Author Topic: Movie Poster Books - Best of  (Read 77582 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Movie Poster Books - Best of
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
Just read the last few pages of this thread. Thanks for posting, more books for me to buy now. Starting to look like a library around here. ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
VHS Video Cover Art just arrived.   8)

This book has an awesome collection of high quality images of the front and back of VHS video covers.  A lot of these I've never seen and probably never would have seen anywhere other than this book.

Aside from the first few pages containing the foreword, there's not any commentary on the art or movies.  I think it's pretty cool that way, as the brief description of the movie on the back of the cover brings you back to those times of the video store days, when you would see a cool looking video or DVD case, and read the back for a little more info., and the descriptions of some of these movies are classic.

The images are not perfect, like MoviePosterDB or something similar, but they are very good quality.  They're from actual photos of VHS covers, and they're not in perfect condition, as they show the minor wear and tear from over the years of being rented, in storage, etc.

It's a rad book, and a great deal.  Highly recommended.

Sounds like another for the library and the good review, too, Brandon.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
Just read the last few pages of this thread. Thanks for posting, more books for me to buy now. Starting to look like a library around here. ;D

Funny you say that. I printed this thread few days ago. And realised i had already many of those books! :)

Mirosae

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
I am so grateful to this thread for recommending this book (Brian..thank you!) I genuinely think this little book is magnificent. It comes with extra info and superb photos which is always handy. See...Google..eat your heart out!

I always find Autumn to be the season to rediscover books
Winter is good to meet up again with good old movies
Spring just needs music
And Summer...just calls for ice cream
But this is Autumn...it is books time...

Anyway. As said before. Here is a fab one to have

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:56:35 PM by Mirosae »

Mirosae

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
Yes!! Starstruck is on its way! I was waiting for the price to go down. And it certainly did!

I am looking forward to it. Thanks again!

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Yes!! Starstruck is on its way! I was waiting for the price to go down. And it certainly did!

I am looking forward to it. Thanks again!

You will be in HEAVEN!  Seriously, I can't wait for you to see it!!!!  Prepare yourself!   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Mirosae

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
You will be in HEAVEN!  Seriously, I can't wait for you to see it!!!!  Prepare yourself!   :-* :-* :-* :-*

You mean it has YOUR COLLECTION too!! :P  ...yes..that and the HA catalogue should keep me entertained for few..hours... hehe

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
You mean it has YOUR COLLECTION too!! :P  ...yes..that and the HA catalogue should keep me entertained for few..hours... hehe

There are a few overlaps.....  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »
Published in Nov of 2014, this looks like a good volume for any Robert McGinnis fans, "The Art of Robert E McGinnis":

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Robert-E-McGinnis/dp/1781162174/ref=pd_cp_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=090JFWHY4YX0ZGGQ8D3X

-Jeff

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »

For the first time Nicolas Winding Refn, writer, producer and director of the PUSHER films, BRONSON, VALHALLA RISING, DRIVE, ONLY GOD FORGIVES and THE NEON DEMON, trawls through his unique collection of rare American film posters to unfold ways the viewer validates and actualises the presentation of key images into their own personal reality.

From the vintage visuals of SPIKED HEELS AND BLACK NYLONS, OBSCENE HOUSE and ALICE IN ACIDLAND to THE TWISTED SEX, TORTURE ME KISS ME and ZERO IN AND SCREAM – to name just a few of the tantalizing film titles showcased – the controversial Danish icon constructs a whole new way of looking at the key artwork and shameless hyperbole thought up in the back alley gutters of the exploitation industry.

Now the celebrated filmmaker makes complicit voyeurs of us all by editing his exceptional collection of little-seen and vivid front-of-house displays into an extraordinary creation to match the observation sensations explored in his own pioneering screen work.

Comprehensive historical context is provided by author Alan Jones for each poster, and every production detail has been meticulously overseen by Winding Refn himself - this book encapsulates everything he knows about eyewitness confrontation on a heart-felt journey into the art and act of seeing.

With a cover art concept by Jay Shaw of renowned contemporary movie poster design company Mondo, this lavish quarter bound volume has unprecedented production values including a cloth bound gold embossed slipcase.

Weighing it at just under 4KG (approximately 8 pounds), and measuring 345mm x 315mm (approximately 14 inches  x 12 inches) including the slipcase, we have had to source custom made mailing boxes to handle its dispatch. This is by far the most imposing book ever published by FAB Press.

Nicolas Winding Refn: The Act of Seeing is the first book from the new NWR imprint of FAB Press, a collaboration with cinema’s most exciting contemporary talent, Nicolas Winding Refn. It is Nicolas’s wish to produce books that focus on iconic rebels in the entertainment industry, presenting to the world high-end art books of the finest possible quality.

https://www.fabpress.com/books/nwr-act-of-seeing.html

I'll probably pick it up some day for half the price, can't splash out £50 at the moment, looks very interesting and well made though. Refn is a fantastic director too.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »
^ Sounds cool.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
I gotta get me one of those.
Wow.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
At the sleazier end of the spectrum, Britain's FAB Press has recently published a second volume of Graphic Thrills, a collection of grindhouse era American XXX movie posters. The paperback is on Amazon but signed hardcover copies are available direct from FAB.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

I just placed an order for, Hitchcock Poster Art via Amazon. It was pretty cheap for a hardcover, so I'm not sure how good the quality is going to be, but there seemed to be some positive reviews from both Hitchcock and poster fans. I'll post a few images and a review once it comes in.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »
Tony Nourmand is a well known in the poster world and has published quite the handful of entertainment and poster/film related books. He is also the founder of the publishing company (Reel Art Press) that put the book out.

Im thinking it will be a nicely done volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Nourmand/e/B004MT3B5G

http://www.reelartpress.com/authors/9/tony-nourmand

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the background info., Jeff. Looking through his Amazon resume, I've come across a number of books before that I wasn't even aware were by the same fella. Quite the body of work he's put together. Hoping to add a few more titles by him that are on my 'want list' soon.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2016, 03:31:22 AM »
His books are almost kinda sales catalogues also (I reckon).

my only claim to fame is selling him a US OS for STARLET that made his sexploitation book :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the background info., Jeff. Looking through his Amazon resume, I've come across a number of books before that I wasn't even aware were by the same fella. Quite the body of work he's put together. Hoping to add a few more titles by him that are on my 'want list' soon.

You're welcome, Chris.

Hope the book is a thumbs up when you get it and have a chance to go through it.

-Jeff

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2016, 11:58:52 PM »
I have a few from Nourmand including the Hitchcock...it's got a pretty good selection of stuff for each film.  I like pretty much all the Nourmand titles.
-Brian

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »

A quick review on, Hitchcock Poster Art: (http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Poster-Art-Mark-Wolff/dp/1585670928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458737971&sr=8-1&keywords=hitchcock+poster+art

I picked the hardcover version of this title on Amazon for fairly cheap. When it arrived I took notice that the dust cover was in fairly rough condition, so I was a bit worried initially, but found the inside to be pristine. The pages are of a nice and semi-thick stock,  with a matte-ish finish. All of the images really 'pop' and have a nice contrast without being blown out.

Each film title recieves a quick blurb detailing a brief plot synopsis and additional info. The length and breadth of these vary, some are long and thorough with lots of background on the film and production, and some are a few sentences about the plot. I felt the poster content of the book left a little to be desired. For any given title, there are anywhere from 1 to 4 examples of poster artwork from a variety of countries. I was under the impression that this would be a catalog of sorts, with an image of all known artwork for a given title. However, what the book lacks in image completeness it does make up for in thoroughness of titles. Every single Hitchcock film, from the obscure and earliest to which he served as an AD, to the very end receives at least some attention. This is also a very nice section devoted to complete sets of lobby cards for a large number of films as well.

While this book isn't what I had thought it was going to be, I'm still very pleased with my purchase and feel it was money well spent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
Looks rather impressive there, Chris. Nice pics.

You said that the dust jacket was a little rough looking. Did you buy a "used" copy? Or was one advertised as "new" sent in this condition?

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

When I purchased the book, I believed I was buying a new copy, but somehow or another I purchased a used copy... most likely a goof on my part. I lucked out though, like I mentioned, everything else was immaculate.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

When I purchased the book, I believed I was buying a new copy, but somehow or another I purchased a used copy... most likely a goof on my part. I lucked out though, like I mentioned, everything else was immaculate.

Glad it worked out!! The pages look superb.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
A quick review on, Hitchcock Poster Art: (http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Poster-Art-Mark-Wolff/dp/1585670928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458737971&sr=8-1&keywords=hitchcock+poster+art

I picked the hardcover version of this title on Amazon for fairly cheap. When it arrived I took notice that the dust cover was in fairly rough condition, so I was a bit worried initially, but found the inside to be pristine. The pages are of a nice and semi-thick stock,  with a matte-ish finish. All of the images really 'pop' and have a nice contrast without being blown out.

Each film title recieves a quick blurb detailing a brief plot synopsis and additional info. The length and breadth of these vary, some are long and thorough with lots of background on the film and production, and some are a few sentences about the plot. I felt the poster content of the book left a little to be desired. For any given title, there are anywhere from 1 to 4 examples of poster artwork from a variety of countries. I was under the impression that this would be a catalog of sorts, with an image of all known artwork for a given title. However, what the book lacks in image completeness it does make up for in thoroughness of titles. Every single Hitchcock film, from the obscure and earliest to which he served as an AD, to the very end receives at least some attention. This is also a very nice section devoted to complete sets of lobby cards for a large number of films as well.

While this book isn't what I had thought it was going to be, I'm still very pleased with my purchase and feel it was money well spent!

Very good photos and really helpful to have your review. I am a huge fan of books (and poster books!) so do please keep sharing.. ;)