae

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
I finally found one in France (after several disappointing experiences) - if restoration needed quality is not 100% up to what some US restorers can do, but if not much restoration was needed I was happy (also with price & communication)

I'm just curious..who would you go to in France?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
The top left corner of Dr Jekyll doesn't look too smooth??

It is completely visible.  If something is going to be replaced, would it not be fair to assume it will be blended in?

Are you happy with the results?

There was no paper added to the top left as it never entered the artwork..

To be fair, the poster was in a worse state than it looks in the before pic, I was reasonably happy, but thought it could have done with a bit more work on the green area..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
Paul, I think Simes was meaning the small chunk that was missing and later replaced in the top Right corner.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
It's not replaced Jeff, what you can see is the Japanese paper it was first backed to before being put on the linen.

Mirosae

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
The important thing is that you are happy with it Paul. And if for whatever reason you want him to do some minor touch ups I am sure you can always ask him? The green areas might be easily done with minor touch ups...

In any case, it is a great looking poster. And you didn't have to go through the agony and pain of shipping etc..  :)

gargoyle67

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
Anyone had dealings with>http://www.linen-backing.co.uk/
They've had my Enter the dragon poster for 8 weeks and I'm still waiting, Going to phone them tomorrow (again), first time I phoned them they said the girl that does the linen backing was off. That was a month ago, I know it's not a quick process but cmon, it's only a clean and backing not restoration  eyeroll

Mirosae

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Anyone had dealings with>http://www.linen-backing.co.uk/
They've had my Enter the dragon poster for 8 weeks and I'm still waiting, Going to phone them tomorrow (again), first time I phoned them they said the girl that does the linen backing was off. That was a month ago, I know it's not a quick process but cmon, it's only a clean and backing not restoration  eyeroll

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4517.msg126843.html#new

Tim and Martyn are a pleasure to deal with. But it took ages to get my posters back and when they did the job was not good at all. But if you need minor work then hopefully it should be Ok.

That said they offered a framing service for free to cover for the "disappointment". So they really are nice people.  But their restoration work just didn't do it for me. And as you say...You do have to wait...and wait. ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:54:52 PM by Mirosae »

gargoyle67

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Mirosae  :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
As mentioned in the Charlie Chaplin restoration thread. It seems good to mention her and her comany here, too.  :)

Alicia Garcia, conservator and restorer at Aquatint, located in Bristol, UK. She is also the founder of the company.

http://aquatint-paperconservation.bksites.net/

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
As mentioned in the Charlie Chaplin restoration thread. It seems good to mention her and her comany here, too.  :)

Alicia Garcia, conservator and restorer at Aquatint, located in Bristol, UK. She is also the founder of the company.

http://aquatint-paperconservation.bksites.net/

Anyone had any work done by Alicia?  I am only 25 miles from Bristol so would be ideal for me.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Anyone had any work done by Alicia?  I am only 25 miles from Bristol so would be ideal for me.

Marc, maybe you should be the first and give her a try. She certainly looks to know her stuff and sounds like she takes great care in the work she does, too.

-Jeff