Author Topic: The History of the Hobby  (Read 82177 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: The History of the Hobby
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »
Here is some info, mixed in with much other stuff (I wrote it 15 years ago, so some of it is wrong, as I have learned much since then).

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/Articles-Movie-Posters.html

Pretty sorry Bruce, linking to a 15 year old article.  Expected more from an old-timer.....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »
Pretty sorry Bruce, linking to a 15 year old article.  Expected more from an old-timer.....

I'm not too sorry Bruce, I'd rather Bruce spend his time preparing the partial daybill auction that starts in under 24 hours.  :D

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »
Did you ever find this Charles Dyas story Bruce?  I would love to read it and I also have a hazy memory of you mentioning the "Alhambra" find...I have never read anything about it either....
Tait

Bruce

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »
Nope, never did! I have still been too busy to write a new one (auctioning 110,000 items a year for four million dollars is more time consuming than you might imagine!).

What is this Alhambra find?

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »
I hear ya Bruce...I admire your hard work...I wish there was an undertaking to merge a list of the major finds and each poster on the list...

The Alhambra theatre find pops up from time to time....I've only seen it attributed to window cards simply because of the imprint area....It's referred to as the "Classic" or "Famous" Alhambra find...but any info is elusive...I think in your ebay days you had some window cards at one point as well...

here is a typical description

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=624&lotIdNo=31087
Tait

Bruce

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
That's a comic book technique to increase value. It worked there, in this hobby, hardly at all.

Another great window card find was the Crescent Theater in Pontiac, Michigan.

I think the best find ever was the one I sold over a ten year period. Someday I will write out THAT story. The funny part is that it was the best ever, even though 90% of it was destroyed!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Here's an original Albin Grau rough sketch/watercolor done for the NOSFERATU (1922) advertising and/or poster campaign. It's simply a beautiful piece of poster history that has also managed to survive wars etc.  :)

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
That is an amazing piece of art, Jeff.
I'm an admirer of all things Nosferatu and Grau and I haven't seen that one before.

I like it better than any of his others for the film.
Including this menacing image...

http://beautiful-grotesque.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-art-of-albin-grau.html

Offline movieart.com

• Collector
    • Kirby McDaniel MovieArt
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »
Someone should tell the tale of the Royal Theater Collection in all its lurid glory.  It was 25 odd years ago, and still it is the most amazing story.  I was there for some of it.  I used to remember a lot about it, but it's been too long.  A while back I got a phone call from a young lady in Canada whose father had owned the Royal.  She wanted to know what I knew -- and I was chagrined to find out how I didn't remember all the details I once knew.  The hobby does need a diarist / memorialist to write down all the foibles and adventures. 

Here are the people who most helped / influenced / assisted / encouraged / argued with / suffered misunderstandings / made up with me:  Jose Carpio, Channing Thomson, Morrie Everett, Bruce Hershenson, Joe Burtis, Mike Orlando, Walter Reuben, Jon Warren, Ira Resnick, Sam Sarowitz, Ron Moore, Gary Vaughn, Lou Ann Wooley, Tony Nourmand, Bruce Marchant, Richard Allen,  Jean-Louis Capitaine, Mike Kaplan, Marty Davis.  These are the old-timers and its actually a quite wonderful group.  I have tons of pictures and I should probably start posting some.  Kirby
Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters
P.O. Box 50292
Austin TX USA 78763-0292
www.movieart.com
posters@movieart.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »
Someone should tell the tale of the Royal Theater Collection in all its lurid glory.  It was 25 odd years ago, and still it is the most amazing story.  I was there for some of it.  I used to remember a lot about it, but it's been too long.  A while back I got a phone call from a young lady in Canada whose father had owned the Royal.  She wanted to know what I knew -- and I was chagrined to find out how I didn't remember all the details I once knew.  The hobby does need a diarist / memorialist to write down all the foibles and adventures. 

Here are the people who most helped / influenced / assisted / encouraged / argued with / suffered misunderstandings / made up with me:  Jose Carpio, Channing Thomson, Morrie Everett, Bruce Hershenson, Joe Burtis, Mike Orlando, Walter Reuben, Jon Warren, Ira Resnick, Sam Sarowitz, Ron Moore, Gary Vaughn, Lou Ann Wooley, Tony Nourmand, Bruce Marchant, Richard Allen,  Jean-Louis Capitaine, Mike Kaplan, Marty Davis.  These are the old-timers and its actually a quite wonderful group.  I have tons of pictures and I should probably start posting some.  Kirby

Please do post photos and say what is accurate/inaccurate about Warren's version:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5773.msg110993.html#msg110993

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
Please do post photos and say what is accurate/inaccurate about Warren's version:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5773.msg110993.html#msg110993

This.

And I want know know the Frankie 6sh story.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
This.

And I want know know the Frankie 6sh story.

I'd love the full truth on both as well but fear that will never truly happen given all the apparent nefarious elements to both events (stories?)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:11:07 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
I thought the Frankie 6sht story was common knowledge amongst us Poster fellows..?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
Isn't he referring to a second Frankie?

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
I thought the Frankie 6sht story was common knowledge amongst us Poster fellows..?

Not the TRUE story
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
Oooh, sounds exciting...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
I believe Jon's statement on the Royal Theatre Collection is either 100% or nearly 100% correct seeing as he was one of the principals to the deal.

It is an interesting story

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
I'd still like to see photos. Kinda like this:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:56:07 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
By pure coincidence somebody offered to sell a War of the Worlds one sheet that he claims his brother "rescued from an abandoned theater in North Carolina."  Unfortunately, he had it dry-mounted. Oof..... 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Oof, indeed.

I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
So what's it worth DM'd?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »
Dunno, few bills?

Depends on how thick the board is, and when it was done. That will determine how much it will cost to demount, if it is even possible. Will probably have to be lightly sanded from the back side, working backwards.

I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
half price

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
This forum makes hobby history on a weekly basis.

APF is #1  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
Jon Warren's text on the "Royal Theater Collection":

The Royal Theater Collection -- Jon R. Warren
--------------------------------------------------------

Kirby, Sol Candell, Bruce, Morris and (if he reads MPT) Todd will have fun contributing to this thread and reminiscing about this great find.

.....After some convincing and arm twisting (they came into the deal kicking and screaming) they agreed to put in enough money to make a realistic bid. Steve Geppi was the largest investor, I was second, Steve Fishler was third, and Mark Wilson was the fourth investor. The gossip and grapevine rattling surrounding the rumors of who was bidding and how much they were going to bid is a story unto itself. We were trying to reconnoiter bids so that we could top the second bid by the least amount possible. But it was Steve Geppi who said, to hell with it, let's not gamble, bid enough that we get it and don't worry about bidding too much more than the second guy......

Geppi runs a private museum in nearby Baltimore:

http://www.geppismuseum.com/Home/7/1/52/500

Looks like he gave a tour recently and you can see some movie posters in the background: