Movie Posters > General Discussion

Pictures of posters in action

(1/181) > >>

Through the Stones:
My first experience with movie posters was in the mid/late 90's when I got my first job at a local theater.  As such, I have only ever seen the teaser, one sheet, and vinyl banner in action and then it dawned on me that, even though I am now familiar with half sheets, inserts, LC, WC, 3 sheet, 6 sheet, etc... I have never really known what their main purpose was or seen them in action...

I'm assuming the vinyl banner replaced the three sheet and six sheet but where would have been the main display for the insert and half sheet?  Does anyone have any old photos of theater lobbies or other places where these would have been used?  I can't even approach the international sizes honestly because I've never been to a movie theater in a foreign country except Beirut and they just had US one sheets hanging up there.  But still, it would be cool to see pics from foreign theaters as well to see how they display or would have displayed their posters? (daybills too even though there seems to be a running gag about how horrible they are)

May be cool to see some sweet posters of history 'in action' as it were.  Thanks in advance! (no pun intended)

Russ

Charlie:
The Universal Horror thread has a bunch...

110x75:
I bought this photograph a few years back. The girls are posing in a theater hall, and in the back, argentinean one sheets for: Colleen (1936), Things to come (1935), Ya tiene comisario el pueblo (1936) and The Case of the Velvet Claws (1936).

MoviePosterBid.com:
Russ, when I was young I went to several different theatres in my native New York. Soem of these were the old palaces. These theatres would have huge displays that included 1sh, 3sh, inserts, half sheets and stills as well as an assortment of other sizes. On the right side (street side) of the Lefferts Theatre in Queens there was a billboard. 40x60s would be displayed on sandwich board displays.

It was a cornocopia of posters on display.

window cards were never displayed at any theatre I went to, as their main purpose was to be distributed to stores and supermarket for display in their windows, generally in trade for advertising at the theatres

erik1925:
Hey Russ,

Here are a handful of other marquees I quickly located showing various types of posters, billboards etc, from back in earlier times:

Plaza Theater, Piccadilly Circus, UK, 1965. Darling:

Capitol Theater on Broadway, NYC, 1939, Premier of The Wizard of Oz (I'd love to see, up close, what posters are on the wall behind the crowd):

Leicester Square Theater, 1958. Desire Under the Elms:

Times Square Movie Theater, 1962. Flame in the Streets and Black Pit of Dr. M:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version