Author Topic: Scathing criticism of Heritage from an elite consignor  (Read 15043 times)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Scathing criticism of Heritage from an elite consignor
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:23:33 AM »
(Courtesy of MOPO....)

You know how Heritage touts that they are "THE THIRD LARGEST AUCTION HOUSE IN THE WORLD!!"

Not that "Third Largest" is something to brag about in the first place, but there's a very good reason why they are third and will NEVER
be Number 1 or Number 2.  And by the way, they're not even a close third to Sotheby's and Christies.

Simply put, they don't know how to treat their consignors.

Heritage has "pulled" some pretty backhanded stunts over the years and I've kept relatively quiet about it
but after the latest one today, I've pretty much had it.

An incredibly rare and valuable poster that I own was being shipped back to me last Monday, according to Grey Smith.

I will return to you Monday and this can wait until you care to auction.

That was Monday, June 17th.  Today is the 25th and I still don't have the poster back.

When I wrote Grey asking where the poster is(and by the way, this is no $3000 Breakfast at Tiffany's, this poster is worth SIX FIGURES!!) and what the tracking number was, he said the poster was on it's way back to a restorer and it was SHIPPED TODAY!!

When I responded saying this is BS, that you clearly stated you were returning it TO ME a week ago this past Monday, he then said

"I will be happy to see if it has left yet, and if not return to you."

To which I responded

You just said it was shipped back to the restorer today?????

Now you say you still have it????

WHAT THE F_ _ _ ARE YOU STILL DOING WITH THE POSTER AFTER YOU GAVE ME YOUR WORD
IT WAS BEING SHIPPED TO ME LAST MONDAY??????????

Apparently, Grey can't keep his word when he says he's going to do something and it seems like he isn't even sure where my poster is.

Now, if this is the way they're treating someone who was has consigned some very valuable one-of-a-kind posters in the past and can't keep their word on when and to whom something is supposedly shipped or sure of where a six figure poster is, that doesn't make be feel too secure and maybe Grey needs a very long vacation??

Todd Feiertag
Tait

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: Scathing criticism of Heritage from an elite consignor
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:43:47 AM »
Wonder if it was any of these?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQgmmim_gfw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HQgmmim_gfw</a>
David

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Ha!  So the 30 day shipping policy applies to consignors as well.  (Chuckle)  Corporate ass clowns.  What do expect from people living in Dallas? 

guest4185

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »
Sad to hear, hope it sorts out.
Grey did intervene and help after my sole consignment to Heritage turned into a disaster, but I learned my lesson and never returned.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:14 PM »
Sad to hear, hope it sorts out.
Grey did intervene and help after my sole consignment to Heritage turned into a disaster, but I learned my lesson and never returned.

What happened? Did something get misplaced? Or re-routed to somewhere else, by mistake?

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
I'm not speaking for anyone else of course, but I've had nothing but good experiences with HA -- and that includes high value material as well. Same goes for Bruce, Rich and Dave. I'm actually pretty pleased regarding how many options we have.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
I understand the 'heightened concerns' involved with the whereabouts and shipping of high value posters but, even the absence of the full story, this seems like a considerable overreaction.  I guess it was the apparent nonchalantlessness of the HA reaction that got Todd fired up?
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
Oh and I still want a definition of ELITE vis-a-vis poster collecting please...I need to know how to define myself and my collection based on others' relative stature
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:02:38 PM by CSM »
Chris

Matt

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
I need to know how to define myself and my collection based on others' relative stature

Despicable, abhorrent, abject, abominable, bad, beggarly, cheap, crass, currish, degenerate, despisable, detestable, dirty, disgusting, hateful, heel, ignoble, ignominious, inferior, low, low-down, lowest, mean, odious, outcast, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, poor, sad, scummy, scurvy, shabby, sordid, swinish, unworthy, vile, worthless, wretched..........................you asked for it. :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
Oh and I still want a definition of ELITE vis-a-vis poster collecting please...I need to know how to define myself and my collection based on others' relative stature

It's all relative.  You may collect daybills at an elite level, but in terms of the overall pecking order... everyone but the Mexican lobby collectors are laughing behind your back.  Make sense now?   ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »

Despicable, abhorrent, abject, abominable, bad, beggarly, cheap, crass, currish, degenerate, despisable, detestable, dirty, disgusting, hateful, heel, ignoble, ignominious, inferior, low, low-down, lowest, mean, odious, outcast, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, poor, sad, scummy, scurvy, shabby, sordid, swinish, unworthy, vile, worthless, wretched..........................you asked for it. :P

Geez and here I thought you were rattling off a description of Ozlanders!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
It's all relative.  You may collect daybills at an elite level, but in terms of the overall pecking order... everyone but the Mexican lobby collectors are laughing behind your back.  Make sense now?   ;D

Whoa...hang on a sec - there are Mexican lobby card collectors!?  :o
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
Good point.  Maybe they are more of reluctant owners/hopeful sellers!

And I guess that means everyone is laughing behind your back  ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Good point.  Maybe they are more of reluctant owners/hopeful sellers!

And I guess that means everyone is laughing behind your back  ;D

The more the merrier - let's get a Round going - you start!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
It's all relative.  You may collect daybills at an elite level, but in terms of the overall pecking order... everyone but the Mexican lobby collectors are laughing behind your back.  Make sense now?   ;D

Oooh, that was cold.
Well played.
 clap
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:35:57 PM by brude »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

I'd define your film noir collection as 'elite.'
It's bitchin' dude.
 cheers

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »

;D

I think in order to be an elite collector you have to a collection valued at over 500,000 billion dollars.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
;D

I think in order to be an elite collector you have to a collection valued at over 500,000 billion dollars.

I plan to, that makes me elite-elect? I should therefore also be allowed in to the club...
David

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
David you are Bella elite.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
It's easy, you just have to look at it from the other direction.  Non-elite collectors are everybody but yourself.

Now if you peasants will excuse me, I have to go stand naked in front of a mirror with a few non-daybills from my l33T (please note proper spelling) collection.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

guest4185

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
What happened? Did something get misplaced? Or re-routed to somewhere else, by mistake?

The two items I consigned were sent somewhere for restoration. Both sold for around $500 - substantially below the HA estimates - and I finished up owing money for restoration but it turns out I was double-charged for the restoration. After much stress it was eventually solved and I got an apology from Grey which was accepted.
However, when I later purchased items the restoration `debt' kept returning. It was cleared again  but then happened a third time, plus interest was being added.
More apologies.
Then I was double-charged for postage on an item, told I had not paid for a lobby card when I could show them my credit card to prove I had, then an item was supposedly posted and I had supposedly signed for it but it was still sitting somewhere in the vaults in Dallas.
That was when I gave up.
I know many other Australian collectors have had problems too.
Never a major problem with Bruce, Rich, MPE or hundreds of exchanges on eBay, and if there were minor hassles they were quickly sorted.
Sad because they have some great items

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
I understand the 'heightened concerns' involved with the whereabouts and shipping of high value posters but, even the absence of the full story, this seems like a considerable overreaction.

I agree witth that statement. this is what I see also

people who have a better collection than you

so in other words. only posterratz is beneath you

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »
Never a major problem with Bruce

Did you ever have even a MINOR problem of any kind with us, and if you did, did I not make certain it was resolved in a way that made you happy?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
I'd define your film noir collection as 'elite.'
It's bitchin' dude.
 cheers

'5 star elite'?  ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!