Author Topic: EBAY IDIOTS!!!!  (Read 64920 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: EBAY IDIOTS!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
3...2...1...Bruce post about eMovie gorilla-proof packaging ;)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:17:31 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
3...2...1...Bruce post about eMovie gorilla-proof packaging ;)

Troll
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »

Apparently the coach subbed him out
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »
Chris

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »
I just read all these posts. I just started selling original window cards in May.  I've sold around 15 I think. I am so scared of getting bad feedback for poor packaging or not describing the WC or photos and stills as accurately as a more experienced seller.  But I do describe every flaw I see like pin holes or tiny scratches and creases.  I don't even bother selling anything with major defects because I figure who's going to want it! I had 6 total Curse of the Werewolf WC all unused no writing but they had a good bit of brown discoloration and any small crease I disclosed.  I ended up selling the best 5 and kept the one with a hole in the upper white border.  Every single buyer knew I was knew at this and sent me a message as soon as they paid to ask that is ship it safely and gave me directions on how to ship the WC.  I still have questions if anyone knows the best way to ship WC.  I was on a eBay sellers page today.  He is a very exp seller and he had so much helpful tips on how to ship. But I was confused a bit after reading it. He said not to ship heavier cardstock posters which I guess are WC in a certain way. He said only ship the one sheets in that certain way.  I'll go back and read it. Do you know what he was talking about? I shipped two today in the same 3 in diameter mailing tube.  Office Depot only had 36 inch long and 3 in diameter was the biggest.  Well that is too long for some window cards right? That's what I've shipped all my other ones in but I want to find something that is just as sturdy but cheaper.  They are 9$ for two at Office Depot! Only 1 person so far has said the entire end of the tube was crushed when he received it and stupid me at the time didn't know about wrapping it in bubble wrap or paper.  I figured once I put the WC in the tube and it expanded to the inside of the tube that it wouldn't slide up and down the tube.  I did put bubble wrap in the bottom before sliding the WC down in it but I didn't even think about the buyer having a hard time trying to get the WC out of the tube until just recently! Is it alright to put a rubber band around the WC or will just wrapping it with bw prevent it from expanding out? Ahhh so many questions. This shouldn't be this hard but now I know to roll the WC slight smaller than the diameter of the tube.  Do you all prefer bubble wrap or something else ? And I'm so nervous about those two I mailed in the same tube today. I was too scared to put them right on top of each other and roll them up together in BW so I wrapped them separately and slid the first one in and then slid the other one in on top because the tube was 36 in long and was able to fit them that way. My get were both padded so they wouldn't rub or touch and I put a little paper on each end of the tube also.  I got plenty of insurance but one of the WC I mailed was my only Elvis Wild In The Country so if it gets damaged I can't send him a new one.  I'll just refund him but I have plenty WC for the other one he bought which was Don't Knock The Rock.  I guess I'll find out Saturday when he gets it delivered.  Did I do it right or do you all think I should have shipped it a different way.  And I do know NOT to ship in those triangular tubes but I can ship in a mailing tube and them place it inside the triangular tube since it's free and priority.  Has anyone ever use PVC pipes cut to fit a poster? I also read that on a eBay sellers page.  I have so much to learn! I don't have a few to sell.  I have at least 100 or more WC left to sell.  (  I'm keeping 1 WC for each movie though since they were my grandfathers which he acquired all this while he worked for ABC Southeastern Theater in Atlanta  Ga from the 40s-70s so he kept all these I guess because those were the movies and actors he liked. I have learned a lot in the last 2 months though and it has been really neat researching old movies and actors from those times.  Who knows, once I've sold everything, maybe I'll start collecting and selling.  I'll be starting to sell some WC, movie stills and photos on the selling forum maybe tomorrow or in a few days.  And I will gladly accept any advice you guys have! I don't wNt to be thought of as the EBAY IDIOT! Lol. Oh and look me up on eBay rileygirlsmom is my user ID which sounds really stupid for selling vintage WC and photos but I started out with that ID in 2001 when I was just buying and selling my kids clothes and things.  Can I change my user ID on eBay or do they not let us change it?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 01:20:03 AM »
I recommend using paragraphs to improve readability...  :)

By the way, yes, you can change your eBay user ID...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »

I recommend using paragraphs to improve readability...  :)

Agreed.  That is quite a story, ABC.  thumbsup.gif

Re: your packaging questions - there are several sites that have very detailed information on how to ship posters, window cards, etc.

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:05 AM »
Well I appreciate the smartass answers👍

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 03:33:44 AM »
ABC, sorry if my comment was received as being of "smart@**" content.

Good luck to you, and  welcome1 aboard.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:00:08 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
Well I appreciate the smartass answers

To be fair, while I am sure you had some good points to make, I too couldn't read your single paragraph as it was inaccessible.

Mirosae

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
ABC,

Archie and Brandon (Neo) have actually given you good tips. Both are very helpful and knowable members. They are right in pointing that there is a lot of good material out there that might help you with your query. For example on websites such as MOPO.  And as they have said, your post is a bit tricky to read (particularly on a mobile phone!) :P

I read with interest your post as I have a couple of WCs. I understand that the shipping needs vary according to the cardstock thickness of the WC. I am sure you know that some WC can be shipped out in tubes, but others need to be sent out flat.

In case this is of any help, all my WC have been shipped to me flat in a sandwich form (sandwiched x 3 times to avoid damage on transit).

1-   The WC was placed between thick cardboard that was slightly larger than the WC and into a plastic envelope.
2-   That plastic envelope was sandwiched between a thick foamcore
3-   The foamcore was sandwiched in a slightly larger thick cardboard
4-   The thick cardboard was placed inside a special box/ envelop form full of bubblewrapp to ensure that the WC didn’t bend on transit.

Mine could not be sent rolled in a tube, but maybe your WCs can. And if so, a sturdy tube with bubblewrapp should do.

In any case, collectors know how important good shipping is. I am sure that all your buyers will appreciate your efforts in getting it right!

All the best and good luck :)

R

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »
It's ok.  Sometimes messages come off completely different than intended.  I read over my novel and yes that was a lot.  I'm on my iPhone typing it.  Am I doing something wrong? And I don't normally type that much lol so no worries.   I'm just very new at all this and I have so much besides just WC. I have approx 1,000 stills and photos too that is time consuming but I don't have any problems shipping those.  I just hope I am shipping the WC right.   I've rolled all the ones I have sold and I ask the buyer if they want it rolled first.  I found that website and others so I'm learning things.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »
Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.  You're not hitting the Return key often enough.  Or, maybe type on a computer instead of a phone.

For example;

It's ok. 

Sometimes messages come off completely different[ly] than intended.  I read over my novel and yes that was a lot.  I'm on my iPhone typing it.  Am I doing something wrong?  And I don't normally type that much lol so no worries.   

I'm just very new at all this and I have so much besides just WC. I have approx 1,000 stills and photos too that is time consuming but I don't have any problems shipping those.  I just hope I am shipping the WC right.   I've rolled all the ones I have sold and I ask the buyer if they want it rolled first. 

I found that website and others so I'm learning things.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
Chris

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:10 AM »
Well I hate using computers and I'm more comfortable typing on my iPhone. Much faster.  And I do know how to use paragraphs since I did go to college for 4 years and I am a RN. I didn't think I was coming here to learn how to write again

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
So let's just drop the lack of my paragraph use. Maybe I'll just stick to one sentence from now on?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
So let's just drop the lack of my paragraph use. Maybe I'll just stick to one sentence from now on?

That's the spirit.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 04:55:05 AM »

That works for most people here.

BTW, Your writing is fine.  My comment was as much a about you as it was the typical internet reader.  People don't read anymore - they scan. Anything after four or five lines tends to get lost.  Since you seemed to have a good deal of quality info, I didn't want you to fall victim to the tl;dr (too long; didn't read) phenomenon that permeates the internet.

Also, there is a high level of kidding around that goes on APF...  :)

Looking forward to seeing the cards...

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
That works for most people here.

BTW, Your writing is fine.  My comment was as much a about you as it was the typical internet reader.  People don't read anymore - they scan. Anything after four or five lines tends to get lost.  Since you seemed to have a good deal of quality info, I didn't want you to fall victim to the tl;dr (too long; didn't read) phenomenon that permeates the internet.

Also, there is a high level of kidding around that goes on APF...  :)

Looking forward to seeing the cards...
Well I can see now why you all were making such a big deal about my long post. I just read it or looked at it actually and I couldn't read it after 3 sentences! I guess I didn't think about most of you guys using your computers for this forum. Oh, I am going to post some pics of my window cards today, if I can figure the photobucket thing out! So, keep an eye out!

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »
I posted my pictures in the for sale section. I had to use drop box from my phone and it worked! There are still a few window cards I don't have pics of yet though.

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »
Hello ABC.
I agree with Rosa. Cardstock really should be shipped flat. When you roll them there is a danger of creating creases, or adding to the ones that already exist. As Rosa mentioned, there's places to walk you thru this process. You're basically putting the card in plastic to prevent water damage and sandwiching it with hard boards to prevent bending. It's not hard.
I would stay away from those office depot tubes. They're not strong enough and can be crushed rather easily. If you continue using these there will be more casualties. I would start shipping them flat.
If you're unsure about something just ask...somebody will help you out.

Brown spots? That could be "foxing". Basically, brown, or reddish brown spots that can develop over time due to age and other factors within the paper. It can also spread. I would separate those from the healthy cards just to be sure.

Never use rubber bands. They create creases.
PVC is a great material to use for shipping "rollable" material.

Anthony

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
Lori, you should generally ship window cards flat although some later ones can be rolled, though it is never my preference

ship them flat, between 4 solid pieces of slightly oversized cardboard
never use cardboard that is too thin and after you make a nice package, you should be able to hold it out from yourself (holding the short sides) and pressing it against your body it should not bend and feel much like a piece of wood.

it's the only way to make sure they arrive safely. If it will bend.. use more cardboard

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
^ In addition to the cardboard support and extra support, I like to wrap the whole thing in kraft paper.

Keeps everything together nicely and helps with any sort of mishandling moisture on the part of the USPS>
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

ABCwindowcards

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
Oh lord I may have made a mistake then when I took 8 window cards to the ups store today.  I told him to mail them flat but I didn't tell him to do all that with the craft paper and putting 4 extra pieces of card board between.  I hope the ups man did it carefully! I really need to sell all these soon cause I suck at shipping! Rich I'm calling you tomorrow evening!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »
Oh lord I may have made a mistake then when I took 8 window cards to the ups store today.  I told him to mail them flat but I didn't tell him to do all that with the craft paper and putting 4 extra pieces of card board between.  I hope the ups man did it carefully! I really need to sell all these soon cause I suck at shipping! Rich I'm calling you tomorrow evening!

Yikes! Get ready for some refunds. I honestly think given your shipping difficulties, your best bet would be consigning to Rich or someone else. Then you won't have to worry about shipping.