Author Topic: Movie Poster Books - Best of  (Read 78820 times)

Mirosae

Re: Movie Poster Books - Best of
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
Harry,

Paul will confirm, but I think it is the International Film Posters, Monogram Pitures

I just spotted a couple of posters there too. Very good books Paul. Si.

R

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
The book is just called "The book of the International poster".

Monogram is part of the Wayne poster.
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Paul, thanks, I just got mine today from Amazon. Good book. Any more books you or others may want to recommend... plz..

love books as much as I love posters. love posters as much as i love films. Love films as much as i love  books.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »
This thread is a grim reminder of how far behind I've gotten in my reading.
Great posts all.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 06:30:16 AM »
Just got the kirk Hammett book in the mail, great stuff of course, great images. Best one is the fresh faced teenager so proud of his collection.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »
Will have to check that book out...!

does anyone know any good ones about the " making of the posters "  I have the LAMP but it tells you little about printing process , history of posters  of the 20-50s.

Some of my posters look like painted " coloured" photos. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
Will have to check that book out...!

does anyone know any good ones about the " making of the posters "  I have the LAMP but it tells you little about printing process , history of posters  of the 20-50s.

Some of my posters look like painted " coloured" photos. 

You mean tinted, black and white photos, Rosa? Giving some skin tones to faces and blush to the cheeks of women?

It's a great look, and gives more eye appeal to the b/w images, IMO, too.  :)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
You mean tinted, black and white photos, Rosa? Giving some skin tones to faces and blush to the cheeks of women?

It's a great look, and gives more eye appeal to the b/w images, IMO, too.  :)

Yes, I mean that. I am trying to learn more about the posters and how they were printed say, between late 40s and late 50s.  I know most posters in the 50s look like colored photographs, but they are not like digital photos, and jut try to understand what I am supposed to be looking at when i see a poster from the late 40s to 60s..

i cannot find anything. I bought a couple of books about photography, etc. ZZZzz ZzzZ

Anyone know or can recommend anything?

Mirosae

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
An article on BILL GOLD which I found very interesting. Others might want to read it too.
APOS IF THIS HAS AREADY BEEN POSTED ELSEWHERE.

Seven Questions for Bill Gold, Master of the Movie Poster
By Stephanie Murg on February 25, 2013 6:20 AM

If the Academy doled out little golden men in the category of Best Movie Poster, Bill Gold would have hundreds. The legendary graphic designer (and Pratt Institute alum), who turned 92 last month, created posters for films ranging from Yankee Doodle Dandy (1941) to J. Edgar (2011), which he came out of retirement to design at the request of his old friend Clint Eastwood. The posters for Casablanca, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, The Exorcist? All pure Gold. He recently did his part to celebrate the achievements of another notable nonagenarian: Warner Bros. As part of a 90th anniversary celebration that will span all of 2013, the studio invited Gold to create a poster of posters. You can find it, along with art cards featuring his movie poster designs, in two new megacollections of Warner Bros. films: 100 films on DVD and 50 films on Blu-ray. Gold recently made time between Oscar screeners (he’s a member of the Academy and has watched some sixty films since November) to discuss posters past and present, and some highlights of his seven-decade career.

1. One of your first assignments at Warner Bros. was designing the poster for Casablanca. How did you approach this project, and what did you seek to create/convey with the poster?
I approached this project like I would any other. I was a young art director that was given an assignment. This was one of my first posters. My initial thoughts were to put together a montage showing all the characters depicted in the film. They appeared to be an interesting ensemble of notable characters.

Something was missing, however. And I was asked to add some more ‘excitement’ to the scene. I added the gun in Bogart’s hand, and the poster suddenly came alive with intrigue.

2. If you had to choose a poster of which you are most proud, what would it be?
The Unforgiven teaser poster. Because of the simplicity of the. The setting was appropriately dark, and the image of the gun more than provocative. It wasn’t the typical image that you’d see on a poster.

3. Of the more than 2,000 posters you’ve worked on, which one would you describe as the most challenging to design?
Bird was one of the most challenging posters I worked on–mainly because I was told not to depict it as a “jazz” movie, but rather to emphasize the more human aspects of the life of a musician. The studio was trying to promote the film as more of a ‘family’ movie. So I worked on several comps of Charlie Parker and his wife, along with his kids. But I still felt the story was primarily about this wonderful jazz musician; so I did one comp of him alone playing his sax and we dramatized how he played his whole life in a very dramatic way. As soon as Clint [Eastwood] saw it, he said, “That’s the one!” It went on to win several awards, and is also one of my favorites.

4. What do you think are the ingredients of a successful/memorable movie poster?
The objective is to “sell” the film, to entice an audience to see it through a revealing and striking image and typography. To provoke an interest in the “story” of the film is what I am able to do best.

5. What was the last movie poster (excluding those designed by yourself) you saw that you loved?
There have been several, but the majority of today’s posters seem to have an unexciting design. They just plop a head on top of another and do lots of Photoshop. I’m not fond of that. That’s not the Bill Gold look.

6. What has been your best or most memorable professional encounter?
Working and getting to know Clint Eastwood. Clint and I have become very good friends over the years. I have the highest regard for him. Professionally, he is as good as it gets. He appreciates everything I have done for him, and has wonderful taste and a remarkable eye for art. Of course, there have been a couple of times when he has asked me to “go back to the drawing board” and investigate another direction. But this is part of the working process, and most of the time we are both on the same page.

7. What has been your proudest design moment?
My most recent assignment. I was asked by Warner Home Video to design a poster for WB’s 90th anniversary. All they asked was for me to design a poster with 100 of the designs I created for Warners over the past seven decades! What a dream assignment. It wasn’t easy to pick only 100, but I did and I’m very, very proud of the poster.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

Mirosae

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I just read it. It is actually really helpful and very interesting.. thanks! :D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I just read it. It is actually really helpful and very interesting.. thanks! :D

My pleasure.
 cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
Yes, I mean that. I am trying to learn more about the posters and how they were printed say, between late 40s and late 50s.  I know most posters in the 50s look like colored photographs, but they are not like digital photos, and jut try to understand what I am supposed to be looking at when i see a poster from the late 40s to 60s..

i cannot find anything. I bought a couple of books about photography, etc. ZZZzz ZzzZ

Anyone know or can recommend anything?

Rosa, if you don't have this book it's a must read, it's by Sim Branaghan. Quadbod usually keeps a supply of them, do check it out...

Mirosae

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »

Rosa, if you don't have this book it's a must read, it's by Sim Branaghan. Quadbod usually keeps a supply of them, do check it out...

many  thanks Paul,  I do appreciate these recommendations . I just amazoned it...I bought lots of books lately...which is great ! :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
This will not disappoint, A very informative book...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
Good thread! Thanks to those that have posted, I've added a handful to my Amazon wishlist. I'll try and add a few of my faves...sorry for the bad photos!

Saul Bass: A Life in Film and Design
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saul-Bass-Life-Film-Design/dp/1856697525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362696203&sr=1-1
This is a beautiful big hardcover that appears to be really comprehensive. It has lots of images, but interesting and informative text too. Film posters, corporate work like logos and my fave sections on the title designs he worked on. I got it for Christmas and I keep dipping in, but have hardly made a dent as it contains so much. Very much recommended if you like his work.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:04:45 PM by Tob »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
Bass had such an uncanny ability to sum it all up. 
That book looks to be a treasure.

Charlie

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
Good thread! Thanks to those that have posted, I've added a handful to my Amazon wishlist. I'll try and add a few of my faves...sorry for the bad photos!

Saul Bass: A Life in Film and Design
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saul-Bass-Life-Film-Design/dp/1856697525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362696203&sr=1-1
This is a beautiful big hardcover that appears to be really comprehensive. It has lots of images, but interesting and informative text too. Film posters, corporate work like logos and my fave sections on the title designs he worked on. I got it for Christmas and I keep dipping in, but have hardly made a dent as it contains so much. Very much recommended if you like his work.

I got mine in yesterday...  It made me want to be a graphic designer.  This guy is so cool and beyond just movie posters.  I mean some of his logo/trademark work is beyond belief.  Every exxon gas station I see now, I am thinking Saul Bass did that...

Thanks for the recommendation - a great spending of my wife's Discover card points...   ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:23:57 PM by Charlie »

Meansheets

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
The Bass book is incredible -- as it includes some great stuff about the woman behind the man, Elaine Bass.

Also, here's another plug for Dave Kehr's MoMA classic, Italian Film Posters, which is heavy on the Ballesters...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?topic=1496.0
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Film-Posters-Dave-Kehr/dp/0870706926

Mirosae

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
I just re-read this thread again. Wonder if anyone has got a good book to recommend on 30s-40s posters. I have Tony Normand's but would be keen to get some more books

yes... I am already going through my Xmas wish list :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »
Bogie is a pretty good read.

What is Lost Artwork of Hollywood about?  More so the films, stills/photography or posters?
Chris

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »
I own the Bogie book and I thought it was pretty good as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
I own the Bogie book and I thought it was pretty good as well.

Are the Bogie, Jaws, and Dr No books, poster books? Or more books that cover (or are retrospectives) of their specific topics?

All look to be interesting reads tho.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
Are the Bogie, Jaws, and Dr No books, poster books? Or more books that cover (or are retrospectives) of their specific topics?

All look to be interesting reads tho.

I know Bogie is a biography and filmography
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
Bogie & Jaws no posters, mostly about films:

Bogie: A Celebration of the Life and Films of Humphrey Bogart

http://www.amazon.com/Bogie-Celebration-Films-Humphrey-Bogart/dp/0312366299/

Jaws: Memories from Martha's Vineyard

http://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Memories-Vineyard-Matt-Taylor/dp/1781163022/

Audrey Hepburn - primary focus is posters but also stills, etc.  Excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Audrey-Hepburn-The-Paramount-Years/dp/0811858022

James Bond: 50 Years of Movie Posters - best Bond poster book by far, hundreds of pics of posters, including some unreleased:

http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-Years-Movie-Posters/dp/0756698375/

Lost Art of Hollywood, not too great, although plenty of pics of trade ads, no published posters; of course, that's what the book is about - rediscovering the lost and obscure art and identifying the artists

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Artwork-Hollywood-Classic-Cinemas/dp/0823083454

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:20:45 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »