Author Topic: Lost in Space B9 Robot - 1:1 Scale  (Read 23110 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Lost in Space B9 Robot - 1:1 Scale
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:34:02 AM »
I worked on this for a while.. then opted to move him on to another B9 builder and collector. He was rather impressive at over 6.5' tall, I have to admit.

And it was fun assembling and gathering as many of the parts and components as i did.   :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:43:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Lost in Space B9 Robot - 1:1 Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:35 AM »
Do you know if the new builder/collector completed it?  If so any pics?  :)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:25 AM »
No idea if he completed it. He literally drove overnight, down from the San Francisco area, to come and pick it up.. and then drove on down to Disneyland in Anaheim for the day...lol

I have emailed and asked about updated pics but none have been forthcoming.. methinks that means it's not done yet.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:44:34 AM »
How awesome! Well done. Did it do anything like move or flash lights or speak?!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »
How awesome! Well done. Did it do anything like move or flash lights or speak?!

I had a disc of Dick Teufeld's recorded lines from the series, the neon "mouth" and a number of the chest and belly lights in place, but none of the major wiring was done, as i was still obtaining parts. The claws literally arrived a few days before he was sold.

I did tests tho, with the neon, and voice activated controller, and that worked great! Totally in sync with the voice. Was very cool!

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:08:11 AM »
wOw.....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
I luv the bubble headed watermelonie

thumbup

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
He was my fav as a kid, too.

And the first season, which was shot in B/W, was the best, IMO.

Cool effects and the b/w photography worked well. Plus, Dr Smith wasnt the soft whiner that the writers later turned him into. ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
Yikes, that was some project Jeff, looks great as it was. Did you run out of time or funds, I'd love to have seen it finished...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
Yikes, that was some project Jeff, looks great as it was. Did you run out of time or funds, I'd love to have seen it finished...

Paul, it was more a time thing. Plus, as i continued on it, the size of it made it more tricky as to where I could properly display him, once i had moved.

So. I found him a good home, and he's done (hopefully), up in the San Fran area.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
That's sweet, I love that show.  I met the guy who was inside the suit about 10 ago at a fair.  Always loved Dr. Smith, without him that show would have been nothing.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »
That's sweet, I love that show.  I met the guy who was inside the suit about 10 ago at a fair.  Always loved Dr. Smith, without him that show would have been nothing.

Bob May, the actor who was inside the robot, passed away a few years ago, in Jan, 2009. Dick Tufeld, who provided the voice of the Robot, passed in January of 2012.

And I agree.. Dr Smith helped make the show. He was really a bad dude in the first season, determined to sabotage the Jupiter 2 expedition. But he morphed, as time went on.

Still, it was good that his character remained, as he was initially supposed to be a short lived on the show.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
I loved this episode. Classic B/W!

And Season 1, when their FX budget was a little more solid. ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
It was always one of the episodes that stood out in my child's memory.. :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Me too..

The other strong memory are the tracking shots of the Jupiter 2, as it was flying through what looked like the Grand Canyon as it was coming in for those rough landings, once it had entered a planet's atmosphere. These scenes were shot outdoors, but Im telling you, all these years later, i would swear i was watching a full size ship traveling in the sky. Great FX and photography!  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
I'm thinking I may need a re-vist to the show, but any episodes I have are on tape.. Maybe youtube is the cheap way.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
I actually have Season One on DVD but they were tucked away and half forgotten about. I think i've watched maybe one episode from the set, up till now. The rest have yet to be viewed, even once.

I just pulled out the set and will be sure to give them a go, too!

:D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:10:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »
Someone was thinking about remaking the series a few years back for TV, nothing ever came of it though.  Would have been interesting if done right.  I miss not having a space show, for the first 20 years of my life I had a fresh Star Trek series to watch, even the last incarnation, Enterprise, overall wasn't half bad. I just can't get into any of the low budget stuff "SyFy" puts out.  I loved how unbelievably campy Lost In Space was, and how they used shrink wrap all the time for set material.  I have the whole series on DVD really need to break those out and watch it again, good memories, even though I wasn't alive when it aired I used to come home from school and watch the reruns on TV, Lost In Space and Wild Wild West, classic shows.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
The FX and sets got more cheap and cheesy looking, as the shows went on and they cut corners on all aspects of production. The almighty bottom line, you know..  :P

Thats why Season One stands out, imo, as the definitive. These episodes were what the show was supposed to be about, before all the campiness and actors dressed in carrot suits, were introduced..lol

Season One was dark, edgy sci fi, and the plots, for what they were, had "meat on the bone." It wasnt anything like all fluff and silliness that showed up down the road.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
The FX and sets got more cheap and cheesy looking, as the shows went on and they cut corners on all aspects of production. The almighty bottom line, you know..  :P

Thats why Season One stands out, imo, as the definitive. These episodes were what the show was supposed to be about, before all the campiness and actors dressed in carrot suits, were introduced..lol

Season One was dark, edgy sci fi, and the plots, for what they were, had "meat on the bone." It wasnt anything like all fluff and silliness that showed up down the road.  ;)

With old shows, like Lost In Space, I didn't mind the cheesiness.  Maybe my thoughts would be different re-watching it now, but I actually always preferred the campy episodes to the first season.  A year back I started watching Dark Shadows, that show is a kick to watch just because it's so awful at times with the boom mike showing up in the camera and people forgetting their lines.  You can't recreate that kind of stuff anymore.  Low budget now a days just isn't the same.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »
With old shows, like Lost In Space, I didn't mind the cheesiness.  Maybe my thoughts would be different re-watching it now, but I actually always preferred the campy episodes to the first season.  A year back I started watching Dark Shadows, that show is a kick to watch just because it's so awful at times with the boom mike showing up in the camera and people forgetting their lines.  You can't recreate that kind of stuff anymore.  Low budget now a days just isn't the same.

Dark Shadows... another fun show I remember catching on TV after school, too. The original series put the recent flicker to shame & Depp looked like a white faced clown, IMO.  :P

Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins was brilliant; and the original series' opening theme music... well.. it's just fantastic!  

cheers
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 10:40:02 PM »

Paul, the guy I sold the torso and upper sections too, is involved with space/sci-fi and fantasy film/TV conventions up north. He also bought the tread sections, but they were made of steel and aluminum and Very heavy. He made his own black, foam legs, it looks like, as mine were molded in fiberglass, and allowed for no movement. It's still missing some detail parts, but all in all, doesn't look too bad. Like any hobby, it can get pricey (the parts).

But here are a few recent pics (2015) of parts of my former B9 with a few other stragglers who hung around for a photo op with the Robot.  :D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:48:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 12:05:12 AM »
I like Robot and stragglers... Memories  sm1

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 03:28:52 AM »
Looks quite the ticket Jeff, is there a full length shot without that bunch of tourists in the way... ;)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 08:59:37 PM »
Zowie, Jeff!  I had NO IDEA you'd done something like that. Ugh. I wish he had come to live at my house,

Marta Kristen is still gorgeous!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!