Author Topic: How do I transfer DVD soundtracks to CD??  (Read 18187 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
How do I transfer DVD soundtracks to CD??
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »
I was wondering if any of or clever tech guy's on here know how to transfer a DVD sound track on to a CD?

I thought it was going to be simple, but No. It seems a right chew on, unless you know what your doing eyeroll. Do I
need a specific program for my computer, or is there another way. Any help here would be jollyfine.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: How do I transfer DVD soundtracks to CD??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
You are wanting the entire soundtrack (the mixed dialogue, FX and MX tracks) all onto a CD?

(As opposed to the isolated tracks themselves)  :)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:22:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
The full soundtrack Jeff, from opening credits to closers, and all in between.

I have loads of film soundtracks on cassette tape, but my player is coming towards it's end, so I'm thinking of transferring them from DVD to CD. instead of Cassette.

Why... Well, If I'm tired late on, I play the films soundtracks, whilst nodding off, it's great you should try it.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:29:04 PM by paul waines »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
Paul.. I have hundreds of film soundtracks.. but they are just the music (score, songs or combo), not the final mix down of all 3 tracks so that's why I wanted to make sure what u meant.  ;)

So it's like you have a film on CD (book on CD idea).  :D

There are DVD ripping programs for both Mac and PC. Or are you wanting to try it without having to buy additional software?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
There is a way using Quicktime, but I think it would be time consuming.

I think the stand alone app might be the better way to go.  thumbup

-Jeff

Through the Stones

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:55:58 PM »
If you google ripping audio from DVD you get a bunch of how to's that go along with various free software downloads.  The problem of course being which free software is safe and not full of malware and all that.  Looks like DVD Audio Extractor is pretty decent.  You could also look up DVD riping software and rip the entire thing (video and audio) to your machine and then see if you can save out the audio files that way. 

One tool I love to use is http://www.youtube-mp3.org/  Just find the Youtube video you want the audio ripped from, copy the hyper link and paste into the window provided and it will convert to an mp3 on the fly.  Then you just choose to download it.  I've used it several times for live recordings of music.

Good luck!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
I'mToo: http://www.imtoo.com/

Truck loads of different converters, I've paid for a couple of programs so it does work
David

guest8

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:45:57 AM »
I don't think ripping the audio would be the hard part .. that would more be finding a program that can rip it to a certain file type and quality that another program can then convert it into an audio CD and on top of that make it all fit on one disc.

I dont have any disc handy to test with at the moment.. But I see in DVDFab that their is an audio.mp3 rip format. I never realized it was there before. :) It may be capable of ripping to an MP3 and then depending on quality and length you could burn it to a CD with Windows Media Player or maybe even DVDFab itself. 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
Yikes, remember the days of just using a cable from one thing to another... No wonder I'm having trouble. :-\

guest8

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
haha ... well if you dont mind doing it in real time and having a slight degradation of quality .. You could disable/unplug any microphone you have on your computer and use the windows built in program Sound Recorder .. all you do is start playing the movie on your computer and hit start recording in sound recorder and stop when it's done and it will save the file into a WMA audio track.

Now .. there are no settings or adjustments or anything .. all you can do with Sound Recorder is Start and Stop recording. So the file size could end up too large to fit into one CD if you use something like media player to burn it to a disc. Then again I'm sure theres an Audio CD creator program that can adjust the bit rate and other quality settings to make them fit onto one CD.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
Is this any good, I hate downloading free stuff, you never know..
And will it work with a Mac..?

http://dvd-mp3.org/index.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:36:32 PM by paul waines »

guest8

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
That install just fine on Win7 x64... but that particular download is not for a MAC. If you only have a MAC then I would expect to shell out some money for a program that does 1000% more than what you need it to do. Thats another good thing about Windows there are so many program developers that design stuff for free .. Its not that easy with Apple.. you have to "kiss the ring" with them.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
I still have a Windows laptop, will it work on that one, or do I need bigger storage on it..

guest8

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
I still have a Windows laptop, will it work on that one, or do I need bigger storage on it..

I have no idea, there doesn't seem to be any options to adjust quality and I don't have a DVD to test with. It would be one of those things where you just have to try it and see how it works. I wouldn't expect a DVD audio track that was converted to mp3 to be much larger than 400MB.. if that??

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »
Jollyfine, I will give it a go...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
I did a small test, converting the audio from a DVD quality vid clip.

The clip ran 3 minutes 10 seconds.

The converted mp3 audio file size is 2.9MB

So if you converted a 120 min movie, for example, that works out to about 116MB.

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
I did a small test, converting the audio from a DVD quality vid clip.

The clip ran 3 minutes 10 seconds.

The converted mp3 audio file size is 2.9MB

So if you converted a 120 min movie, for example, that works out to about 116MB.

That's not bad .. lower quality than I was hoping .. but it'll get the job done.

Now will this be playing as an Audio CD or can you play just MP3 and be just fine? If it has to be an Audio CD there's a whole different conversion that still needs to be done and that one can bloat the size so as it will not fit on a standard CD.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
That's not bad .. lower quality than I was hoping .. but it'll get the job done.

Now will this be playing as an Audio CD or can you play just MP3 and be just fine? If it has to be an Audio CD there's a whole different conversion that still needs to be done and that one can bloat the size so as it will not fit on a standard CD.

And considering that some CD-Rs can hold a maximum of 80 min (as opposed to the more standard 74 min) of converted audio, there is that limitation to consider.

Even though there are a few companies that manufacture 90 min and 99 min capacity CD-Rs, there could be compatibility issues, in some cases, with these.

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
Yeah, after a brief search there doesnt seem to be anything that will allow you to fit more than the stated amount of Audio onto a CD unless you burn it as an MP3 file.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
Are we still talking English.... :-\

So I can't fit more than 80 mins on to a CD-R?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »

Yes, Paul.  80 min, max, of audio running time.  :)

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »

Yes, ... IF... it is formatted as a true Audio CD, meaning if you put it in a standard CD player it will play music. Your only option is to copy an MP3 file to a CD and play it on a computer or an MP3 compatible CD player. Which now-a-days is fairly common.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
Yes, ... IF... it is formatted as a true Audio CD, meaning if you put it in a standard CD player it will play music. Your only option is to copy an MP3 file to a CD and play it on a computer or an MP3 compatible CD player. Which now-a-days is fairly common.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:54 AM »
I listen to movies often, well I admit last six months I stopped as. Gt some pills and I can sleep properly now. But I used to a lot, but just play the movie and listen, some movies it works really well for, the sound is enough, even if you haven't seen the film before.
Now if I d have trouble sleeping though. Listen to LIGHTS OUT or other old time radio plays, ohhhh they we good shit.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!