Author Topic: Should adverts be allowed on APF?  (Read 25362 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Should adverts be allowed on APF?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »

Just because you have advertising on a website does not mean you have to censor any part of the website.

Not agreeing with this at all.  You really think large auction house like Heritage or even eMovie would splash their banners all over this site where we have booby pictures, tons of juvenile (and sometimes hilarious!) derogatory commentary and Mel as a member?  Bruce even censors risque posters in his auctions.

Sure they both list their auction items here in forum threads but that's much different than splashy paid advertising.  What kind of message does it say about a professional business if they condone what goes on here sometimes?  You really think Andy was censoring posts on MPF just because he felt like it?  He's a slave to his $ making creation and needs to keep those advertisers appeased.  

Thus if Thierry and Holiday really wanted enough paid advertising to justify even going down that route - censorship of the forum would have to follow.  And that will lead to its ultimate demise...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
I have to say, I do like it as is. It's great it's not huge, makes it more ...elite, just like the collectors on here.. ;)

That's right Paul - for those that keep crying about the need to build APF bigger and bigger go hang out on Expresso Beans where the true elite collectors congregate  eyeroll
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
No formal advertising. Period!  

I know T and H don't need anything from us (as they have repeated over and over) but I would chip in $ to keep it banner free, ad free, etc... I like it just the way it is run now!  Plus in reality it's way easier to run this way, I would think...  Why spend time messing with stuff you don't need to?

Keep us ad Free T!

Say No Way Holiday!

Charlie

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
Anything said that would genuinely help this forum is rarely acted upon so why do we even post in this section lol. #JustTellingTheTruth

I didn't know it needed help Adam...  But if you want to make it interesting, why don't you and Mel go another round or two...  ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
Keep us ad Free T!
Say No Way Holiday!

;) ;D

Stew

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
You really think large auction house like Heritage or even eMovie would splash their banners all over this site where we have booby pictures, tons of juvenile (and sometimes hilarious!) derogatory commentary and Mel as a member?

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »
BTW, do you think what "built up [my] audience quite nicely" is "spruiking [you] to death", OR is what built up my audience that I have the widest selection, no buyers premiums, combined shipping, and the best customer service of any auction?

Is this a dagger I see before me...The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.  ;)

I know you are joking around

Indeedy.

But in all seriousness, and probably because I have a sales and marketing background, I like advertising, well to be more exact, the type of ads that people come up with because it's interesting to see the way people promote themselves and their products and what 'hooks' they use' to gets the consumer's attention. Despite people's aversion to some of it, advertising is not the death of anything, certainly advertising can be annoying which is why (for many many of reasons) there are rules about advertising in almost all mediums.

If there are no rules here about it then let it ride, we've seen what ultimately happens when one spams this place (Mexican LCS example), or use ads that are far too big that they cause an objections that admin have to step in. Paid or otherwise, if people object, then two words: 'Adblock Plus', learn how to use it.

Oh and 'like' me on Facebook here, my latest post had 10,619 reads...wonder why? ;D
David

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
I have to say if it ain't broke don't fix it. This isn't a commercial enterprise as has been explained many times before. If you're interested in posters this site can't be that hard to find can it? Does it really need advertising to draw people in?

I have to say, I do like it as is. It's great it's not huge, makes it more ...elite, just like the collectors on here.. ;)

That's right Paul - for those that keep crying about the need to build APF bigger and bigger go hang out on Expresso Beans where the true elite collectors congregate  eyeroll

I know T and H don't need anything from us (as they have repeated over and over) but I would chip in $ to keep it banner free, ad free, etc... I like it just the way it is run now!  Plus in reality it's way easier to run this way, I would think...  Why spend time messing with stuff you don't need to?

Keep us ad Free T!

Say No Way Holiday!

I think the elite collectors have spoken.  :D

This place kicks some movie poster collecting ass!

Sure a select few of us have moments of insanity but hey we are a very passionate crowd.

I love this place. Keep as is!!!!!!!!!!

and ty Stew.  cheers
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:01:36 PM by Zorba »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »

Sure a select few of us have moments of insanity

[/quote]

:D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »
uni-brow!
David

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 01:44:35 AM »
Personally, I have always been a fan of the 1 for sale thread per username.  But that is just me.  Reply and/or edit your own thread as you see fit, but I do not see much point in a new thread every time.

As far as forum etiquette goes, there are two people who own this forum and their word IS the etiquette, and any commentary on what is proper etiquette is a waste of breath.  They built a house and invited everyone to come party.  And, they are remarkably tolerant about what they let go on in their house.  When someone abused his power, they didn't ban him, but just took away his keg tap.  Even when he stole money, they just put a scarlet letter on him but let him stay around if he wanted.  Though that individual has chosen not to participate, that is his choice.  From where I stand, any perceived favoritism is highly limited in the scope of that perception.  Anyone who does not like the rules, or lack thereof, is free to leave at any time they want (right Ben?). 

That is not to say they will not listen to suggestions, but it seems to me they have are crystal clear in their idea of how they want things to function.  And receiving money from anyone in this community is tops on the list of shit that isn't going to happen.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 01:58:45 AM »
I think all advertising should be contained to the persons sig. As long as it is less than 8 screen full scrolls long

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:59:08 AM by 50s »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »
I think all advertising should be contained to the persons sig. As long as it is less than 8 screen full scrolls long

;D
David

Matt

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »
uni-brow!

I have a mate with one of those....we call him "Captain Seagull"

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Personally, I have always been a fan of the 1 for sale thread per username.  But that is just me.  Reply and/or edit your own thread as you see fit, but I do not see much point in a new thread every time.

As far as forum etiquette goes, there are two people who own this forum and their word IS the etiquette, and any commentary on what is proper etiquette is a waste of breath.  They built a house and invited everyone to come party.  And, they are remarkably tolerant about what they let go on in their house.  When someone abused his power, they didn't ban him, but just took away his keg tap.  Even when he stole money, they just put a scarlet letter on him but let him stay around if he wanted.  Though that individual has chosen not to participate, that is his choice.  From where I stand, any perceived favoritism is highly limited in the scope of that perception.  Anyone who does not like the rules, or lack thereof, is free to leave at any time they want (right Ben?). 

That is not to say they will not listen to suggestions, but it seems to me they have are crystal clear in their idea of how they want things to function.  And receiving money from anyone in this community is tops on the list of shit that isn't going to happen.

Schan got it 100% right.

clap clap clap clap clap

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

Sure a select few of us have moments of insanity

:D

;D

Charlie

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
And receiving money from anyone in this community is tops on the list of shit that isn't going to happen.

Did one of you guys forget to pay the bill again?  ;D

When I woke up I got all kinds of "this site is broken" warnings...  Did we go down?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »
Had some chew getting on here myself this morning...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
I think it had something to with installing the new banner ad software   ;)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
Maybe Bruce went over the allowable word count?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »

;D
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »

If you read three club messages in one day without a break its seriously risky for your health, they should come with a warning.
Last time they found me dehydrated and a gibbering mess after attempting a triple bill.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »
If you read three club messages in one day without a break its seriously risky for your health, they should come with a warning.
Last time they found me dehydrated and a gibbering mess after attempting a triple bill.

See what I do is pick up War & Peace which seems short compared to Bruce's messages
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
Good thinking, I'll try that and the bible, plus the highly praised sequel. Book of Mormon.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!