Author Topic: I gave APF & Mel's site a MAJOR plug in my club to 7,890 poster collectors!  (Read 4082 times)

Bruce

In my current e-mail club message, I gave APF & Mel's site a MAJOR plug to the 7,890 poster collectors who are members! Here's hoping it results in increased traffic for Mel's site and a bunch of new members here.

If you aren't a member, go to https://www.emovieposter.com/club/settings.php to join (it is free, and you get ONE email a week from us, and being on our e-mail list can NOT generate other e-mails to you, because we respect your privacy and we do not ever trade, rent or sell email addresses and you can "unsubcribe" any time.

Here is what I wrote:

Did you know how you can educate yourself on how to tell originals from reproductions?
     There are many people who start collecting without thinking about how to learn to not buy reproductions as originals (and to avoid being cheated in this way), and only later do they realize that they likely purchased at least a few reproductions as originals, and it is far too late to get their money back on those, so they sometimes take a considerable loss.

Here are some helpful tips on how best to protect yourself (and these will make you a far better "educated" collector, and the education will spread far beyond just telling originals from reproductions!

But first and foremost, you want to educate yourself about how to tell originals from repros, because this is where you can REALLY get taken for lots of money. A really good site to start with is http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html. The owner of the site, Mel Hutson (or Dread Pirate Mel on forums!) is a dedicated collector who has put a massive amount of effort into trying to find differences between originals and reproductions and he is a very nice guy who wants to help everyone else out (for free) and he puts what he finds on the above site as a "authentication", and he includes images of both the real and the fake poster, with helpful tips on how to tell them apart.

There are also many other sites on the Internet that contain a lot of information, but few of them have an easy to find major section on authenticating posters, so you have to go on each site and then find the portion of it that relates to this subject. You will also find much helpful information in our past e-mail club messages, which can be found on our website at https://www.emovieposter.com/club/archive.php (Note: You have to be registered for our auctions to view the current or past club messages). We even have a search that lets you search all 628+ past messages!

Another good way to learn more about movie posters is to visit http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com. This is a MASSIVE site with so much information that you couldn't read it all in a year! But explore the site and you will surely become a much more educated collector.

You also might consider going to one or more of the movie poster forums on the Internet. The best one (in our opinion) is http://www.allposterforum.com/. They have a large section solely devoted to Authentication. You can join the forums and ask questions, or you can simply be a "lurker" and read everyone else's posts anonymously without ever contributing!

Finally, the most important thing is that you purchase your posters from people who stand behind them! We at eMoviePoster.com have far and away the strongest policy on buyer protection. We have no time limit on our guarantees & NO buyer beware on ANYTHING we sell. We are the only auction we know of who offers refunds for mistakes even YEARS after the fact, and we are also the only one we know of who tracks down the buyers when we find any sort of mistake and doesn't wait for them to discover the mistake themselves!

Other auctions have their own policies on what they guarantee. Many of them do not guarantee ANYTHING. They have "buyer beware", which means that all sales are final, even if something proves to be a fake. Some auctions (and many dealers) may allow returns for some short period of time, but there are likely many conditions attached to that, and you want to find out from each seller you deal with how they guarantee what they sell, because it will vary greatly from auction to auction and from dealer to dealer.

In general, you certainly need to be cautious. If some deals seems "too good to be true", then they probably are! There are some long time eBay sellers who are notorious for selling fakes as originals (they mix in the fakes with real posters, to better fool newer collectors), and yet they have very high feedback with few bad ones (because they get eBay to remove the negatives, which eBay does, because they make lots of money from these sellers).

So if you are a relatively newer collector, then just keep educating yourself about our hobby by following the above suggestions, and over time you will learn more and more until you will feel you are an educated collector, and I promise you that this will be time well spent, because doing so will greatly help you avoid making costly errors in your collecting.

And remember that you can ALWAYS contact us if you have any question about any area of collecting, and we will surely reply to you. We don't take out giant ads and we don't print giant catalogs, and we use the money we save on those things to provide quality customer service to not only our customers, but also to all collectors!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:15:25 PM by Bruce »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Thanks Bruce... but why aren't we in bold?  I don't think anyone will notice.

But good for Mel.  His site does deserve the plug.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

It WAS bold in the club. I modified it above so it is now as it was.

It wasn't here because your site doesn't accept html directly, so I have to manually go in and add back in all the html.

Is there not some setting that would let me paste html in here and have it view correctly? Every other forum has that.

I will feel REALLY stupid if it turns out there already IS a way! But I would love to know what it is!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:18:35 PM by Bruce »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
What will you do when Mel starts holding his own auctions on his site?  ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
What will you do when Mel starts holding his own auctions on his site?  ;)

Personally, I will create a watch list and bid. He has a few I want! 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Personally, I will create a watch list and bid. He has a few I want! 

Gonna be a bitch to ship those frames!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
I wouldn't buy mels frames, as it seems they are not limited editions.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
I wouldn't buy mels frames, as it seems they are not limited editions.

;D

Since I have about 30( I lose count  :-\) I wont need them.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Thanks for the plug Bruce.  Of course, I'm pretty lazy and I only created MPC because all the earlier authentication sites went AWOL. 

As far as selling, I'm pretty sure somebody hypnotized me back in March 2009 ("From now on, you will live, breath, and sleep movie posters....") When the hypnosis wears off, FIRE SALE!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Hypnosis wearing off could also equal new girlfriend who just doesn't understand
Chris

Bruce

If that day ever comes, you will surely consign all your posters to one or more auctions, and sell the frames locally on Craigslist.

It would be a sad day for the hobby. :(

Charlie

I wouldn't buy mels frames...

You don't have to! A secret for all of you, if you just visit Mel in DC he will give you frames to take home! I have experienced this first hand leaving with two. He even left a poster in one of them.