Author Topic: Stills - The Official Thread (Acquisitions, Authentication, General Advice)  (Read 27681 times)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
One more, then back to work. George Bancroft:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Couple of early ones, Pola Negri in the lost "Shadows of Paris" (1924):

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:49:44 PM by Louie D. »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Alice Joyce

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Pretty cool, if they all came together I would say yes, they are proofs to see how they looked. Where there a number of them and just the one bottom piece?

Exactly Louie, I purchased a lot of 17 numbered negatives, with their corresponding "proof" stills (except one) and the bottom piece. Some time later, I found a set of 5 "numbered" stills (made from the negatives purchased earlier) wich had a noticeable lesser print quality, and were probably for theater use.

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Dapper

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Wheeler & Woolsey with Raquel Torres in "So This Is Africa"

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Joan Blondell playing golf at Pebble Beach (as the snipe on the back tells us):

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
There was some discussion of stuff written on the back of a still, but here's one of Bebe Daniels I picked up which has something kinda cool on the reverse:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
I do have a few older ones, especially if they offer something interesting like this. An unidentified extra from 1963's "Irma la Douce":

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
No idea, but she looks good!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Colleen Moore hanging outside:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Buster Keaton during his troubled period at MGM:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Janet Gaynor hanging out on the beach:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Dorothy Mackaill, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and Milton Sills from the 1928 feature "The Barker":

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Here's another one for Jeff. I purchased a lot of about 25-30 images a few years back of 2 sisters who worked as extras in Hollywood movies in the late 20's. Pictured are many stars in candid situations. Here's one of 'em, Lon Chaney on the set of "The Unknown":

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
From "the sisters" photos, here they are hanging with Raoul Walsh on the set of "The Loves of Carmen" (1927):

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
One of the sisters with Dolores Del Rio:

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
and one final one before I get on with my day. One of the sisters on the set of "The Loves of Carmen" with Victor McLaglen during lunch:

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Here's another one for Jeff. I purchased a lot of about 25-30 images a few years back of 2 sisters who worked as extras in Hollywood movies in the late 20's. Pictured are many stars in candid situations. Here's one of 'em, Lon Chaney on the set of "The Unknown":

This one is great Louie!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Mirosae

Buster Keaton during his troubled period at MGM:

What a great pic.

Is that a coffee pot?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

All more great additions, Louie. Love this one!

I gotta say, too, that the drawing of Bebe Daniels on the back of her still is spot on. Louie, is the photo paper thin enough that it could have been traced from the front image? Or does it look to have been done more freehand?  It's beautiful, regardless.  bed1

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I have to say, you have some first rate stills Louie. So to cheapen the thread somewhat.... :D

And to cheapen the thread even more, these are for my fellow Hammer Fan Ari.... ;)

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
What a great pic.

Is that a coffee pot?

Beer stein. I don't know if it was a tie in with his "What, No Beer?" film he made at MGM, but most of his talkies for the company, there's at least one scene where he's visibly and audibly drunk.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
I gotta say, too, that the drawing of Bebe Daniels on the back of her still is spot on. Louie, is the photo paper thin enough that it could have been traced from the front image? Or does it look to have been done more freehand?  It's beautiful, regardless.  bed1

I assume it was done as a trace, but obviously by someone who was somewhat skillful. Still, when I got the photo, it was pretty cool to find that on the reverse.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Johnny Mack Brown taking five: