Author Topic: Original Art/Photos and the Resulting Poster  (Read 15269 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Original Art/Photos and the Resulting Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
Ted...that is one FANTASTIC pic!!! GREAT FIND!!!   bed1

clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
It is quite the image, isn't it?
Arguably one of the finest cheesecake movie posters of all time.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
That's great Ted!  Clearly also inspired the re-release daybill:

Chris

Through the Stones

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
I can't post pics cause I'm at work but does Drew Struzan's entire website count?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 01:50:59 AM »
Such a great movie.. (The Horror of) Dracula (1958) - title depending on the country of release.

I always have really liked the Guy Gerard Noel art that was done for the medium size French poster. It's interesting (to me) that the image of Christopher Lee used on the poster is from a scene right at the end of the film, when Dracula is just about to fall back into the sunlight (And Die), while cowering from Dr. Van Helsing (Cushing), who is forcing him into the light with 2 candlesticks held in the shape of a cross.

But it is a great image of Lee, that's for sure. (The portrayed damsel is, well, just OK, imho).

I hope to snag one of these posters   --  one day.  >:D  prayer.gif  girly2.gif

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:39:39 AM by eatbrie »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:56 AM »
Hey T, how long ago did you snag your copy of the medium French size version of Horror of Dracula?

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 03:36:59 AM »
6/15/2009 in Paris.  Pretty hard to find folded, I think.  Mine is in absolute mint condition.  One of my favs.

T

Btw, I replaced your horrible picture with a copy of my poster.  If I own it and the picture is good, please use it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:40:40 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, T, and will do, in the future, with a notation saying that any photo of yours is courtesy of "The Brie Collection."  ;D

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the info, T, and will do, in the future, with a notation saying that any photo of yours is courtesy of "The Brie Collection."  ;D

I don't need a notation, because if one day I decide to yank all my photos from the forum, you're left with Brie Collection all over.

;)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Fair enough. And if you do ever decide to watermark them, could you not spray it right across the main image?   8)

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Fair enough. And if you do ever decide to watermark them, could you not spray it right across the main image?   8)

I'm not touching this.  Your fight, buddy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
No..i mean some folks like member DarvishJO had put a rather bold watermark on the pics of his he posted here, and I recall a number of posts from members why they were placed smack in the middle of the poster image, kind of obliterating parts of the art.

He explained, of course, his reasoning, and I could appreciate that; whether folks liked the marks or not was secondary, in his POV.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:21:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:50 AM »
This is the thread I was referring to:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9421.0.html

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
I have an on-line gallery on Comic Art Fans that has its own sub-gallery devoted to my (growing) movie poster original art collection at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

If you click onto the 'Movie Poster Artwork' under the 'Terry Doyle's Gallery Rooms' section you will see all my movie stuff.

If you click onto each thumbnail image, you will see large-sized scans, together with the option to see additional images that show how the artwork looked in print, together with foreign variations of the movie poster campaigns.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
I'll be getting in a few more movie poster original paintings next week.  One of these will be British artist Vic Fair's original concept painting for the 1980s movie, FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.  For whatever reason, Fair's design was handed over to Brian Bysouth - who handled the finished painting.

Here's a photo of Brian painting the poster art, together with a scan of the resulting printed poster.  I'll be uploading a photo of Vic Fair's concept art sometime next week, once it's reached me . . .

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »
Photo of British artist Tom Chantrell posing for a reference photo.  In the background you can see some of his framed original paintings . . . with noticeable images of Sean Connery, Bridget Bardot and Elvis the Pelvis.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
The Connery/Bardot painting was used for the British quad advance poster of SHALAKO (later replaced by a revised version of the art for the movie's general release campaign poster).

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »
New in today . . . Tom Chantrell's original movie poster painting for SHALAKO.

SHALAKO was a British 1968 Western movie directed by Edward Dmytryk, starring Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot.  It was filmed in Almería, Spain.

The cast also included Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, and Honor Blackman, Connery's co-star from GOLDFINGER. It was based on a novel by Louis L'Amour.

Producer Euan Lloyd was introduced to Louis L'Amour, author of numerous Western adventure novels, by his actor friend Alan Ladd. Over the years as Lloyd dreamed of becoming an independent producer, he kept in touch with L'Amour.  He wanted to film his 1962 novel SHALAKO.

At one time Lloyd had lined up Henry Fonda and Senta Berger to star in the film, planning to shoot it in Mexico.  Lloyd recounted that, at the time, many film distributors were reluctant to back a film starring Fonda, and increases in the cost of filming in Mexico made it impossible to pursue.

During a meeting with L'Amour, Lloyd recounted long lines at the cinemas in New York for the latest James Bond adventure film.  L'Amour remarked that Sean Connery, who starred in the role, would certainly "look tall in the saddle".  When Lloyd met Sean Connery and discussed the work with him, he learned that Connery was a Western fan since childhood. He was also keen to do the film as he had been promised $1.2 million and 30% of the profits out of the $5 million budget.  Connery was available, as he had turned down playing Bond in ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE.

Lloyd obtained the film's planned original co-star Brigitte Bardot, Bond cinematographer Ted Moore, and Bond stuntman and action scene arranger Bob Simmons.

Bardot was paid $400,000 plus 12.5% of the profits.

Once Lloyd had Connery on board, many European and other film distributors were keen to finance the film.  Distributors in 35 different countries agreed to provide promissory notes worth $5 million payable on delivery of the film. This enabled Lloyd to raise the $3 million necessary to start production and to sign Connery and Bardot.  $1,455,000 came from ABC in the USA, with $2 million from elsewhere.  Dimitri de Grunwald became involved in helping finance.

The film was shot in Almería, Spain. Whilst scouting locations when planning to film in the United States, Lloyd had noticed that many Native Americans were overweight. He did not think they looked menacing enough.  Simmons recruited a "war party" of lean and mean Romani people (gypsies), whom he trained to ride and act like war-bent Apaches.

Simmons talked Connery into shaving off the droopy moustache which he had grown for the historic period. The investors perhaps remembered Gregory Peck's moustache in THE GUNFIGHTER, which was believed to have discouraged some of the public from attending. They feared the same might happen with SHALAKO.

Almería province was a favoured location for filming spaghetti Westerns.  But, when SHALAKO was in production, Harry Saltzman's Second World War film, PLAY DIRTY, set in the Libyan Desert, was being filmed on the same locations. One film crew had to wipe out the tyre tracks in the sand before filming the Old West, whilst the other had to pick up the horse droppings before shooting the Second World War battles.  Once the gypsy Apaches, mounted on horseback, rode by mistake headlong into an attack on a Long Range Desert Group!
Lloyd gathered a strong international cast, including Connery's former co-star Honor Blackman from GOLDFINGER, as well as Jack Hawkins, Stephen Boyd, Woody Strode, Peter van Eyck, Alexander Knox, Eric Sykes and Don Barry.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Cracking stuff.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2017, 03:56:43 AM »
I like how he managed to sneak Eric Sykes into the bottom corner of the poster. Maybe you could only get away with such an unusual cast combination in a western - although as I recall it was an uncomfortable combination that didn't really work on the screen. Great artwork though.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2017, 11:03:47 PM »
Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)

The art of Ms Adams on the OS was adjusted from the photo, as she was (a) overdressed and (b) her hands and arms were "in the way."  ;D

Plus, a water theme and background works better, too.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:05:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:18 AM »
Good info Jeff,.....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
When artist Bruno Rehak designed this German RR poster for Frankenstein in the 1950's, the image of Karloff was also based on an earlier publicity still. Only problem was that the image used of Karloff was of him as the Monster from Son Of Frankenstein in 1939, and not one from the original 1931 flicker.  Doh.gif

The artist thinned Karloff's face slightly for the poster, but the image is basically unchanged.

-Jeff