Author Topic: Movie Poster Books - Best of  (Read 77592 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: Movie Poster Books - Best of
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »
That FDtR poster is credited to the Netherlands Film Museum, fwiw.  Seems a weird country to be censoring posters but maybe they got it from Ireland or something.

I rue the day that book entered my liberry.  It's what set the hook on this accurs-ed hobby.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Presumably the $81K result nearly 20 years ago factored in the vandalism! 

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/13737338.html

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
Presumably the $81K result nearly 20 years ago factored in the vandalism! 

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/13737338.html

Ah yep there it is.  Knew I had seen the sale somewhere...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
Thank you guys, very helpful. I wanted to have more info about the poster, art, provenance, etc. I am not surprised that Peter got into the hobby because of that book!!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
Barnes and Noble online has it for $18.00 + $4.00 shipping or free shipping with $25 purchase.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/store.asp?EAN=9780594670681

I picked up this book from the local Barnes and Noble yesterday.  I was shocked by how big this book is.  It's about a foot in width and height and weighs almost 8 pounds.  I also didn't realize that Sam Sarowitz of Posteritati is the main author. 

It's a great book and a great deal at $20.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:12 AM »
I picked up this book from the local Barnes and Noble yesterday.  I was shocked by how big this book is.  It's about a foot in width and height and weighs almost 8 pounds.  I also didn't realize that Sam Sarowitz of Posteritati is the main author. 

It's a great book and a great deal at $20.

Yeah, it's still available for $17.99 from the website...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
If your into Hammer films, The Art of is a jollgood book.

Here's a sneaky peek at the international book, there's quite a lot of B&W pics, but...

Paul..

We need your poster book images back!!  

crying

;)

** There u go, Paul. Image restoration!! Sigh of relief....LOL

;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:45:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
Here's another, for those too, that love pre-war Belgians up to 1950 or so. A French publication, and out of print since the late '80s (hard cover), but copies do turn up in various places from time to time.  bed1

Souvenirs D'Hollywood: Affiches Du Cinema Americain, 1925-1950 (American Movie Posters, 1925-1950)

by Serge Zreik & Florence Zreik

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:29:08 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Jeff, I can send you them if you can insert them?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
Jeff, I can send you them if you can insert them?

Paul, I can..

:)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
Thanks for posting Jeff - don't think I have seen that one before
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »
It's a beautifully done book, too, Chris. I'm not sure what the first printing print was either, but i believe it may have also been put out, a while later, in paperback, tho not 100% sure about that.

I learned about it, maybe 8 years ago, when the author had some material on ebay that he was selling. I ended up acquiring a Chaney pre-war Belgian from them (in a round about way) and during that exchange, he told me about this book that he and his wife had written and compiled.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:51:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
It's a beautifully done book, too, Chris. I'm not sure what the first printing print was either, but i believe it may have also been put out, a while later, in paperback, tho not 100% sure about that.

I learned about it, maybe 8 years ago, when the author had some material on ebay that he was selling. I ended up acquiring a Chaney pre-war Belgian from them (in a round about way) and during that exchange, he told me about this book that he and his wife had written and compiled.

Obviously it's mainly about the poster imagery but is the text in English as well?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
Obviously it's mainly about the poster imagery but is the text in English as well?

It is in both French and English...the chapter intro pages as well as the poster descriptions and titles themselves (next to, or below each image).

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »
From Thomas Hodge, aka The Dude Designs, a rad looking book VHS Video Cover Art is scheduled to be released May 28, 2015.  cool1

http://www.amazon.com/VHS-Video-Cover-Art-1980s/dp/0764348671

"Video cover art is a unique and largely lost artform representing a period of unabashed creativity during the video rental boom of the 1980s to early 1990s. The art explodes with a succulent, indulgent blend of design, illustration, typography, and hilarious copywriting. Written and curated by Tom “The Dude Designs” Hodge, poster artist extraordinaire and VHS obsessive, with a foreword by Mondo’s Juston Ishmael, this collection contains over 240 full-scale, complete video sleeves in the genres of action, comedy, horror, kids, sci-fi, and thriller films. It’s a world of mustached, muscled men, buxom beauties, big explosions, phallic guns, and nightmare-inducing monsters. From the sublime to the ridiculous, some are incredible works of art, some are insane, and some capture the tone of the films better than the films themselves. All are amazing and inspiring works of art that captivate the imagination. It’s like stepping back in time into your local video store!"

https://www.facebook.com/TheDudeDesignsPage

According to Amazon the book will be in stock on May 18, but maybe it's not shipping until the 28th.

Here are a few more photos from The Dude Designs' Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheDudeDesignsPage/posts/974163759283943

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2015, 04:04:12 PM »
Cool, stuff, there, Brandon.

And thanks for the update, too.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
Cool, stuff, there, Brandon.

And thanks for the update, too.  cool1

No problem, Jeff. 

When you think about it, it's kinda incredible that video stores are a thing of the past.  I'm sure that a lot of people miss the days of going to the local mom and pop video store, Blockbuster, etc., and there are surely a lot of people who didn't have that experience and wish that those joints were still around. 

This book looks like it has a good compilation of the VHS cover art of various titles, from the classics to the obscure, straight to video release films, many of which had totally rad artwork to sell the films.  And combined with what looks like cool commentary, and a high quality book. 

Looking forward to receiving it.  8)

Mirosae

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »

When you think about it, it's kinda incredible that video stores are a thing of the past.  

I was just thinking that! Life pre-internet. Funny. One of my to fav Wayne poster is a VHS video poster. I will have to get it one day.

Do please share what you think of the book when you get it, paper & pics quality etc. Looks like one worth buying thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:14:37 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
I was just thinking that! Life pre-internet. Funny. One of my to fav Wayne poster is a VHS video poster. I will have to get it one day.

Do please share what you think of the book when you get it
, paper & pics quality etc. Looks like one worth buying thumbsup.gif

Will do.  According to Amazon, it's expected to be delivered to me on Thursday, so it may be shipping on Tuesday.  waiting1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

Will do.  According to Amazon, it's expected to be delivered to me on Thursday, so it may be shipping on Tuesday.  waiting1

Gotta love Amazon and their shipping... always seems pretty top shelf   thumbsup.gif   (tho the 3rd party sellers can be more touch and go, sometimes).

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:38 PM »
Gotta love Amazon and their shipping... always seems pretty top shelf   thumbsup.gif   (tho the 3rd party sellers can be more touch and go, sometimes).

Yeah, with Amazon Prime it's pretty amazing.  A yearly $50 fee for Prime, and everything is shipped free with 2-day shipping.  Of course, so many things can be bought from Amazon for the same or less than anywhere else, and you get it delivered to your doorstep in 2 days.

Pretty stoked to be (hopefully) receiving this book about a week before I was planning on it.  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:48:46 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
Right on, Brandon.

I look forward to your personal review, as always.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »
VHS Video Cover Art just arrived.   8)

This book has an awesome collection of high quality images of the front and back of VHS video covers.  A lot of these I've never seen and probably never would have seen anywhere other than this book.

Aside from the first few pages containing the foreword, there's not any commentary on the art or movies.  I think it's pretty cool that way, as the brief description of the movie on the back of the cover brings you back to those times of the video store days, when you would see a cool looking video or DVD case, and read the back for a little more info., and the descriptions of some of these movies are classic.

The images are not perfect, like MoviePosterDB or something similar, but they are very good quality.  They're from actual photos of VHS covers, and they're not in perfect condition, as they show the minor wear and tear from over the years of being rented, in storage, etc.

It's a rad book, and a great deal.  Highly recommended.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »
Sounds like another one for the library, Brandon.

Nice!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
Wonder if any of Ari's covers made the book?
Chris