Author Topic: Pictures of posters in action  (Read 303176 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Pictures of posters in action
« Reply #725 on: June 05, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Im sure a lot of this original, painted lobby art got tossed as soon as the movie closed. I'd love to know if this one was one of the lucky pieces that managed to survive. And if so, where it might be now.

Jeff, I've seen a few pieces of this painted lobby art at antique and junk shops over the years.  There was one I should have bought at an antique shop about 20 years ago for a  rerelease of one of the Charlie Chaplin movies.  I was just about to finish graduate school and the art was about $100. The painted art was gigantic as well and I wasn't sure how to get it home.  Oh, well.  Though, not quite as good of a story as the time I passed on an original Steve Ditko Dr. Strange page from the good doctor's first appearance in Strange Tales #110. I'm sure we all have some of those stories with hindsight being what it is and all, eh?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #726 on: June 05, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
Jeff, I've seen a few pieces of this painted lobby art at antique and junk shops over the years.  There was one I should have bought at an antique shop about 20 years ago for a  rerelease of one of the Charlie Chaplin movies.  I was just about to finish graduate school and the art was about $100. The painted art was gigantic as well and I wasn't sure how to get it home.  Oh, well.  Though, not quite as good of a story as the time I passed on an original Steve Ditko Dr. Strange page from the good doctor's first appearance in Strange Tales #110. I'm sure we all have some of those stories with hindsight being what it is and all, eh?  Okie

Okie,

I snapped a handful of pix of a number of these hand painted posters that TCM/Bohnams had for auction several years ago, when they were on display here, before the auction took place in NYC.

I will dig them out and post them here. Some were true works of art, no question about that.

To bad you didint snag the one you tripped across. Do you recall what the imagery was? Or was it of Chaplin himself?

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #727 on: June 05, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
Okie,

I snapped a handful of pix of a number of these hand painted posters that TCM/Bohnams had for auction several years ago, when they were on display here, before the auction took place in NYC.

I will dig them out and post them here. Some were true works of art, no question about that.

To bad you didint snag the one you tripped across. Do you recall what the imagery was? Or was it of Chaplin himself?

Jeff, It had a large painted image of Chaplin and a few props and some fancy lettering.  I think it was for a couple of Chaplin films being shown back to back.  Okie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #728 on: August 01, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
20180801_015119, on Flickr

Cool self-portrait of Ms.Maier with these wildings.  I happened to see this shot on the VivianMaier.com website.  You can see her shadow on the left, while she is taking the photo.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:08:48 AM by Neo »

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #729 on: August 01, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
Nice shot by Vivian Meier, I didn't realize that she had done works in color.  The documentary that came out a few years ago about how her work, which was never publicly exhibited during her lifetime, was discovered posthumously is pretty great. 

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #730 on: August 01, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
It was truly an exceptional documentary.  She had such a unique eye.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
Yeah, most of her film was black & white, which makes her few color shots even more remarkable, IMO.

I think Ms. Maier will be remembered as one of the best photographers, and will continue to inspire many other street photographers to capture fleeting moments in time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:09:15 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
And there was a great looking poster made for the docu, too, Ben, using one of her self portrait images (re-posting here, in case you hadnt seen the OS):

Finding Vivian Maier (2013)

The fascinating, AA nominated documentary about nanny, Vivian Maier, and her unknown world of street photography. Director John Maloof bought a box of negatives in 2007, when he was looking for photos on a real estate book he was working on. What he discovered was a treasure trove of never before seen or printed works by this rather eccentric woman. Everyone she worked for knew next to nothing about her, as well..

An interesting watch, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #733 on: August 01, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »
Theater enrty way display.

THE MUMMY
-- HUGE head display -- and in the left corner, a OS poster for THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS with Charles Laughton. I'm nor sure what movie the 3rd poster on the far left, is for.

The Karloff head looks taller than the doors leading into the theater.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #734 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
Theater enrty way display.

THE MUMMY
-- HUGE head display -- and in the left corner, a OS poster for THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS with Charles Laughton. I'm nor sure what movie the 3rd poster on the far left, is for.

The Karloff head looks taller than the doors leading into the theater.

Incredible, Jeff!  Looks like the eyes were also given holes for lights maybe?  Amazing poster for The Island of Lost Souls as well.  How would you like to have one of those 1932 display frames to show off a one sheet at your house!?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #735 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »
Awesome looking, imho! clap  bed1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #736 on: August 02, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
They knew how to do them outdoor displays back then.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #737 on: August 02, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
Jeff,
Do you think those four Jekyll and Hyde cast three sheet looking size images are actually three sheets from the studio?  Or, do you think locally produced by the theatre? Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #738 on: August 02, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »
Hey Okie,

Here are a couple pages from the pressbook for comparison of the posters:

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #739 on: August 02, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »
Hmmm, looks like those four three sheet sized images may have been locally produced.  Thanks for the pressbook images, Jeff.  Very cool.  Okie

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #740 on: August 03, 2018, 02:49:53 AM »
Jeff,
That pressbook you posted must be from the 1935 re-release, as that insert and WC do not look like what we know to be the original release WC and insert. The logos on the poster also match the lobby cards used for the 1935 re-release.
And just like the lobbies for the re-release do, these posters look much cooler than the original release ones.

And I also believe the Jekyll and Hyde 3-sheets to be locally produced (as was the Island of Lost Souls in the Mummy photo)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #741 on: August 03, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Sean. My bad. In looking back, i see that the images above that I posted from HYDE are from the 1935 RR PB.  Doh.gif

Do you know if a copy of a first release one sheet, 3 sh (or larger) has ever been sold/auctioned before, anywhere?

Here's a 1931 PB image from HA's archive, showing the various posters that were available (click on the image to get larger size):

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:47:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #742 on: August 03, 2018, 03:06:43 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Sean. My bad. In looking back, i see that the images above that I posted from HYDE are from the 1935 RR PB.  Doh.gif

Do you know if a copy of a first release one sheet, 3 sh (or larger) has ever been sold/auctioned before, anywhere?

Here's a 1931 PB image from HA's archive, showing the various posters that were available (click on the image to get larger size):

Bruce shows he sold the B one sheet in 1994.  I don't know of another recent public sale of a large size poster other than middle seventies conventions where I remember seeing one or two, but wasn't aware enough then of which release.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #743 on: August 03, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
Bruce shows he sold the B one sheet in 1994.  I don't know of another recent public sale of a large size poster other than middle seventies conventions where I remember seeing one or two, but wasn't aware enough then of which release.  Okie

That OS is beautiful, no doubt about that.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #744 on: August 04, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »
Now if only some of the posters could be seen.  :-\

But still an awesome shot, showing the spectacle of this movie, when it opened in 1925, in NYC.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:02:14 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #745 on: August 04, 2018, 05:04:40 PM »
Wow, that is a nice Phantom shot, Jeff!  How'd ole Erik let that flapper escape?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #746 on: August 04, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
From what I read about the photo, Okie, the flapper is a comedienne named Wanda Wiley, who made quite a few comedy shorts in the 1920s.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #747 on: August 04, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »
Great history, Jeff. So, Wickedly Funny Wanda escapes Erik!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #748 on: August 04, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
Great history, Jeff. So, Wickedly Funny Wanda escapes Erik!  Okie

A better pic of Wanda