Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2792857 times)

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #11175 on: February 25, 2024, 05:56:52 PM »

^this is funny, i thought it must be a typo but concluded just more pi$$ heads

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11176 on: February 25, 2024, 07:49:28 PM »
Good eye there, RM.  A more accurate way to describe them: buyers who didn't do their homework.

When some people see "commercial poster" they think it's a vintage printing, thus it's more rare.  There are some that are cool IMO.

This one looks like it's from Polish Poster Gallery; printed in 2007 as a "limited edition art poster."  An unknown quantity available from them for $40 each https://polishposter.com/4334-the-shining-kubrick-polish-poster.html

Posteritati has one for $250 and another place has one for $127 https://posteritati.com/poster/51286/the-shining-2007-polish-commercial-movie-poster

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11177 on: February 26, 2024, 03:05:17 PM »
I do not collect Commercial posters, however this one I wanted. Except i didn’t expect the bidding to go that high. So I ended up losing. If anyone knows where to get one, shoot me a PM. This is from a recent auction.

Offline nilsk123

• Beginner
« Reply #11178 on: February 27, 2024, 04:24:07 PM »
Good eye there, RM.  A more accurate way to describe them: buyers who didn't do their homework.

When some people see "commercial poster" they think it's a vintage printing, thus it's more rare.  There are some that are cool IMO.

This one looks like it's from Polish Poster Gallery; printed in 2007 as a "limited edition art poster."  An unknown quantity available from them for $40 each https://polishposter.com/4334-the-shining-kubrick-polish-poster.html

Posteritati has one for $250 and another place has one for $127 https://posteritati.com/poster/51286/the-shining-2007-polish-commercial-movie-poster

yep, I bought it from that polishposter site a few weeks ago. Bought and delivered to me for a total of under 50 euros. Nice poster! Not 'valuable' from a collectors perspective obviously.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11179 on: February 27, 2024, 06:56:54 PM »
That shows you what happens when two people get at it and simply won't let go.  There is no logic behind it, just the intent to not let the other guy win.  It happens all the time and auction houses thrive on it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11180 on: February 28, 2024, 02:09:34 PM »
It happens all the time and auction houses thrive on it.

T

Something selling for several times the usual amount is probably a small percentage of overall sales.  I've never had something sell this much higher than usual, especially such as in this case - a print selling for over 10 times what someone could buy it from the source.  Some unscrupulous sellers are thriving with "dropshipping" stuff like this - they don't even stock the item, they just wait for an order and have it sent to the buyer straight from the source.  However in the case of auctions, it's a weird position for a seller who may know something went way above the usual average, and may not fully agree with someone overpaying that much, but has to honor the sale.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 03:24:22 PM by Neo »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11181 on: February 29, 2024, 02:44:46 PM »
yep, I bought it from that polishposter site a few weeks ago. Bought and delivered to me for a total of under 50 euros. Nice poster! Not 'valuable' from a collectors perspective obviously.

Yeah it's very different, as many Polish artworks are.  Interesting how it features Ms. Duvall, similar to the UK quad, in such a way.  Her performance is very polarizing, including with Mr. Kubrick who was apparently very harsh toward her during filming.  Anyway, we all decide what's valuable.  Some similar prints/commercial posters have become somewhat scarce, and many folks don't treat them the same as numbered, popular, etc. prints, thus the few remaining become more collectible.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11182 on: March 02, 2024, 03:29:08 PM »
Something selling for several times the usual amount is probably a small percentage of overall sales.

I don't know if its a small percentage, but I see it happen all the time, especially on HA where bidder are anonymous, which makes it easier to not feel like an idiot when overpaying on something.  Your name is out there on Emovie so everyone knows you're the one hahaha.

If I had not set up strict parameters on my bidding habits, like how much something is worth, when too much is too much, I could have easily kept bidding on multiple items, mainly to stop "the other guy" from winning (even though I have no idea who it is and couldn't care less).  You get caught up in the excitement of the moment and there it goes.  I wouldn't pay anything for this Shining poster (I think it's horrendous) but I suspect those patterns were at play here.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11184 on: March 12, 2024, 10:50:08 PM »
All I read is “… ugly daybill” haha

Congrats Bruce.  I don’t get it, but congrats :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11185 on: March 15, 2024, 01:44:36 AM »
Were there two tangoing to win at the end of the bidding, Bruce?  Or, more?  Okie

What the...?

https://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=6709485

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11186 on: March 15, 2024, 07:56:23 PM »
Were there two tangoing to win at the end of the bidding, Bruce?  Or, more?  Okie

Top bidder: $1,860
2nd bidder: $1,810
3rd bidder: $1,350
4th bidder: $1,150
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11187 on: March 21, 2024, 03:22:19 PM »
Spring Breakers quad sold a few weeks ago:

The seller is fellow APF member AgentOrange.  Haven't seen him around here in a while but looks like he's doing well on eBay.  A lot of cool stuff he has and has sold https://www.ebay.com/usr/agentorange22

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11188 on: March 21, 2024, 05:11:06 PM »
Bonkers!!!!  A lot of $$$ out there.  I guess we're all different haha

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11189 on: March 21, 2024, 05:24:01 PM »
I don't understand the price of things.  I'm in my mid 50s and I feel like I'm lost already, especially since I don't sell.

I just saw this at Bruce's, which seems crazy to me.

I own this format, and the 55x79in, and the 27x38in which I bought for $110 (below).

I mean, it's good to know posters are going up in value, but it kinda sucks when you're a buyer.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11190 on: March 21, 2024, 07:24:29 PM »
Bonkers!!!!  A lot of $$$ out there.  I guess we're all different haha

T

I figured at least one person thinks it's OMG, LOL, etc. haha.  Personally I don't think it's that crazy, but I'm also a big fan of the movie and the artwork.

Spring Breakers is 11 years old already and I'm pretty sure there are very few of these quads out there compared to how many fans of the film there are.  A24 is also huge now compared to back then, with their recent Academy Awards and everything.

Nostalgia hits different over time, and other factors, like inflation, etc. of course.  I think the demand for a lot of stuff across several genres will continue to increase for a while.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11191 on: March 22, 2024, 09:59:02 PM »
Well, I've never seen Spring Breakers and will prob never see it.  So there is that.   I can't stand Franco and none of the actors in it interest me (well, I like Gomez in Building, but thats it.)  I'm prob too old for it haha.  But in general, the price of things just baffles me.  All good though, as I hope my kids can at the very least recoup some of the money I spent on collecting.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #11192 on: March 22, 2024, 10:31:17 PM »
But in general, the price of things just baffles me.  All good though, as I hope my kids can at the very least recoup some of the money I spent on collecting.

The way things seem to keep escalating, they WILL. It baffles my mind how crazy expensive posters have gotten. I'm still trying to get all of my stuff organized and catalogued after my move. As I am going through, I'm making mental notes of what i want to sell in the near future--things I have multiples of or that just don't do it for me any longer. Knowing what I paid for them back in the day and what I see them listed at on various spots today--WOW! Some prices are just unreal!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11193 on: March 25, 2024, 12:31:43 PM »
A Sleepaway Camp poster sold a couple days ago for best offer $375.  It sold a few hours after it was listed.  A little rough condition but it's the only one sold on eBay in the last few months.  Some folks may consider it a bargain compared to recent sales.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 12:40:51 PM by Neo »