Author Topic: October 2012  (Read 13770 times)

Charlie

October 2012
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

Ok. Great story here.  My birthday present was tix to see Norah Jones.  In Hindsight I should have gotten the Austin tix on my real BD, the 19th, as to hit up the Mondo gallery to profit off that BS... Oh well.  

Anyway so she came to Houston on the 20th and we went, got buzzed, had a great time, etc....  But, since I am a sentimental type of guy, I always like to take something along from an event.  Well, all they had were these silly and overly-girly 'heart' tees for sale.  Where are the concert posters?  Every concert I've ever been too (except maybe the Doobie Brothers) had concert posters for sale!  Nope.  

Well on the way in, I had seen, in the box office window, the poster above.  So after the show, I am trying to bribe this attendant (offering cash) if he could get one of these posters for me.  He informs me that the only person who can get in the box office had already left...  :'(  So I ask him when does the box office open... 12:00 Monday (great I am on Staycay next week)...    I just knew in my heart that I wasn't going to find one of those posters and I sure as heck wasn't going to wear one of those tees (insult to manhood  uhno)

I checked the Bay this morning and nothing (poster-wise) for the Houston gig...

So after my morning fun, since I am on my staycay I can do what ever I want - why not back some daybills  bed1:

Perks to play, you know!

Stay with me now!

I call up the box office and half make up a story that this attendant said I could possibly get one if I showed up on Monday.  

He says "Sure."  
Me: "Will you hold one?"
Him: "Yeah, if anyone asks I'll say a couple are already spoken for."
Me: "Sweet! I am on my way."

So I drive all the way downtown, park in the theater district parking garage... How the heck am I going to find this place (we did valet night of)?  I take the first stair and boom I am right in front of the damn thing.  First day of staycay just keeps getting better!  I run in.  The guy then tells me I can take all four.  Even Better! Should I leave one?  "Nah", he says. Guilt free!

I run back down and it keeps getting better - it was so quick, I didn't even have to pay for parking (<10 min)...

Then after 3 and half hours of Hatfields and McCoys  8) (baby is at school right...)  I run to the Hobby Lobby and find some make it yourself frames and actual acrylic (16" x 20") and frame it (next to my now dry daybills that turned out spot on) and hang it up!

Only thing that could make the evening better is a few glasses of wine and seeing Obama slap Mitt around a bit. Success!

Hope Staycay Day 2 is just as good....

Which leaves me to a question - Should I put the other three on eBay, so those like me at least has a shot at one? - maybe even free ship if you show me your ticket or something...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:56:45 AM by Charlie »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: October 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »
Your question leads me to another, WTF is Staycay?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »
Your question leads me to another, WTF is Staycay?

A vacation where you don't go anywhere but instead just 'stay' at home and do what ever you want.  I actually think it is even better than a real vacation, since you have no real plans at all - all spontaneous...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:03:08 AM by Charlie »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:46:04 AM »
1. Thanks Ari - I was going to ask the same question!

2. Nice story, Charlie, good result. Maybe give them away, or ebay them for a charity.
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Picked up this U.K. 12Sht I'm guessing late 20's maybe 1930...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Wish I could meet Admiral Beecham ;)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
That's quite the art on that poster, Paul.  Where did you find it?
Congrats.
 cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
That old cliché, I found it on Ebay...   When I did a quick check of the history, Will Murray (who is the fellow in Drag, bottom right) Set up a
Troupe call Casey's Court, in around 1906. I know Chaplin was part of the group, and Tommy Trinder. There was speculation Stan Laurel was
also, but I can't find any evidence to back up Stan worked with them.
There's a bit more history behind the Troupe, like it's where the saying, "it's like Casey's Court" comes from. So it was worth getting just
as a historical piece...  My dad uses "It's like Casey's Court" quite often.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...