Author Topic: Postcards  (Read 28622 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Postcards
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »

[

If I'm not mistaken (and I rarely am  wynk), they still use that Atlantic City postcard design today.
Great cards, Jeff!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Happy to, Paul. I havent looked at this album in a couple years.

The pics above were ones i snapped back then when i first got the album. So i will get it out, and see what other cards of possible interest might be in there.

Side question, Paul. Do you think the lighter fluid would also remove the tape from some of these cards, as it works on posters? Or with them being slightly thicker card stock, could the fluid (the moisture) cause swelling/separation or maybe damage to them? Any idea or thought?

it might on these remove some ink, also, not sure.

But that tape looks like its brittle and dry and might come off with nothing (?)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
Thanks Ari, re: the writing on the back, tho, if i were to try the lighter fluid, I would be careful and dab only those tape areas.

On many (most) of them, the tape has come off very easily. It's more the tan residue mark left on many of the cards. Are those residue marks a permanent thing? Or is there anything that will remove or lessen their appearance?

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
Not sure, I know from POSTERS (thinner paper) often this tape somehow makes the paper SEE THROUGH when removed. Don't know how. So I suspect it permeates the paper.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »
Not sure, I know from POSTERS (thinner paper) often this tape somehow makes the paper SEE THROUGH when removed. Don't know how. So I suspect it permeates the paper.

It's not that these marks (or that the adhesive residue) has made these areas "see-thru"; but there remains those small, tan residue areas. Maybe the thicker postcard stock was a saving grace, of sorts?? Dunno, tho.  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 12:05:08 AM »
I wouldn't personally worry about it, the only value is the pleasure from having them and looking at them, (IMHO)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
I wouldn't personally worry about it, the only value is the pleasure from having them and looking at them, (IMHO)

True, true and true. I was more just curious, as postcards are not something i normally go for.

I love them. And the thing is... many have loosened from the album, as the tape has gotten so brittle and the a good number of the cards have broken free from the tape hinges. For those that have come loose, I removed the tape tabs (2 yrs ago).

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »
I love them too, haha, exactly the sort of thing I would buy if i saw them.
The fat boy postcard I got the other day, the lady had HUNDREDS of postcards, I asked if she would sell the lot in a deal, she said
$3 each or $2 each of you buy 200
So, for me thats not a good deal. :)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
I experimented with the lighter fluid, on a card that had been damaged and torn (way back in the day, when someone wanted the postage stamp, I'm guessing, so the upper left corner was gone).

There was tape (that hadn't fallen away and was secure on the card) and residue, yet the lighter fluid did nothing to remove either...  :'(

More testing, I guess, needs to be done.

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
good luck
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
Ari.. i will do as you suggested and leave them alone.

No need to risk the writing on the back, which, because these were all sent to the same Italian family in NY, tells a bit of a story, from others who were traveling in other parts of the world, and sharing their hellos etc with them.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:02:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
4 more cards. These were produced and printed in 1933, for The Century of Progress World's Fair held in Chicago. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_of_Progress). From what I read, the actual buildings were painted in bright, vibrant colors, so the cards must reflect the actual look of each.

The cards were printed by the Reuben H. Donnelley Corp, also in Chicago. All are copyright 1933. It appears that the original art for each was done in watercolor. The cards are all called "Deeptone (stamped on the back of each), maybe referring to the print process that produced the deep, rich color. None of these 4 were ever used, nor mailed.

"The Lagoon At Night"

"Owens-Illinois Glass Block Building"

"North Midway Luncheonette"

"Travel and Transport Building"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:19:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
If I'm not mistaken (and I rarely am  wynk), they still use that Atlantic City postcard design today.
Great cards, Jeff!

Thanks, amigo.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
LOVE THEM

(please change your will to something appropriate to this fact thanks)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2019, 01:03:08 AM »
I love old postcards.  Whenever I go to an antique show, I can spend so much time at the booths that have postcards, just thumbing through them.

I haven't come across any movie-related postcards, but I mostly collect pre-1930s cards, so they probably didn't make a lot of movie-related stuff for the public back then.

I collect old European towns (pre-WWII, before they all got bombed out).
And real photo postcards (RPPCs), which were developed from the negatives directly onto the card face.  They are often one-of-a-kind scenes showing fashion and social history.  They are also often hand-tinted, which lends a vibrant - if characteristic - vintage look to the images.